Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Selby White wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote: Pretty simple SW, we have a team and a style of play that creates 6 million chances per game so some are bound to go in.

I know we have disagreed in the past over this type of thing but the facts are there as much as you look at the positive angle.
We disagreed ?

No you didn't disagree you were abusive and disrespectful and that's why I tend to now ignore your posts and I'd rather debate with others whether agree or not with their opinion.
Yes you apologised when others pointed out your wording was aggressive but that was with added sarcasm calling me notorious.

But to answer you because you seem to believe shots on goal should all be classed as clears chances. I've said it before the statistics aren't the full story as you can't class a shot through a packed penalty area the same as a tap in from a couple of yards. Each chance should be judged on its own merit.
Clear chances are few and far between against a packed defence so possession doesn't always mean lots of easy chances.

Take a look at these figures :-
Possession 69% to 31%
Shots 16 to 4
On target 3 to 2
Corners 7 to 1
Result 0 - 1

Another :-
Possession 70% to 30%
Shots 20 to 11
On target 6 to 3
Corners 9 to 2
Result 1 - 2

What do those tell us ?

The side dominating don't always win in fact if you look through all Championship matches it happens often.

But one thing we can't do is point the finger at Bamford or Casilla for the above two matches.

Why ?

Because the top one is a West Brom match (versus Stoke) while the 2nd is Fulham versus Reading.
It happens to the best of us. :D

I'll say it again good chances are hard to come by when you have lots of possession and face a packed defence.

Yes we would all like better players in our team and i think Augustin will be a step up once fit but doesn't have the movement yet (believe Kalvin Phillips said similar in his interview after Brentford).

As for Kiko we are all worried by his recent slump but if you've read my earlier posts my concern with regards to Meslier is that he stays on his line and that may cost us more than Kikos 4 errors have done. I like Meslier and wouldn't see it as a problem if we had two big centre halfs that dominated in the air.
Nobody knows the answer but I trust the judgement of those that see a lot more of them and wont be joining any Bielsa Out campaigns just yet.

Its my opinion and others quite rightly are entitled to theirs, I won't be abusing them for it.
Okay I wasn't abusive don't be so melodramatic. If you can't accept an apology and move on as a fully grown man that is your issue and I will wait until you feel grown up enough to play with me again.

Good examples above but that is two matches cherry picked from two thirds of a season. Sample size is everything. I work in statistical analysis and that is the most basic error most people make, small samples, cherry picked to fit an answer rather than starting with a question and pulling a full data set, then derive the answer.

I'm not being a know it all and my view is also very much based on opinion. It would be interesting if anybody on here has a full set of statistics around this. No they don't tell the whole story but there is a reason so much is built around data and statistics nowawadays.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Melodramatic not grown up there you go again. :crazy:

For the record the two games were not cherry picked just two from last month. Feel free to check others.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

From a report (https://www.teamtalk.com/) on the press conference
“Casilla is going to play and Bamford as well,” said Bielsa, who said that the club picked up no new problems against Brentford in midweek. “Nothing new. All the players who played Brentford are in good condition to play Bristol.”

Bielsa continued: “I don’t support Kiko, I support the team. If supporting Kiko is supporting the team, I support Kiko. If I support Kiko, but damage the team, I will not support Kiko. When one manager takes a decision on an important position he analyses a lot of situations.

“It’s not just about if we have one player in his position who can play there instead. Leeds have one player – Meslier. Honestly, a long time, I didn’t see one young player like him with his level of resources. You also verified this against Arsenal.

“It’s not just knowing we have a player in good condition like Meslier which make you take the decision to switch them. That’s important. I want to add I do not ignore Kiko’s mistakes. They are evident.

“Also, it’s true the consequence of his mistakes are linked with our results, but I give importance to Kiko, in the same matches, and previous, kept confidence in himself. He continues giving the right answers in every situation in the game.

“Other goalkeepers, when they fail aerially, in the next situation they are between the posts. Other keepers when they give a good pass, after they start to play long. Other keepers when they make mistakes, they lose the confidence of his team-mates.

