Chuffing heck

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Chuffing heck

Post by johnh »

kk_white wrote:Crazy weather here in west of Ireland.

Living in a very rural area, drove 5 miles into local village. About 2 miles outside, a tropical type downpour hit, had to slow to 20 mph. Got to village and it stopped.
15 mins later, left the village and same spot 2 miles outside was still downpour, it hadn't moved... :crazy:
Got home (3 more miles) and ground was dry as a bone.
Years ago, I remember seeing a live TV report by John Motson from a football ground. He was in his usual sheepskin jacket and he was stood in a blizzard. The snow on the pitch was about 3 inches deep and I assumed he was somewhere up north. Then he mentioned that he was at Wycombe Wanderers ground. Their ground is about 8 miles from our front door and it was dry as a bone where we were!
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Just cycled home up the promenade from work into wind and rain. Its wild......
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Expecting 37 degrees and very windy tomorrow which is the reason all day at work today i've have being receiving high fire danger alerts and catastrophic conditions warnings. 2 hours up the road in a place called Taree and a place i've visited a few times (Port Macquarie) have fires all around them and out of control. Can say not looking forward to the heat and smoke if it comes down our way.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Mr Russell wrote:Expecting 37 degrees and very windy tomorrow which is the reason all day at work today i've have being receiving high fire danger alerts and catastrophic conditions warnings. 2 hours up the road in a place called Taree and a place i've visited a few times (Port Macquarie) have fires all around them and out of control. Can say not looking forward to the heat and smoke if it comes down our way.
You keep safe Mr Russell.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:Expecting 37 degrees and very windy tomorrow which is the reason all day at work today i've have being receiving high fire danger alerts and catastrophic conditions warnings. 2 hours up the road in a place called Taree and a place i've visited a few times (Port Macquarie) have fires all around them and out of control. Can say not looking forward to the heat and smoke if it comes down our way.
Well said John, spoken for all of us :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:
Well said John, spoken for all of us :thumbup:

Thank you and will do!

so far this morning, its ok but the smoke haze and smell is very strong. Hopefully it will be not as bad as theres saying it could be, fingers crossed. Got to work fine but already hearing sirens heading out of the city.

Some fires have come a bit closer, Forster which is about 90 mins drive away but luckily for those people the fire service have them under control but the ones 2hrs away are still out of control.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Indeed keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Well that was a very hot day but thankfully a cool change came through around 8-9pm last night, the winds would not have helped the conditions even if the it was making it cooler.

closest fires to me were about 45 minutes away and one got to a red warning before being downgraded late in the day. Over 170 houses lost to the fires in NSW and i dread to think of what the loss of wildlife in the area was especially to animals which are not mobile (like Koalas).

They suspect the one around Sydney was deliberate lit which is being investigated.

The smell of smoke is still around and temps have dropped to around 25 today in most places, only one fire is now a at a red zone but there are still many around the state which are still not contolled especially in the national parks.

Over 200 schools still closed and the XPT train service which goes through country NSW is closed (XPT is like an intercity 125 but with different colours) and there is still a total fire ban in place. Expect the weather to heat up again on Friday, so although its not as bad as it was we are still on high alert for the next few days.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Getting near to flooding here our local nature reserve on the River Trent is near to overflow, local pub shut due to flooding. Sandbags at the ready.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Getting near to flooding here our local nature reserve on the River Trent is near to overflow, local pub shut due to flooding. Sandbags at the ready.
Hope you stay dry mate, been there, a real heartache it is. Probably have done but move stuff up stairs especially any paperwork you may not think about. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders