R.I.P. Big Jack

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: R.I.P. Big Jack

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

A friend of mine from Newcastle (big Toon fan - and I mean that literally as he's 6'7") posted a photo of him and his daughter meeting Big Jack about ten years ago.
It's a lovely shot, I think :

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Jack's is a brilliant life story, truly inspirational, I'd always recommend his autobiogs and any biogs on him. One of my earliest LU memories involved him when he was a player, he'd formed his own 'souvenir shop' and it was right outside the stadium as the club didn't have one at the time. He used to man it himself and my dear old Dad took me down to meet him one day... now I could be wrong but I do believe it was on a Saturday morning and Jack would have been due to play later that afternoon :D

Anyway, a genuine rags to riches story is Jack's, and another upsetting loss to the Leeds family.
CorkWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CorkWhite »

Rest in peace Jackie. A true legend of not only Leeds United but also to the Republic of Ireland. Stuttgart will long stay in the memories from Euro 88 beating the Auld enemy and then in 1994 beating an all star Italian side at the world cup in New York. As a Leeds fan and an Irish man I got the best of both worlds having Big Jack as a hero of mine. One of my favorite players as well as one of my favorite managers.

Today you will be joining the Heavenly all star Leeds United team and you will have some other Legends that have recently joined them. "Give it a lash Jack" and make sure to have that black book ready for those Red Devils who I'm sure you'll be coming up against every so often on the playing fields of purgatory.

Thank you Jack for your life and some fantastic memories. Rest in peace.

MOT
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Some rare nice words from Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday just now.

“I always struggle to say Jack Charlton, because I feel like I should be saying Sir Jack Charlton”
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

R.I.P. Jack thanks for the memories.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

R.I.P. Jack.

You gave us a lot of memories on and off the pitch.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

My first Leeds match was Jack's testimonial against Celtic. The atmosphere was magical - Leeds/Celtic fans swapping scarves and chanting for each other's teams.

Jack was a regular around Cookridge where I grew up - his daughter lived there. He always said hello and opened Cookridge Hall Golf Club. Lovely man, great player and a true gent.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Anybody remember the old Carlsberg vid with JC and others (Waddle, Beardsley, Pearce and co) going to play a Sunday game?
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

RIP big Jack, I just about caught the last part of your playing career.

I went to his testimonial concert, a brass band concert in Leeds town hall when I was at Uni. Were any of you there as well?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....