Old Grounds

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Old Grounds

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The City Ground !

Another I'd forgotten about.
Best pasties in the league .. I think .. I was pretty drunk, but definitely had two :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:The City Ground !

Best pasties in the league .. I think .. I was pretty drunk, but definitely had two :D
The Soup wasn't too bad :crazy: remember when the away fans were housed in the terracing along the side some Forest fans in the seats above decided throwing it at us was a fun idea. :evil:

On one trip to the City ground my car broke down just outside Nottingham, booked it in a local garage to get repaired and hitched a lift on a Milk Float of all things arriving at the ground just in time for KO. Managed to get a lift back on the York branch coach as knew a few of the members.
Had to return a few days later to collect my car. Moral of the story don't buy an Austin Allegro. 8-)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Talking Grounds no longer with us how about the McCain Stadium (although think it was called something else at the time) in Scarborough.

Not sure we ever played them in anger but definitely went there on two or three occasions for Pre-season friendlies.
Remember getting in the Supporters Club Bar after one of the games for a beer and met a few of the players, ours not theirs.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Slightly off topic but with Scarborough I went to see them at Wembley in 71 or 72 in the Amateur Cup final where they beat Wigan Athletic to win the cup. Since that time Scarborough have gone bust & are now working their way up the leagues & Wigan have played in the Premiership. Funny old game innit. Their ground was on Seamer Road & was named of the local chip makers The McCain Stadium. They’ve now moved out of that ground & are now in a new purpose built flat pack stadia.
Winner of the Europa League
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

My first away matches were played at Goldstone Ground and Plough Lane, 1985.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

I'm a bit confused as I thought this thread was about grounds that are no longer in use......
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

mapperleywhite wrote:

I'm a bit confused as I thought this thread was about grounds that are no longer in use......
So did I :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:

So did I :)
It was and I'm as guilty and started the thread :oops:

Still all great memories though :thumbup:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sorry. I'm feeling a bit old myself tonight... My mind is obviously going a bit here :wtf:
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

rigger wrote:Thought of another one : Histon.

Proper non-league ground with a pitch more suitable for a WWI re-enactment.
Wasn't always like that. I lived in Histon for about 10 years coinciding with that Sunday afternoon. Steve Fallon was sometimes my doubles partner at Histon Tennis Club and I enjoyed several lockins at the Railway By with him. I even went to John Beck's home once. The only time in my life I felt split loyalty as it was Boston's cup final. Happy Days!