Have You been ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Have You been ?

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Love these threads it takes me back to so many places.
Me too travel is a passion for me whether abroad or in the UK.

Will add the another 10 cities from the list every two or three days to keep the memories flooding back.

So come on folks tell us your thoughts and experiences of those listed whether its all of them or just one, it doesn't matter.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I’m not keen on Paris never felt safe there. Rome absolutely loved it as I was heavily into Roman history at school. The Colosseum was disappointing I can’t believe Charlton Heston took so long to do a circuit in his chariot. However Rome airport is the worst we’ve been to, absolutely hated. In the terminal where our flight was departing they’d had a fire a few weeks before & there was hardly anywhere to buy a coffee let alone a beer or wine. The staff were very rude as well.
I may be wrong but wasn't the race filmed at the Circus Maximus ?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Davycc wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:I’m not keen on Paris never felt safe there. Rome absolutely loved it as I was heavily into Roman history at school. The Colosseum was disappointing I can’t believe Charlton Heston took so long to do a circuit in his chariot. However Rome airport is the worst we’ve been to, absolutely hated. In the terminal where our flight was departing they’d had a fire a few weeks before & there was hardly anywhere to buy a coffee let alone a beer or wine. The staff were very rude as well.
I may be wrong but wasn't the race filmed at the Circus Maximus ?
Small details I’m pasta caring...
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Yeah, it was and that place is enormous.
The Colosseum was for fighting, not racing.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Due to Mrs B’s disabilities, we don’t go abroad now. In fact, the last time I was on a plane, other than taking flying lessons, was something like 11 years ago, we could probably manage it, but just too much hassle.

Anyway, digging into the archives, I’ve been to the top 3.

1. London - Mainly had weekends away there following Cas RL several years ago now. Went with the lads, we had a good time to be fair.

One night, me and a mate stumbled into this nightclub, which was absolutely heaving and everyone seemed very excited. It turned out the group D Ream were on (those of Things can only get better fame), we were right at the front, both completely ratted and Pete Cunnah was stroking my cheek which was all very bizarre.

2. New York - Went when I was very young, as my mum’s sister lived there and we stayed at their house. My uncle was chief engineer on Concorde and he took us to the hanger and we all climbed aboard Concorde.

We sat in the cockpit with the headphones on, it never moved, of course, but I thought it was the best thing ever at the time (I’ve got pictures at my dads somewhere).

3. Paris - Again, been a few times following Cas RL.

I’ll keep this one brief, but me and the lads took a stroll down Pigalle one night, blimey the sights we saw that night.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Come across a list of 100 best cities so thought I'd post them here 10 at time.
Not my list so no complaints when your top spot doesn't appear (we can add others later)

From the lists -
1.Which have you been to ?
2. How do you rate it ?
3.Any stories from your visit(s) ?

Should get some decent reading especially for those of us that love travel.

First 10 (not in rated order) -
1. London

As I'm sure you know by now I grew up in west London, left to go Leeds Uni, and then my first two jobs were back there. No question it's one of the world's great cities because of its history, architecture and culture. Equally undoubted is it's mighty expensive and I consider it dangerous from a terrorist and other perspectives.

I found myself back there working in 1998, travelling back to my home in Derby at the weekends. I ploughed a lonely furrow in the evening even though I was a regular at the excellent Queen Victoria near Lancaster Gate.

Of course it's well worth seeing Piccadilly Circus and the rest, but away from the centre there are places like Richmond and Camden Lock that are enjoyable and have character.

2. New York

Sorry to be blasé but I've been at least once - I remember the last time was in 2010 visiting my companies' HQ in New Jersey. It was March yet Central Park was covered in snow and people were ice-skating; I have some great pics.

Probably unfair to judge on such a short visit but I don't see the attraction and wouldn't rush back.

3. Paris

Had a four week assignment there in 1984 and got to know it quite well; been several other times, but, I think, always on business. The architecture along the Seine is truly magnificent and the Champs d'Elysees puts tawdry Oxford Street to shame with its broad avenue and elegant trees. Some of the districts away from the centre have their charm especially Montmatre and slightly sleazy Pigalle.

