Knock knock ( Not a joke )

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Knock knock ( Not a joke )

Post by NottinghamWhite »

This morning at 02:05 there was a loud knocking on our front door I went down to investigate & as I approached the front door I asked who was there, police came the answer. I opened the door to find two uniformed officers on our door step. I invited them in & they said for me to sit down as they had bad news for me. They told me my brother, Trevor had been involved in a fatal accident ( a fire to be exact )on a houseboat in Northampton. I said my brother didn’t live anywhere near Northampton but lives in Goole. They then started asking me various questions & when they said his DOB I said that they were at least 15 years out. Half an hour later they seemed happy with what I’d said & left. It’s left Sue & I really shaken & I’ve not been back to sleep. No real explanation was forthcoming & at 07:00 I phoned my sister in law to be told the police had not contacted them. Surely they can’t go knocking up folk in the middle of the night ?
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Knock knock ( Not a joke )

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:This morning at 02:05 there was a loud knocking on our front door I went down to investigate & as I approached the front door I asked who was there, police came the answer. I opened the door to find two uniformed officers on our door step. I invited them in & they said for me to sit down as they had bad news for me. They told me my brother, Trevor had been involved in a fatal accident ( a fire to be exact )on a houseboat in Northampton. I said my brother didn’t live anywhere near Northampton but lives in Goole. They then started asking me various questions & when they said his DOB I said that they were at least 15 years out. Half an hour later they seemed happy with what I’d said & left. It’s left Sue & I really shaken & I’ve not been back to sleep. No real explanation was forthcoming & at 07:00 I phoned my sister in law to be told the police had not contacted them. Surely they can’t go knocking up folk in the middle of the night ?
Oh man that's terrible, mate. Have you managed to reach your brother then?

Best wishes to you all Phil, that is a staggering story.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Yes Rob I spoke to his wife at 07:00 this morning. Obviously the death was not an accident but they never really said anything just kept asking questions. What I can’t understand is why no contact has been made with my brother in Goole.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Firstly Phil thoughts are with you and Sue. Did they say your brothers name or were you first to mention it, did they show you identification? No mention of a fatality re a fire on a boat in Northampton local news. I'd be inclined to call your local station and ask for anymore information as to the call out.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Sounds like a sick joke or an incompetent police force in your area who can't get the right details/people.

You sure they were real police? I'd contact the station and get answers/explanation as to why they came and why they got the wrong people. If you have a good MP get them involved.

The main thing is your brother is alive and well.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Davycc wrote:Firstly Phil thoughts are with you and Sue. Did they say your brothers name or were you first to mention it, did they show you identification? no mention of a fatality re a fire on a boat in Northampton local news. I'd be inclined to call your local station and ask for anymore information as to the call out.
They said my brother’s name, no they didn’t show any identification but they came in a police car. First thing I did was google to see if there was any press reports about a fatal houseboat fire.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

How odd.

I am right in thinking your brother is okay, given you spoke to his wife ??
You didn't actually say either way ..
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

rigger wrote:How odd.

Yes Mate he’s fine she actually went to check on him. As I say what I find odd is why at that time of morning ?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:How odd.

He has mate, not directly though, in his reply to my question.

Absolutely bizarre situation.

I had a mate who died on a houseboat fire. I named a story character after him as a kind of tribute.

Sorry for your troubles, Phil!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I know you said they came in a police car, but they should still show you ID when they first meet you.

I would go to your local cop shop and tell them about the whole thing.
It doesn't sound right to me.
I don't know if they'd knock you up in the middle of the night for a brother ?
For a parent or child, then yes, but a brother ??
Especially if he's married.
Most people put ICE contacts as their partner/spouse, not a brother or sister unless they're not married, but he was so why would you get the call at that time or indeed at any time ??

It sounds rum to me, I'm afraid :problem: