In the Press

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: In the Press

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Jon Howe's latest LeedsLive column:-

Choose life. Choose Leeds United. Choose a Leeds United life. Except we never chose this, it just happened. And it keeps happening, with a dreaded sense of inevitability. But then when your life is on repeat, sometimes it can bring change. That’s the fundamental basis of how Marcelo Bielsa approaches football.

If repetition can change Stuart Dallas into the player we are currently witnessing, why can’t it change Leeds United's home form? The answer is, it probably will. But right now there’s a strange sense of nagging frustration that we can’t enjoy the dynamic, carefree football Leeds United are playing at Elland Road, because it isn’t bringing results. Consequently, we can’t enjoy being top of the league, because we’re living a Leeds United life; where the jarring familiarity of dropping crucial points is like a comfort blanket we never liked in the first place. It doesn’t bring us any comfort, because we should be seven points clear at the top of the table.

People call it a glass half empty approach, but you can’t escape the exasperation of Leeds missing out on what they deserve, particularly when nobody else is firing on all cylinders either. But maybe now is the time to have these hiccups? Despite winning all four of our away games so far, it still feels like Leeds United haven’t got going yet. And yet we are top of the league.

In normal circumstances that should serve as a warning to the rest of the division, except the rest of the division know that Leeds United are an enigma, and things just don’t happen how they should. There is an inescapable pressure, there is a rabid sense that Leeds United must get out of this league. There is a manic anxiety that skews balance and clouds rational thought, on players, performances, results and league status.

We know what this side is capable of, we just know what is more likely to happen; that’s a Leeds United life, and it effects everything. It is why Derby County’s 92nd minute equaliser felt like it was coming all throughout the second half of Saturday’s 1-1 draw, not because it was Derby County and there is some kind of media-fabricated rivalry that means they have the Indian sign over us, but because it was Leeds United, and that’s just what Leeds United do. There have been no better examples of this than in the last six months.

Breaking that cycle is proving to be the hardest task in football. But despite the vexation of dropped points, scuffed crosses, missed penalties and tamely conceded goals, the overwhelming evidence is that there is no better person to be at the helm than Marcelo Bielsa , and Leeds United are in such good shape because of him.

It’s important we take a step back and remember that, because Bielsa’s obsession with repetition is what will get us out of this rut of self-consciousness at Elland Road. We have enjoyed the fruits of how habits become second nature, and how people make better decisions, that is the basis of Bielsa’s coaching and results suggest it works, now is the time to demonstrate that faith. Without sounding like an X-Factor contestant, we are all on a journey, and it’s wonderful. And by now, we know that it is far more likely that Leeds United will continue to play brilliant football and start to put away these chances, than it is that they will lose form and plummet down the table. That is what everyone fears if we continue with this misfiring pattern of home results, but we won’t.

There’s no mathematical probability equation to prove that, but we only have to look at the last year to work out that these habits are now ingrained and these players will maintain a certain standard. Kalvin Phillips, Mateusz Klich, Liam Cooper, Stuart Dallas, they are all going to continue playing this way, and the magic will continue to happen, and it will turn into goals, at Elland Road. It just will. Because the historical travails of a Leeds United life are changing.

Of course, you can point to late goals conceded from one shot on goal and call it repetition. Certainly, walking away from Elland Road on Saturday felt exactly the same as after Nottingham Forest and Swansea. Leeds United deserved everything and it is hard to compute the injustice when there is so much at stake, but then you have to remember that it is September, this ride has barely even started yet, Leeds United are top of the league and Marcelo Bielsa is in charge.

Football is balanced on fine margins, and nobody knows that better than us, so there is nothing fundamentally wrong that a little bit of luck won’t change, and a team as good as Leeds United will not struggle for home form for long. And repetition of training drills, and pattern, and preparation will make sure things change. Oh, and Helder Costa.

In the madness of that equalising moment, it is natural to slam your seat down in disgust. There are few more shattering sounds than the echoing cacophony of seats being forcibly heaved to their extremities all around the ground, and clashing agonisingly with the otherwise deathly silence that a 92nd-minute equaliser brings. It is natural also to want to lash out; to shout at your friend, or the referee, or the ear-cupping nobody who has just ruined your Saturday night.

If you need someone to epitomise the new Leeds United life, then it's Kalvin Phillips. Nobody has demonstrably transformed themselves more than him. Nobody has evidenced their commitment more than him. And nobody has shown the value of repetition more than him. Keep doing the right things and good will come in the end.

Just when you feel like you’ve had enough of this, something will remind you why you signed up for it. That’s why we know that Leeds United will turn their home form around, because never being lower than fourth place in over a year, suggests that we are doing more right than wrong. That’s repetition, and familiarity; sometimes a slap in the face, but more often a warm embrace. That’s a Leeds United life, and it’s getting better. So hold on to it.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

It isn't the late goals, I agree, but for different reasons. If we were winning 3 - 0 (as we should be in most games) then the late goal would only be a minor irritant. Instead its a draw, or even worse, a loss.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

MB AND leeds win Fair Play award... so gone are the dirty Leeds chants...... NOT

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -equaliser
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Marcelo Bielsa's acceptance speech in full

"In the game Leeds vs Aston Villa of season '18-19 we scored a goal when the opponent accepted us to interpret the game. Immediately afterwards as the game resumed we solved the situation offering no resistance to our rival and allowed them to equalise and tie the march.

"FIFA has decided to recognise our behaviour. Naturally I would like to thank, share and dedicate the distinction recieved.