“After you have team-mates, when they realise he made mistakes, they don’t give him the ball anymore. Kiko keep the confidence in himself, he keep the confidence of his team-mates. He lost the confidence expressed in the press and media. Something we know.”
So people can point out Kiko's mistakes. Bielsa is aware of them, he is also aware of Mesliers performances, but he will continue to play Kiko whilst kiko has the support of the team.

They are a family, family support family and don't kick someone when they are down.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

I'd worry a little about Mesliers overall physical attributes. A one off, free shot at Arsenal is one thing, but putting up with Championship centre forwards and centre backs every week is a different proposition. He's still very young. Can expect him to put on a stone or so in the coming years.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

kk_white wrote:I'd worry a little about Mesliers overall physical attributes. A one off, free shot at Arsenal is one thing, but putting up with Championship centre forwards and centre backs every week is a different proposition. He's still very young. Can expect him to put on a stone or so in the coming years.
Think it was after the Arsenal game where he looked good that Bielsa said there is one area of his game that needs work. I think you hit the nail on the head here KK :thumbup:
One thing I've not seen him do is come for crosses even at U23 level, important part of the game given our central defenders lack of height.

Of course its a debatable point whether not coming out at all for crosses would cost us more goals or coming for everything like Kiko and getting a few wrong (its cost us arguably 4 goals in 32 games). When i did some football coaching back in the day(at a low level works team both senior & juniors so not pretending to be a Bielsa) the importance of making a challenge even if you don't win the ball often is enough to put the striker off and not give a free header.
Yes we want a keeper that comes for everything but wins everything but we don't have that.

MB's job of course is to decide the best/worst case scenario.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Selby White wrote:
kk_white wrote:I'd worry a little about Mesliers overall physical attributes. A one off, free shot at Arsenal is one thing, but putting up with Championship centre forwards and centre backs every week is a different proposition. He's still very young. Can expect him to put on a stone or so in the coming years.
Think it was after the Arsenal game where he looked good that Bielsa said there is one area of his game that needs work. I think you hit the nail on the head here KK :thumbup:
One thing I've not seen him do is come for crosses even at U23 level, important part of the game given our central defenders lack of height.

Of course its a debatable point whether not coming out at all for crosses would cost us more goals or coming for everything like Kiko and getting a few wrong (its cost us arguably 4 goals in 32 games). When i did some football coaching back in the day(at a low level works team both senior & juniors so not pretending to be a Bielsa) the importance of making a challenge even if you don't win the ball often is enough to put the striker off and not give a free header.
Yes we want a keeper that comes for everything but wins everything but we don't have that.

MB's job of course is to decide the best/worst case scenario.
Yep. As my old, very amateur, coach used to say: "Just make sure you get some xxxxing thing on it, or him!!!" :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Although not much to do am happy for Kiko that he kept a clean sheet following all the stick he's had. :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:Although not much to do am happy for Kiko that he kept a clean sheet following all the stick he's had. :D
Can only be good for him, the team and ultimately us fans.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
Selby White wrote:Although not much to do am happy for Kiko that he kept a clean sheet following all the stick he's had. :D
Can only be good for him, the team and ultimately us fans.
Absolutely Davy confidence is massive at all levels of sport, lets have a few more.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

The thing is KK, Kiko is muck at dealing with Championship centre forwards and he has no presence in the box so at worst Meslier will match him. Any better and we have a better keeper.

I have said previously on here that, as much as it annoyed me and cost us, his mistake V Brentford is just a probably only a one off. Most outfield players will do this every odd game and no one remembers it. My problem with him is his likelihood of being caught at the near post for a shot (unforgivable) and his total lack of physical presence in the box.

For this reason we would fair no less with Meslier. We would fair better with his distribution from his passing, he is a cracking penalty saver and at 6’6”(or there abouts) a little work should see him fielding many opposition crosses. He is rated at French international level for a reason.