Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Nostalgia

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

NW, you may be able to answer this. I'm pretty sure the Charltons were related to cricketer Colin Milburn. Was Jack Milburn part of the same family?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sniffer wrote:
NW, you may be able to answer this. I'm pretty sure the Charltons were related to cricketer Colin Milburn. Was Jack Milburn part of the same family?
Don’t think Colin Milburn was but Jackie Milburn was a cousin. There’s another Milburn who’s related but I can’t think who at the moment
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sniffer wrote:
Had a look on Wiki. He was born in a village in County Durham (everyone was probably related in some way :D ) but no mention is made of any football related relatives. If they exist, I'm sure they would have been mentioned.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

George & Jimmy Milburn were cousins both played for Leeds.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Had a look on Wiki. He was born in a village in County Durham (everyone was probably related in some way :D ) but no mention is made of any football related relatives. If they exist, I'm sure they would have been mentioned.
Yeah, just looked myself, John. I'm sure I remember reading in one of the sporting comics back in the 70's that they were related. I never saw Colin play but he was still, years after his career was cut short by the car accident, cited as some tragic figure. Which as a 7 or 8 year old left quite an impression on me.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

John (Jack) Milburn (Leeds) was cousin to Jackie Milburn (Newcastle) both were Uncles to the Charltons I believe.

Was a few brothers also but not sure where Colin fits in.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:George & Jimmy Milburn were cousins both played for Leeds.
Played against Jim Milburn when he was player/manager of East End Park WMC in the Yorkshire League (1957), The previous season he was playing for Leeds United. He played left full back and was as hard as nails. East End Park had several ex professionals in their team at that time, In that game, when I played for Yorkshire Amateur, we were both unbeaten after seven league games. There was a crowd of 3,000 at Skelton Road for the game. (0 - 0). I remember having a tough time at centre-half against Len Browning who had played centre-forward for Leeds United and Sheffield United.
Jim Milburn actually managed Yorkshire Amateur in the early 1960's but only for one season.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Nice to see Shearer giving Gary Speed his top spot on MOT the other night. Top 10 players never to play for the "big 6" He also had Batty in his top 5. I was surprised they left out Mark Viduka, specially with them all being strikers. Viduka would have been in my top 3 along with Speed and Batty. :)