The centre is quite compact and it's an easy walk to see eg the Louvre and Arc de Triomphe. Find yourself a back street bistro and spoil yourself with a confit du canard - it won't break the bank.

There was a time when the Parisians deserved their reputation for gruffness, especially if you didn''t speak French. But on my last visit in 2015 I was struck by their graciousness.

Another world city worth seeing if you haven't been.

4. Rome

Been a few times and, yes, the Antiquities are very special. The Metro is reasonably priced and good for getting around, as the city sprawls - although most of the sights are in the centre.

Can't say the locals are particularly forthcoming, OK they're not frosty like northern Italians but they certainly don't have the joy and vivacity of their fellow countrymen further south.

5. Istanbul

The first time I went was 1986 and was blown away with the bustle of the place and outstanding buildings, it really is SO different. The grand bazaar has been there since the mid-15th century and is a real assault on the senses, especially the aromas of spices. I personally find Turkish people friendly and generous, although the language barrier can be a hindrance.

Another one of the world's great cities.

6. Berlin

Went very briefly in the early 1990's on business and hardly remember anything of the trip. I'm a big fan of Germany and the Germans having lived there so would like to go to Berlin and see it as a tourist.

7. Moscow

Was scheduled to go in 2015 when I was working for a Russian company headquartered there. It was the time Russia invaded the Crimea and, as the UK opposed that action, probably best I didn't.

8. Rio de Janeiro

Well if we're spending time/money to go to that continent you'll know where we'll end up....

Not bothered about visiting Brazil, I'd rather go to Argentina or Chile.

9. Beijing

Was fortunate enough to stay with a family whom we were previously neighbours when they were there as ex-pats. It was 1997 I think.

An unforgettable trip taking in the Forbidden City and the Great Wall - our friends organized us a private mini-bus to go to the latter. We were at their house for two weeks altogether.

It's the only place I've ever been where I've felt totally isolated by the language. English speakers are practically non-existent, although our friends' son could speak fluent Mandarin.

10. Singapore

Agree with Rigger this would be further down the bucket list than Japan
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Next 10 Cities added and only 3 I've been lucky enough to visit (Madrid, Edinburgh & Shanghai) but all the others are on the bucket list.

No not been to Prague yet have been to the Czech republic (day trip from Austria :D ).

Madrid - Highlight was getting a ticket for the local derby (Athletic v Real), what a atmosphere that was.

Edinburgh - Cracking city we usually add a couple of nights every time we go to Scotland.

Shanghai - Very modern and amazing seeing all the massive buildings along the river especially at night when lit up.
Hotel was great but toilet was scary never seen so many buttons that squirted water every which way it can, the heated seat was lovely :D
Oh and a great big glass window between bathroom & bedroom was weird, but at least I could wave to Mrs SW as I sat on the throne ;) :shock:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

13. Madrid
Amazing city loved it we were there 3 nights the highlight was a visit to the Bernabeu Stadium which we did the tour. Ended up in the RealCafe which gave spectacular views over the ground. The city is very modern but also steeped in history.
14. Athens
Spent a day here as it was part of the itinerary of the cruise we were on I remember it was incredibly hot when we were there. Loved seeing the Acropolis & Parthenon close up, something I’d wanted to see since I was child.
16. Edinburgh
To be honest it’s years since I visited if we visit Scotland I much prefer to go the Highlands, one of my favourite places anywhere.
20. St Petersburg
An amazing city have visited twice it’s a fantastic city. Was disappointed with the Hermitage because it was so busy & really hot. The churches are amazing the best was the Savior on the Spilled Blood. A good place to visit is St Katherines Palace, unbelievably the money that was spent on it during its heyday.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:Yeah, it was and that place is enormous.
The Colosseum was for fighting, not racing.
I remember flying into Rome and we flew over the Colosseum at quite a low height. Magnificent view it was. 1955. (Not long after it closed. :lol: )
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote: 16. Edinburgh
To be honest it’s years since I visited if we visit Scotland I much prefer to go the Highlands, one of my favourite places anywhere.
We tend to do Edinburgh as a stopover on the way further north, another worth a stop is Stirling.
Have you been over or seen the new Forth road bridge its a beautiful piece of engineering ?