Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
johnh wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure there are many like me. If, say, someone mentions a new player at the rugby club with the comment 'he's Irish'. It would never cross my mind to ask 'NI or RoI. I have always looked on 'Ireland' as 'Ireland'.
I think that may be an age thing, John.
I probably would wonder, purely from an accent point of view because I love differentiating between them all.

Without knowing enough about the politics to make any proclamations from that side of things, I always thought it was a shame that Ireland wasn't one whole nation. I went to uni with a couple of girls from Enniskillen (spelling ?) and worked in central London during the IRA bombings when we'd often be sent home (to the pub !!) early and there was a sense of foreboding at times, and I could never get my head around why they couldn't just be one nation.

Religion.
The scourge of humanity.

:evil:
Thats a bit like saying I think it's a shame England just can't be part of Normandy :D . ( Not a great example for you mate as I know you wouldn't have an issue.) Religion (or those claiming their acts in the name of it) indeed has a lot to answer for but it's not all to do with that. It's a bit like that little talked about thingy Brexit. You can't tell by which party someone votes for Labour or Tories whether they are pro leave or remain, just as you can't say by their religion if they want to stay in the UK or join the Republic of Ireland.

Anyway, this is not the place to go into such divisive cr*p.

PS can I add that politics must have nearly as much to answer for as religion.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Like I said, I don't know enough about it ;)

As for the Normandy thing, I'd be happy with that being a quarter French :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Like I said, I don't know enough about it ;)

As for the Normandy thing, I'd be happy with that being a quarter French :D
Now known as "Rigger the Conquerer" :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Where do you think the phrase "de rigueur" comes from ?? ;)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Where do you think the phrase "de rigueur" comes from ?? ;)
Arse?

Tho I may be wrong my French is poor.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

kk_white wrote:
Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:I think there'll be a lot of new nation states being formed over the next decade or so.

Catalunia is the obvious starting point, but Scotland won't be far behind at this rate.
A unified Ireland maybe ?
Cornwall ?
Yorkshire ?
Maybe not, but you never know ..
People keep saying about a vote here in N.Ireland for a united Ireland. I honestly think that the majority of people in the Republic wouldn't want burdened with another six counties draining resources. Would they have a separate vote to see if they wanted us? Independent N.Ireland would need to be added as an option in any vote.
The latest polls I've seen Davy show roughly 62% of people in the Republic would like a united Ireland (those 2 words still feel strangely loaded to those of us of a particular age... :cry: )

While that number is way down from even 20 years ago, it should be noted that lot of those who favour it were simply asked if they would they like it, not would they actually vote for it if the economic realities were put before them. It is more of a romantic answer rather than logical.

It's much closer up your neck of the woods - last year 42% said that they would vote to join the Republic if there was a referendum, 45% said that they would rather remain in the UK and the rest were undecided.

Personally, as long as everyone stays safe and happy, it doesn't bother me what we are/aren't called :thumbup:
In the Ashcroft survey in NI about the attitude towards a united Ireland, the younger the age group the more likely it was that they would vote in favor of it. The younger generation are more connected, and travel more throughout the island than our generation or older ever did. I didn’t know anybody growing up that had been to Northern Ireland and I’m sure it was the same the other way around.

Now they go to concerts on Dublin or Belfast without thinking. They deal with one another in every sport aside from football and they go to see the sites on both sides of the border. This serves to remove the fear of the unknown. We have much in common while also understanding the seemingly intractable differences. I do think these will also fade in time or an acceptable accommodation will be reached.

There can be real benefits to a single island economy. Both sides of the illogical border are seriously impoverished from its existence. Our food, fishing, agriculture and tourism industries are deeply linked and benefit from working together. We share hospitals and colleges to a considerable extent.

Of all the options, the least likely to work is an independent NI. The amount of support given by the taxpayer in the UK to support it currently indicates the challenge of being able to sustain an area so small without considerable natural resources. A unified Ireland would have to be supported as well for a time at least - shared between the EU and GB :shock: !

Peace remains the main aim for everyone on the island. Prosperity for all, working and playing/competing together are the cement of the peace. That’s why keeping the border at it’s current invisible state was, and remains, critical in the Brexit plans. The trend after that is to closer dealings and, at some time, a real calm discussion on what will work for everyone politically. That’s a decade or two off in my opinion.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Come on now Corbyn man-up, and lets have the General Election you have been calling out for the last 3 years. So in principle it looks like Labour did the right thing yesterday by voting for the BJ deal, but in truth it was a bogus vote, because they then went on to vote for a further delay so they can scrutinise, what is essentially TM deal without the Irish Backstop and we all know how long they have been debating that.

I'm sounding like a Parrot i know but there will be no suitable Brexit deal passed in the HOC because we have been stuck with a 75% Remain Parliament for the last 3 years who do not want to Leave. Parliament after voting for Bj's deal were already talking about the what wrecking Amendments they can attached. There is no way a Conservative PM will ever agree to another Referendum without implementing the first vote. It would finish them. For the life of me i can't understand, especially now the commons numbers are there for a deal, why the EU would agree to another extension? What happened to the EU mantra... its this deal or no deal so get on with it?

The fact that Labour are prepared to Leave BJ and the country at large, essentially sat there like lame ducks in a zombie parliament, shows how serious they are about the leaving the EU.

A general election is a gamble no doubt but we can't go on like this any longer with that Parliament. Labour will no doubt fight the Election about Austerity again, and all i would say to that is this. I don't know if the cuts were a necessary evil that's for economists to argue, i certainly think they went too far and too quickly, but without the financial crash would we have been in the mess at all? Being a bit more informed, i am a little more careful who i point the finger at when it comes to Austerity. Imo ifs its true (again only speculation on my part) that the hard fiscal work as been done over the last 10 years then i am willing to allow the Conservative government another 5 years to sow the seeds of that hard work.

I appreciate in Old industrial towns up and down the country a vote for a Conservative Government will be a bitter pill to swallow, but if you believe in getting Brexit done it may imo be a pill worth swallowing.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

No one really knows what will happen in a GE, Corbyn always thinks he'll win - Labour see the 2017 election as a success even if they didn't win and believe its a matter of time. Then again the far left have been lying low during the Blair years knowing it's just a matter of time before its their turn to take control.
Johnson is hoping the people vs parliament angle will swing it, and comments such as people bemoaning a "75% remain parliament" seem to imply its working a bit, however does not mean it will transfer over as votes. A sizeable chunk may still go for the Brexit Party if its felt Johnsons deal is no near enough a no-deal that some want. However it may be enough to still give a working majority because Labour will lose votes, both remain and leave voters because of their stance.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Anyone watching the new Ed Balls Documentary will know its not just the British wanting Governments to show a bit more patriotism. I'm all for Globalisation in a trading sense, but maybe Tony Blair should have consulted the population at the time when he decided to turn on the taps of immigration. After the financial crash, austerity whilst free movement continued was a combination that some people found hard to understand, myself included.

No celebrations from me. Just happy knowing that Democracy was upheld. Looking forward to see what change being a Independent country will bring in the next 20 years. :thumbup: