2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by HalifaxWhite »

corkleedsmot wrote:If West Brom or Brentford don't go up we should go for Pereira or Benrahma. they can both play front 3 and would fit in perfectly.
I am not that bothered about Ben White, the Argentine we are interested in looks a decent player and with a month or 2 with Bielsa there could be alot of Ben Whites or Kalvin Philips around the place imo.
I rate them both but 30 million is too much for White when we have a coach like Bielsa ?
What?! Never read something on here is so strongly disagree with. Bielsa is great yes and he coaches players to make them better. What he cannot coacch is the mental ability of white to be so calm and confident on the ball, that is what makes him so good. Bielsa teaches when to and where to pass or intercept etc but to remain calm and have the ability to implement that in the heat of a game when under pressure or even when cruising and keeping your concentration, that can't be coached. That is the real natural talent you just don't find in many CB.

In fact you mentioned KP, he is the perfect example. Much better player under MB no doubt, but guess what. Still prone to the same mistakes he always was, rash tackles, a bit of a flap every now and again. You can't coach all of that out of a player just like you can't coach the calmness of thought into a player.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:If West Brom or Brentford don't go up we should go for Pereira or Benrahma. they can both play front 3 and would fit in perfectly.
I am not that bothered about Ben White, the Argentine we are interested in looks a decent player and with a month or 2 with Bielsa there could be alot of Ben Whites or Kalvin Philips around the place imo.
I rate them both but 30 million is too much for White when we have a coach like Bielsa ?
What?! Never read something on here is so strongly disagree with. Bielsa is great yes and he coaches players to make them better. What he cannot coacch is the mental ability of white to be so calm and confident on the ball, that is what makes him so good. Bielsa teaches when to and where to pass or intercept etc but to remain calm and have the ability to implement that in the heat of a game when under pressure or even when cruising and keeping your concentration, that can't be coached. That is the real natural talent you just don't find in many CB.

In fact you mentioned KP, he is the perfect example. Much better player under MB no doubt, but guess what. Still prone to the same mistakes he always was, rash tackles, a bit of a flap every now and again. You can't coach all of that out of a player just like you can't coach the calmness of thought into a player.
Agree. Composure is the big difference between Ben White and Pontus Jansson. Not only individually, Ben White's calmness has an effect on the rest of the team.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Quarta looks like a great player too. good on the ball and loves defending. I think 30 million for White is a lot of outlay. I would love him to be here next year but if he signs for Pool for 30-40 million.. I wont be all that bothered. I think Bielsa can find a player half that price who is composed. I played centre half myself I know White is good but the overpaying for English youngsters is not something I want Leeds to get into. Eg Maguire to united for silly money. I wouldn't underestimate how much Bielsa system is making a lot of these players look a level better than they are either. White has been playing in the championship too, the difference between championship and PL is immense. I would love to see Leeds go for Nate Collins at Stoke as back up. cheap young and exactly what we need.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

HalifaxWhite wrote:

I think that calmness and confidence is something that can be coached - maybe not by MB but someone with the right skill set can do that.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

HalifaxWhite wrote:

Agreed, partly, but calmness and composure also comes from confidence, in knowing that your coaching is good, and that those around you are also up to the job.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

I just think there are tougher areas to fill. I really think if we don't spend on goals we are going to find the PL really hard. We won't dominate as many games and in those scenarios we need to be clinical. We know Paddy is not that.
There is a big trend on ball playing defenders and there are a lot of them about now. After watching Bielsa transform the team in summer months I am just not that panicked about them finding a peach of a player he can mold at centre half for the system. Molding Bamford to be a premier league striker is a much tougher task (near impossible). There are far fewer classy strikers about. If the budget is limited I would spend it on that. Just a preference and not really meaning to talk down White or anything like that. I think we would be overpaying for White with the interest in him. I guess I am also trying to remain positive as I don't think white will be here next year and I feel this is the way it will play out anyway.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

corkleedsmot wrote:I just think there are tougher areas to fill. I really think if we don't spend on goals we are going to find the PL really hard. We won't dominate as many games and in those scenarios we need to be clinical. We know Paddy is not that.
There is a big trend on ball playing defenders and there are a lot of them about now. After watching Bielsa transform the team in summer months I am just not that panicked about them finding a peach of a player he can mold at centre half for the system. Molding Bamford to be a premier league striker is a much tougher task (near impossible). There are far fewer classy strikers about. If the budget is limited I would spend it on that. Just a preference and not really meaning to talk down White or anything like that. I think we would be overpaying for White with the interest in him. I guess I am also trying to remain positive as I don't think white will be here next year and I feel this is the way it will play out anyway.
Who are these Prem quality strikers that would be available to a limited budget?

Most expensive position in football to buy real quality..

Anyway want to see us up first before I worry about our needs.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

There are strikers out there for the 30 million being talked about. When you add the fact that White is a young Englishman it adds a premium to the transfer and wages over the quotas in place.
I think I would take Edouard from Celtic for 30 over White for 30. And because Striker is the most expensive position and our weakest I feel we need the money for a striker. Anyway just an opinion.
If we figure out a way to do both I will be as delighted as anyone.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

corkleedsmot wrote:I just think there are tougher areas to fill. I really think if we don't spend on goals we are going to find the PL really hard. We won't dominate as many games and in those scenarios we need to be clinical. We know Paddy is not that.
Whilst my heart would love for Ben White to be signed permanently, my head tells me we would better of loaning in Juan Foyth or Rob Holding. A goal scorer definitely needs to be the priority, as it is probably our solitary weakness. Mainz's Robin Quaison has a year left on his contract, he would be my choice.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

corkleedsmot wrote:There are strikers out there for the 30 million being talked about. When you add the fact that White is a young Englishman it adds a premium to the transfer and wages over the quotas in place.
I think I would take Edouard from Celtic for 30 over White for 30. And because Striker is the most expensive position and our weakest I feel we need the money for a striker. Anyway just an opinion.
If we figure out a way to do both I will be as delighted as anyone.
You would rather pay the same amount for a striker playing in Scotland than a CB who has proven he is what we need and is very young?! Edouard plays in the easiest league for the best team and hardly boasts outstanding stats, I absolutely would not want us paying anywhere near that price for a striker from a poor league.

I get what you're saying on White but totally disagree on Edouard. I think as I did say in my original post we do need a striker, absolutely but if we lose white all we have is Cooper so we need White+another.