Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:People in Sunderland voted strongly for Leave, yet many of them are employed by Nissan.

Nissan has now said that due to uncertainties about Brexit, especially the potential impact of no deal, it is considering scaling down operations there and transferring activities to Spain.

I knew quite a few people from Sunderland when I was at uni and they certainly weren't thick. But to be so small-minded and put your own livelihood at risk I really don't understand.
Don't understand your logic. The referendum was in 2016. The announcement by Nissan was in 2019. Please explain to me how Sunderland Brexit voters could be 'small-minded? (I am assuming that Nissan didn't tell its workers, in 2016, that if they voted leave, they would move their factory). In any event NIssan will never move. Significant costs and logistical problems, plus the threatened boycott of all Nissan products in the UK, would concentrate minds.
Just more 'Project Fear'.
Nissan chose to set up European manufacturing in the UK because of its tariff-free access to the European market and, presumably, because the Japanese are more likely to have a command of English rather than other languages. The prospect of an action that potentially jeopardises the market access, ie voting Leave, was there in 2016.
Honda have stood down a lot of workers in Bristol. I was speaking to one of them yesterday and he explicitly said that it was down to Brexit.
If that's the Swindon plant didn't Honda say they are closing anyway and it's nothing to do with Brexit?
Although believe it was the unions that blamed Brexit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... s-47287386
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:People in Sunderland voted strongly for Leave, yet many of them are employed by Nissan.

Nissan has now said that due to uncertainties about Brexit, especially the potential impact of no deal, it is considering scaling down operations there and transferring activities to Spain.

I knew quite a few people from Sunderland when I was at uni and they certainly weren't thick. But to be so small-minded and put your own livelihood at risk I really don't understand.
Don't understand your logic. The referendum was in 2016. The announcement by Nissan was in 2019. Please explain to me how Sunderland Brexit voters could be 'small-minded? (I am assuming that Nissan didn't tell its workers, in 2016, that if they voted leave, they would move their factory). In any event NIssan will never move. Significant costs and logistical problems, plus the threatened boycott of all Nissan products in the UK, would concentrate minds.
Just more 'Project Fear'.
Nissan chose to set up European manufacturing in the UK because of its tariff-free access to the European market and, presumably, because the Japanese are more likely to have a command of English rather than other languages. The prospect of an action that potentially jeopardises the market access, ie voting Leave, was there in 2016.
Honda have stood down a lot of workers in Bristol. I was speaking to one of them yesterday and he explicitly said that it was down to Brexit.
If that's the Swindon plant didn't Honda say they are closing anyway and it's nothing to do with Brexit?
Although believe it was the unions that blamed Brexit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... s-47287386
No it was Bristol. More correctly the docks at Portbury and Avonmouth.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... t-property

I know its just one article and one opinion but it puts it better than i ever could.

I have to say my days of voting Labour are probably over.
Thankfully none of the Tories are interested in making money so it's OK to vote for them. :roll:
It would be interesting to know if he bought his property portfolio's before the 250% (estimate) rise in house prices under a Labour Government. I suppose its not a problem when you can afford to give your kids a treat.

Blair has little to do with Labour and hasn't for some time. He is not an MP and spends most of his time now, trying to undermine the Labour leadership. He is and was a charlatan like many politicians of all parties, he is a long way off being the only politician to have a property portfolio.

I personally prefer to ignore the MSM as we live in an era of vested interests, fake news and lies and in abundance.
I Look at official policies, and the key thing - voting records - of politicians and parties....these are readily available on the interweb.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

rigger wrote:We're all innocent in all this, mate - that's the problem :(

Absolutely.

I don't think there has ever been a time to compare (in my life time), with regards to the lies and manipulation, propaganda etc...

We should all be vigilant and not take anything we are told at face value. investigate, research and enlighten....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Frankie wrote:
rigger wrote:We're all innocent in all this, mate - that's the problem :(

Absolutely.

I don't think there has ever been a time to compare (in my life time), with regards to the lies and manipulation, propaganda etc...

We should all be vigilant and not take anything we are told at face value. investigate, research and enlighten....
Yes, I agree. The Treasury and Bank of England particularly have a lot to answer for.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Frankie wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... t-property

I know its just one article and one opinion but it puts it better than i ever could.

I have to say my days of voting Labour are probably over.
Thankfully none of the Tories are interested in making money so it's OK to vote for them. :roll:
It would be interesting to know if he bought his property portfolio's before the 250% (estimate) rise in house prices under a Labour Government. I suppose its not a problem when you can afford to give your kids a treat.

Blair has little to do with Labour and hasn't for some time. He is not an MP and spends most of his time now, trying to undermine the Labour leadership. He is and was a charlatan like many politicians of all parties, he is a long way off being the only politician to have a property portfolio.

I personally prefer to ignore the MSM as we live in an era of vested interests, fake news and lies and in abundance.
I Look at official policies, and the key thing - voting records - of politicians and parties....these are readily available on the interweb.
Generally agree with that. Once democracy is upheld, and Brexit is sorted and we have left, i will probably go back to knitting Union Jack cardigans instead.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

SKY have now launched a Brexit free news channel :D.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:SKY have now launched a Brexit free news channel :D.
I do like that the government have started putting adverts on tv saying we're leaving at the end of the month. It's as if they have finally woken up and realised that it's going to happen despite their efforts to block it.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Labour are starting to frustrate the hell out of me now. If there’s one thing I will take from the last 3 years it’s in future look beyond the Labour giveaway headlines and just study the people who are in the Labour party.

Before the 2016 Referendum it was said numerous times, on all the major politics shows, the news, newspapers ect ect that a vote to Leave would mean leaving both the customs union and the single market. Today Labour will table an amendment contradicting that position and now want to remain in the Customs Union with close single market alignment. Remain in all but name. BRINO.

In the 2017 General Election Manifestos both Labour & Conservative said they would honour the 2016 referendum result, what Labour didn’t state in that GE at the time was they would create 6 tests that in essence were the same as remaining.
So here we are over 3 years later and Labour is still unsure of what they really want. We now know they want a 2nd Referendum/confirmatory vote before we have had the first one confirmed, this despite numerous Labour politicians being on record saying that a 2nd referendum would be more divisive than the first. We know it will be more divisive and will lead to a 3rd 4th best of 5 vote.

We also know they don’t want a GE “after they effectively stole my vote in 2017” because they know people are furious with their stance. They talk about negotiating a new deal with the EU themselves and then campaigning against it in another Referendum. :lol: I don’t say this lightly, but I hope they pay a heavy price in the next GE for their ambiguity and in some cases down right deceit. They changed their minds purely for political reasons because of the Lib dems resurgence and imo it doesn’t get much lower than that.

Depending if Remainer Burkow sees fit? Parliament will vote on a new deal today.

Now, whether you are a leaver or remainer, whether you like Boris or not, I’m sure we can all agree that Boris Johnson has thrown himself into getting a deal and wanting to get Brexit done by the 31st of this month so we can all move on. Against all the odds, he’s managed to get the EU to re-open the Withdrawal Agreement and managed to negotiate a new deal which both the EU and the Remain side of the Conservative party will support, but yes you guessed it..THE LABOUR FRONT BENCH WON'T SUPPORT IT AGAIN.

They now claim this is a worse deal than Theresa May’s deal which they voted down 3 times.

Make your minds up you spineless bunch of hypocrites and VOTE FOR THE DEAL.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

That, Sir, is a fantastic post :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.