Worth watching on telly

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Worth watching on telly

Post by Davycc »

Started watching The Umbrella Academy on Netflix. After the first 15-20 minutes was going to turn off, a bit weird and not usually my thing but am enjoying it. What is really good is the soundtrack some great music.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Watched Victory over Japan Day last night and found it very moving. Particularly like Sir Bryn Terkel, Sir Willard White and Nicola Roberts.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Just got round to watching Anthony, a true life story about the racist murder of an 18 year old.

The programme is filmed backwards, starting at 25 years and working backwards to the murder, basically showing what Anthony’s life could have been had his life not been cut short. Obviously, it’s guesswork to a large degree, he may not have met so and so, gone on to have children etc, but blimey it doesn’t half make you think when you consider all the murders of young people going on. A tragic story brilliantly told.

It was only when I read up on the story afterwards, I read one of those charged and serving life for Anthony’s murder is Joey Barton’s brother.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Watched a brilliant documentary last on Jimmy ( Jinky ) Johnson really was a good watch if you can get it on catchup then seriously it’s well worth a watch.

#LionsOfLisbon
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Watched the new All Creatures Great And Small last night. Wonderful scenery and a nice storyline but why on earth is there a woman who’s doing the narrative ? Really spoilt it for us just no need.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It's to make it more inclusive.
Yes, it's not true to the original author but back then a woman wouldn't have been either a vet or a published writer. Or maybe they would but one in a million.

This way, it opens up the stories and the idea of animal care as a career to females who may not have considered it before because most vets depicted on TV or in movies are men.

Inclusivity is a good thing, even if it feels like it's on overload right now. People feeling uncomfortable with that is NOT the problem.

This isn't aimed aggressively at anyone in here : I'm just trying to explain the point of woke culture.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

What irks me more is the need to remake the series anyway - the original was brilliant. Why not give the commission to a new idea from a new writer?
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

One of our film channels,'Turner Classic Movies', is running a series of rock music films.
Two nights ago a concert titled the 'T.A.M.I. show' from 1964. The concert hosted by Jan and Dean featured various artists. Filmed in a theatre, non stop music if a little bit disorganized production.Surprising highlight for me was a great raw set by would you believe 'Gerry and the Pacemakers.'
Last night was 'The Kids are alright' by the Who. Great concert footage but too many stupid interviews.
Tonight I don't know if I can stay awake till that late but the evening starts off with, not one of my favourite bands, Zepplin,'Song Remains the Same'. next 'Jimi plays Monterey', Monterey was the venue of one of the great rock concerts of that era 60/early 70's. Finally what I am waiting for, 'Otis at Monterey'. I've seen these several times over the years but it's always good to be re-united with with music which helped shape your generation.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Been enjoying some oldies on catch up the last few months...
The Good Life
Men Behaving Badly
Outnumbered

And for a fun look at human behaviour...
Dress to Impress.

Enjoying the return of Strike.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Watched the new All Creatures Great And Small last night. Wonderful scenery and a nice storyline but why on earth is there a woman who’s doing the narrative ? Really spoilt it for us just no need.
This sounds like you are describing the 'audio description' which is for those that struggle with their sight.
You can usually switch this off on your programme information button..
On Virgin anyway.