Most shots in the box

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Most shots in the box

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Most shots from inside the penalty area in the Championship this season:

1⃣ Patrick Bamford - 62
2⃣ Ollie Watkins - 58
3⃣ Aleksandar Mitrovic - 56
4⃣ Lukas Jutkiewicz - 54
5⃣ Jarrod Bowen - 48
6⃣ Sean Maguire - 46
7⃣ Andre Ayew - 44
8⃣ Martyn Waghorn - 43
9⃣ Conor Chaplin - 42
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Most shots in the box

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Wow just wow.

In my eyes any shot inside the box is a good goalscoring chance. This just shows what we already know but still shocking to see.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

HalifaxWhite wrote:Wow just wow.

In my eyes any shot inside the box is a good goalscoring chance. This just shows what we already know but still shocking to see.
Not sure We really believe that all shots from inside the box are all the same level of chance. Can't compare a tap in from 2 yards out to one from a tight angle through a crowded box as the same.

Think we as a team (including Bamford) have been better and more clinical on the break when more space is available, we've scored a few cracking length of the field moves.
The vast number of our chances are often in crowded areas from difficult angles with lots of bodies blocking.
This is due to our possession domination.

I believe dominating possession even if we don't create clear chances is down a lot to our system of one up which often relies on midfielders getting forward to support the attacker.

I know some argue two up would be a plan but I suspect with the team we have we wouldn't dominate possession but arguably create better but less chances. That may or may not achieve more goals.

However against that I think our defence would have to deal with more and that may exploit our lack of height at the back. More possession for opponents means more balls into our area.

Just my thoughts and I for one am happy with the way the league looks.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

I tend to agree with you comments above Selby White ^^^^^^

If you look at the goal Chris Martin scored against us v Derby - It came via a break, hence less opposition in the box - To many times we have to pick a hole through a mass of bodies - Many times the opposition have 10 players behind the ball when we play them, as per Sheff Wed last week

Granted he missed a great opportunity against S Wed last week - But when I got home I watched the Spurs v Liverpool game and Spurs missed more glaring chances than we did - One so bad that Jose had to smile about it

Personally I think a plan B would be a good option and that would involve a Chris Wood style impact player that can come on, as required, to play the last 30 mins, as required, to play along side Bamford - Strong in the box/air and be a pain to the opposition central defence within the box

Different strikers can achieve the required results in different ways - Leicester rely so heavily on the break, with Vardy - I believe they won the title with less possession and shots than other teams - But a clinical break produced the goods many times

The Man City approach is a better version of ours, by creating umpteen chances during a game - Create enough and sooner or later you'll score goals - However they have wide players who will attack far more in the box than our wide players do - This creates far more chances and asks far more questions of the defensive teams - Without the likes of a Siaz, we don't tend to create as many clear cut chances in the same way that Man City can

In my opinion a goal scoring #10 like Siaz, with flair around the box is still needed - I think Pablo could be an option - Otherwise a J Bowen from Hull would be ideal - A natural goal scoring midfield player who can get 10-15 a season and take some pressure of Bamford

Costa and Harrison both need to wade in with far more goals than already provided and ditto Klich

Will be interesting to see how Fulham handle the situation without Mitrovic, but looks like his absence will be less time than first thought
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Pretty much my view on it too. As I posted a couple of days ago on a different thread:

"Just a thought. We press high, the opposition have 8 players inside their 18 yard box. We can't score because we can't find a way through the bodies, they boot the ball up field and the two on the half way line have a 2-on-1 with Kiko with our defence racing back to try and cover. The opposition have a better chance of scoring on the break because of the way we play. Is that frustrating? Damned right. Would I change it? Not in a million years."

Apologies for the self-referencing.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:Pretty much my view on it too. As I posted a couple of days ago on a different thread:

"Just a thought. We press high, the opposition have 8 players inside their 18 yard box. We can't score because we can't find a way through the bodies, they boot the ball up field and the two on the half way line have a 2-on-1 with Kiko with our defence racing back to try and cover. The opposition have a better chance of scoring on the break because of the way we play. Is that frustrating? Damned right. Would I change it? Not in a million years."

Apologies for the self-referencing.
Exactly it Sniffer and because of the way we play and looking at it from the other end it suits us to have quick mobile CB's such as White. If we changed we would then need different types of defenders as our weaknesses would be exploited more.

Think it's a case of you buy into the Bielsa methods or not, for me I'm loving this period of our history :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.