Worth watching on telly

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Worth watching on telly

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Rather than specific programs, I thought I'd suggest two excellent channels on Freeview.

Free Sports
Brilliant, non-stop service which is about 40% football. If you like European games it's well worth noting what days and times they cover the Portuguese, Polish, Danish, German and other leagues. I've seen Benfica be absolutely awful twice in the last three or four days given how much richer they are than the rest of the Liga Nos clubs. They were up against Rio Aves in the first game and went 0-1 down in the first half. They threw everything at them and Aves had a man sent off. Then another. Then another. Then Benfica equalised and finally got a really late, really jammy winner. It was almost as if the ref was favouring the big club :problem:

The Smithsonian Channel
Fantastic documentary channel covering a range of historical topics from across the globe, not just the US. I am constantly impressed by the depth and quality of the programs they air. Well worth a look.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Just finished watching all 3 seasons of Fargo on Netflix. If you’ve seen the original film by the Coen Brothers then it’s well worth a watch.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Deleted User 728

cheffy007 wrote:Just finished watching all 3 seasons of Fargo on Netflix. If you’ve seen the original film by the Coen Brothers then it’s well worth a watch.
Saw - and loved - the first series but haven't got round to the others yet. Thanks for the reminder.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Rather than specific programs, I thought I'd suggest two excellent channels on Freeview.

Free Sports
Brilliant, non-stop service which is about 40% football. If you like European games it's well worth noting what days and times they cover the Portuguese, Polish, Danish, German and other leagues. I've seen Benfica be absolutely awful twice in the last three or four days given how much richer they are than the rest of the Liga Nos clubs. They were up against Rio Aves in the first game and went 0-1 down in the first half. They threw everything at them and Aves had a man sent off. Then another. Then another. Then Benfica equalised and finally got a really late, really jammy winner. It was almost as if the ref was favouring the big club :problem:

The Smithsonian Channel
Fantastic documentary channel covering a range of historical topics from across the globe, not just the US. I am constantly impressed by the depth and quality of the programs they air. Well worth a look.
Can't seem to get Free Sports on freeview up here, do get the Smithsonian though.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

I can't get it on an aerial, but if I use a box like NowTV or Firestick (which is always plugged in) then it comes through fine for some reason.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:I can't get it on an aerial, but if I use a box like NowTV or Firestick (which is always plugged in) then it comes through fine for some reason.
That explains it :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We’re watching Tom Hanks in The Post tonight. Must admit I know nothing about it but love Hanks.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

NottinghamWhite wrote:We’re watching Tom Hanks in The Post tonight. Must admit I know nothing about it but love Hanks.
That's the movie when he plays the newspaper editor opposite Meryl Streep, right ??
Very, very good - I really enjoyed it and learned a lot about recent American history.

I'm finally watching Chernobyl right now.
Loved Jared Harris in Mad Men so I'm really pleased he's got another meaty role in this.
Brilliant so far - episode two, as the horrors or the explosion are gradually dawning on everyone.

As for the Freesports channel mentioned above : it's gone off-air altogether in terms of TV. I can get it on my mobile through the app and then "cast it" to my TV so if you have a smart phone and television you could try that, anyone who wants to watch it.
To be honest, now football is back generally and the season is mostly over it's not that essential.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:We’re watching Tom Hanks in The Post tonight. Must admit I know nothing about it but love Hanks.
That's the movie when he plays the newspaper editor opposite Meryl Streep, right ??
Very, very good - I really enjoyed it and learned a lot about recent American history.

I'm finally watching Chernobyl right now.
Loved Jared Harris in Mad Men so I'm really pleased he's got another meaty role in this.
Brilliant so far - episode two, as the horrors or the explosion are gradually dawning on everyone.

As for the Freesports channel mentioned above : it's gone off-air altogether in terms of TV. I can get it on my mobile through the app and then "cast it" to my TV so if you have a smart phone and television you could try that, anyone who wants to watch it.
To be honest, now football is back generally and the season is mostly over it's not that essential.
Funny that, loved Chernobyl but hated Madmen
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

rigger wrote:

I did a poll awhile back on Hank’s movies & left in off the list & that’s the first time I’d heard of it. Taped it t’other night ( do you still tape programmes :roll: ) as I say looking forward to it. Like Meryl Streep as well. :D
Winner of the Europa League