"To start with I want to think FIFA and also to Leeds United and its fans, who did not question my actions.

"They could have claimed that I had to respect the ruling of the official but instead accepted my particular interpretation of differentiating something that is legal between something that is fair.

"The fitness coach of the team Benoit Delaval and captain Liam Cooper are present at this event. The first significantly influence my decision and the second represents a player who had the extremely uncomfortable task of following my instructions.

"When choosing how to act, the most difficult thing is not distinguish between right and wrong but to accept the consequences of doing what corresponds.

"Whilst there are immediate effects the important thing is to consider how we feel when time passes and we review our behaviour.

"When, as in this case, there was no time to reflect and we had to intervene instantly, our reflexes are conditioned by education, examples, references.

"I want to mention my mother who always knew what was right and what was wrong. Also to Newell's Old Boys of Rosario, a club to which I belong where for 20 years I learned to live football in a particular way.

"There are permanent presences in my life such as my family and some friends who remind me of values that should not be forgotten. Football, due to its enormous impact, at time operates on some aspects of public morals and it is especially involved in the mouldings of lives of those who have less or are the weakest. It is not convenient to comment on realities that you imagine but do not live. However I think most of those who have less, chose to do the right thing.

"With great effort, they remain worthy and live in decency. The recognition that FIFA gives us today included them because it rewards the same behaviour that they anonymously live every day."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

As promised, from the latest issue of WSC :

And, just the text for those with small monitors or reading this on their phones :

SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Slaven Bilic's take on the Leeds fans:-

West Bromwich Albion boss Slaven Bilic hailed the influence of the Elland Road fan base, as he admitted the fans played their part in his side's first Championship defeat of the season.

The Baggies arrived in West Yorkshire to take on Leeds United as the league leaders on Tuesday evening, but were condemned to their first loss of the new campaign thanks to Gjanni Alioski's first-half strike.

That meant Leeds replaced the Baggies at the Championship summit, with former Croatia boss Bilic saluting the Elland Road atmosphere following the entertaining 1-0 defeat for his side.

"They are a good crowd, they are a very aggressive crowd," he said. "I would say one of the most aggressive I've played. They put pressure on the referee.

"It's Leeds, you know. This is Elland Road. It's very well known for that, so it's not easy to not come under that influence. It affects you a bit, Sometimes it's the last ten minutes, sometimes it lasts until half-time."

Alioski's deflected 38th minute strike proved to be the difference between the two sides, with Leeds putting in a sterling defensive effort in the second half, with Marcelo Bielsa's side having only 48 per cent of possession during the sold out fixture.

Bilic continued that he saw the defeat against a fellow promotion contender as a missed opportunity.

"Make no mistake, we knew where we were coming and against who we were playing tonight, but also we are in good form and we looked at this as a good opportunity for us also," he continued.

"In the first half they were more agressive. We knew that. They were missing a bit of flare with Hernandez, but they go, they go, they go, they go, they have a good transition and they scored a goal.

"[They were] a bit unlucky with the deflection but they took it well, with the left foot," he continued.

"In the second half to be fair I didn't see Leeds for a long time. To be on their back foot and defend like basically for th whole second half, although they created a few chances from counter attacks as they always will and our goalkeeper was really good. But we definitely deserved to score one goal and then what would happen, I don't know."

Not sure about his comments about the fans influencing the referee as the refs usual give us nothing.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Slaven Bilic's take on the Leeds fans:-

West Bromwich Albion boss Slaven Bilic hailed the influence of the Elland Road fan base, as he admitted the fans played their part in his side's first Championship defeat of the season.

The Baggies arrived in West Yorkshire to take on Leeds United as the league leaders on Tuesday evening, but were condemned to their first loss of the new campaign thanks to Gjanni Alioski's first-half strike.

That meant Leeds replaced the Baggies at the Championship summit, with former Croatia boss Bilic saluting the Elland Road atmosphere following the entertaining 1-0 defeat for his side.

"They are a good crowd, they are a very aggressive crowd," he said. "I would say one of the most aggressive I've played. They put pressure on the referee.

"It's Leeds, you know. This is Elland Road. It's very well known for that, so it's not easy to not come under that influence. It affects you a bit, Sometimes it's the last ten minutes, sometimes it lasts until half-time."

Alioski's deflected 38th minute strike proved to be the difference between the two sides, with Leeds putting in a sterling defensive effort in the second half, with Marcelo Bielsa's side having only 48 per cent of possession during the sold out fixture.

Bilic continued that he saw the defeat against a fellow promotion contender as a missed opportunity.

"Make no mistake, we knew where we were coming and against who we were playing tonight, but also we are in good form and we looked at this as a good opportunity for us also," he continued.

"In the first half they were more agressive. We knew that. They were missing a bit of flare with Hernandez, but they go, they go, they go, they go, they have a good transition and they scored a goal.

"[They were] a bit unlucky with the deflection but they took it well, with the left foot," he continued.

"In the second half to be fair I didn't see Leeds for a long time. To be on their back foot and defend like basically for th whole second half, although they created a few chances from counter attacks as they always will and our goalkeeper was really good. But we definitely deserved to score one goal and then what would happen, I don't know."

Not sure about his comments about the fans influencing the referee as the refs usual give us nothing.
Exactly! I like Bilic though, he says things how he sees them, and he's always praised Leeds as far as I remember.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Erling Haaland going to Anfield tonight:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49885026
JamesR
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by JamesR »