Refereeing decisions (awful)

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Refereeing decisions (awful)

Post by johnh »

The classic is obviously the one by referee Tinkler which allowed the offside goal for WBA against Leeds. However, my two are from the same Sunday League game in Leeds, in the early 1960's. A cross came into the opposition penalty area and the opposition centre-half punched the ball away with his fist. The ball went out of play behind the goal. We all appealed for a penalty but the ref said he couldn't give it because the pitch wasn't marked properly and he couldn't see if the centre-half was in the area. (He was on about the penalty spot). Instead of giving a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area (or a corner) he gave a goal kick.
We had a winger who was a bit quick. He ran down the wing close to the touchline, tapped the ball inside the full-back and ran round the outside. While doing this, he ran several inches over the touch line. The ref blew up and awarded the opposition a free-kick and booked our winger for 'leaving the pitch without permission'. :shock:
Sunday football provided some good laughs. :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Refereeing decisions (awful)

Post by Another Northern Soul »

johnh wrote:The classic is obviously the one by referee Tinkler which allowed the offside goal for WBA against Leeds. However, my two are from the same Sunday League game in Leeds, in the early 1960's. A cross came into the opposition penalty area and the opposition centre-half punched the ball away with his fist. The ball went out of play behind the goal. We all appealed for a penalty but the ref said he couldn't give it because the pitch wasn't marked properly and he couldn't see if the centre-half was in the area. (He was on about the penalty spot). Instead of giving a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area (or a corner) he gave a goal kick.
We had a winger who was a bit quick. He ran down the wing close to the touchline, tapped the ball inside the full-back and ran round the outside. While doing this, he ran several inches over the touch line. The ref blew up and awarded the opposition a free-kick and booked our winger for 'leaving the pitch without permission'. :shock:
Sunday football provided some good laughs. :lol:
I was once penalised when taking a throw-in, the ref said, and I quote, 'Too much spin on the ball.' :crazy:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Refereeing decisions (awful)

Post by Selby White »

Think Refs attend a special school to come up with these things.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.