Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by johnh »

During my long life I have always considered Britain to be the most democratic country on the planet. To a certain extent, democracy has also been taken for granted for this reason. I break out in a cold sweat when I think about how close we came to destroying democracy in this country and how close the wealthy liberal elite came to achieving it. I will not be celebrating either, maybe just a toast in single malt to 'democracy'.
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Hi folks, very little to do with me here in Rep of Ireland (although the ramifications may impact us for years), but genuine question: what are your thoughts on Farage et al singing Auld Lang Syne and waving Union Jacks in the European Parliament on your last day? I thought some MEP's looked genuinely embarrassed?
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I have no words .. it's bad enough with drunken lager louts of both sexes embarrassing the country around the world, let alone Europe, but Farage and Boris take it to a whole new level ..
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

kk_white wrote:Hi folks, very little to do with me here in Rep of Ireland (although the ramifications may impact us for years), but genuine question: what are your thoughts on Farage et al singing Auld Lang Syne and waving Union Jacks in the European Parliament on your last day? I thought some MEP's looked genuinely embarrassed?
I think it was all the MEPs singing Auld Lang Syne. A genuine show of sadness and loss.
Farage and his bunch of louts waving their little flags (or Jacking off as it is now known in the European Parliament) were an embarrassment. But the man appears to be devoid of any shame so I don't suppose he cares what anyone else thinks.
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

johnh wrote:During my long life I have always considered Britain to be the most democratic country on the planet. To a certain extent, democracy has also been taken for granted for this reason. I break out in a cold sweat when I think about how close we came to destroying democracy in this country and how close the wealthy liberal elite came to achieving it. I will not be celebrating either, maybe just a toast in single malt to 'democracy'.
really?

there is clear evidence that the majority would now be for remain. Every single poll in the last 2 years has shown a varying majority for remain. Indeed the GE in December saw more people voting for anti brexit parties, ie snp labour sdp than probrexit ie tory and brexit .

I am not a remoaner, its fair to say that the country is pretty much split down the middle so half the country will be disappointed whatever were to happen.

I am annoyed though with this so called transition period, we lose our right to be involved in making rules but still have to follow all eu rules including freedom of movement and paying in.....that being the case we should maintain a presence in Brussels.....or be released from all eu obligations now,
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

johnh wrote:During my long life I have always considered Britain to be the most democratic country on the planet. To a certain extent, democracy has also been taken for granted for this reason. I break out in a cold sweat when I think about how close we came to destroying democracy in this country and how close the wealthy liberal elite came to achieving it. I will not be celebrating either, maybe just a toast in single malt to 'democracy'.
I’ve argued it before here that Britain’s version of democracy has only a tenuous connection to representative democracy. The single elected representative per constituency along with the first past the post system leaves huge numbers of people under represented in parliament. It is destined to maintain the two party system which may not serve the people as required in the future. It has poorly served you for the last four years in particular.

Being from Ireland, it is a pity to see the UK leave as we had much in common to push or defend in Europe. This will also undoubtedly impact on our economy for years to come, but we’ve been through much worse. I do wish you all the best of luck in the uncharted waters you’re heading into.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I can't be the only one who want's the UK to have a competitive advantage outside the EU? Clair Fox gives a honest assessment of the EU "Gravy Train"

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/gravy-train-a-fir ... as-an-mep/

Not for me sorry. They can enjoy their prawn sandwiches and Champagne lunches on the Irish from now on. ;) :angel:
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I can't be the only one who want's the UK to have a competitive advantage outside the EU? Clair Fox gives a honest assessment of the EU "Gravy Train"

Not for me sorry. They can enjoy their prawn sandwiches and Champagne lunches on the Irish from now on. ;) :angel:
Any individual MP in the House of Commons has little or no power either unless they happen to hold the balance of power in parliament.

Also, don’t fool yourself about their not being a gravy train anywhere power resides. Sadly, it is human nature and not country specific.

Finally, from an Irish point of view we know well that the EU isn’t perfect but we have faired far better in it than being on our own, and also far better than when we were in that other union which was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. ;) That’s why the all in nature of the EU was the best option, academic now I know.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I'm with you in saying they are all on the train at some level, but i was unaware of how much gravy MEP's are on. I'm sure i would have been singing Auld Lang Syne with a tear in my eye knowing that i would be losing a job with that many benefits. Very lavish lifestyle indeed. I would argue there is probably not that many people around Europe who are aware of how much they earn and the perks involved.... probably for good reason.

Is it justified? My Banana is straight enough thanks. :lolno:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

White Knight wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I can't be the only one who want's the UK to have a competitive advantage outside the EU? Clair Fox gives a honest assessment of the EU "Gravy Train"

Any individual MP in the House of Commons has little or no power either unless they happen to hold the balance of power in parliament.

Also, don’t fool yourself about their not being a gravy train anywhere power resides. Sadly, it is human nature and not country specific.

Finally, from an Irish point of view we know well that the EU isn’t perfect but we have faired far better in it than being on our own, and also far better than when we were in that other union which was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. ;) That’s why the all in nature of the EU was the best option, academic now I know.
Ireland have become a net contributor for the first time. It depends on how that bill increases in coming years.
I once played against Don Revie.