Nostalgia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Nostalgia

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:December? :o
We did play them on Dec 6th 2008, lost 2-1, Enoch Showunmi scored :shock:
My mistake I have the 2007 ticket stub somewhere I’ll have a look later. Went both seasons but nothing will beat the atmosphere in that first game of the season.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:My first visit to Old Trafford was the 1969-70 season when we drew 2-2 Billy got one of the goals. We played them 5 times that season resulting in 4 draws & a Leeds win at Burnden Park ( another Billy goal being the one that took us to Wembley) I remember we played them in the first game of the 70-71 season, beating them 1-0.
Interesting trivia fact but the 3 times we've lost in the FA Cup final (65. 70 & 73) Billy got the winning goal in the Semi-Final :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
Interesting trivia fact but the 3 times we've lost in the FA Cup final (65. 70 & 73) Billy got the winning goal in the Semi-Final :crazy:
Billy always scored goals in important games, one that sticks in the memory was his goal at Hampden Park in 1970. He’s my all time Leeds hero, followed by Big Jack.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Put Rio Ferdinand and Alan Shearer together and you get John Charles. :D

That's how to do it abroad.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Put Rio Ferdinand and Alan Shearer together and you get John Charles. :D

That's how to do it abroad.
Put Rio Ferdinand and Alan Shearer together and you get about two thirds of John Charles.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

I'll stick to my original thought and throw Steven Gerrard in there aswell. Has anyone got a spare £300m? :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The year is 1987 & I’m living in Torquay with a wife & 2 children & I hadn’t had my Leeds fix for a couple of years but today they’re playing at Home Park the home of Plymouth Argyle. Catching the train to Newton Abbott & then a direct train to Plymouth myself & my mate Steve ( a Birmingham fan ) arrive with plenty of time to grab a few beers. Argyle hadn’t won a game for at least 10 games so I’m feeling pretty confident. There was a bit of trouble near the station but we managed to find a pub down a side street & stayed there till kick off. The away end was almost full & we managed to get near the front & were served with a awful performance losing 6-3 we made Argyle look like Barcelona. Their centre forward Tommy Tynan had an outstanding game that day.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

This will be a surprising one but back in 2012 Leeds went to Torquay to play a pre-season friendly a fixture I’d wanted to see for over 30 years. The harbour side was awash with flags showing support from all over the UK. One incident I remember clearly was an oldish chap on a disability scooter drove past a large group of our fans who were rammed onto a balcony of a Wetherspoons. The man was wearing a Scum top & as he passed below the chants of Scum, Scum, Scum went up at some volume. The mans response was to throw 2 fingers up at our fans. Incredibly he came round again & again raising 2 fingers & this time gallons of beer were launched at him, soaking him :D
Torquay United gave us 2 sides of the ground which were packed out. Loads of banter coming from the 2 stands could be heard. The locals just watched in amazement as noise levels just grew. The game finished with a 2-1 win to Leeds. With families most of whom didn’t attend the game there was an estimated following of around 4000+ that weekend. Buying the local paper the next day the headlines were that despite such numbers in the town there hadn’t been one single arrest.

Edit to say we visited a restaurant called Man Fridays where we had the most fantastic seafood meal we’d ever had. There was 6 of us all had something different but every meal was outstanding.
Deleted User 3289

Watched this the other day. For me its TV gold. You just wouldn't get this these days with rights and all that. Arranged by Don in response something Clough said. Great coup by Yorkshire tv. Even tho the interviewer tries to stir things a couple of times they both were quite respectful of each other despite the obvious tension. The gist for me Clough seemed relieved to out of his own created nightmare at Leeds and Don was having non of this, the players never tried malarkey.

Chalk and cheese characters. Clough obviously had no idea how don used to run the club and thought he could just waltz in and tear things up. Clough didn't even arrange a team introductory meeting when he first arrived. Don rightly couldn't believe that. Personally i like both men but for me the Don gets the tone right here. I think Clough was in slight awe of the Don imo. For those who haven't seen it give it a go you won't regret it.

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

That was Clough playing to the camera, trying to get the public's sympathy. He was a disgrace in those 44 days at Elland Road.

I actually liked him but he ruined Leeds United, the club never recovered from the upheaval caused by his appointment, and sacking.