Peter Hampton

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Peter Hampton

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Peter passed away today aged 66 on a family holiday in Cyprus. Played for us between 1972-80.

R.I.P.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Peter Hampton

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Gosh that’s a real shock.

R.I.P.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

OMG! Rest in peace PH. One of the players that followed on after the legendary Revie squad. Hard act to follow but always struck as a guy who gave of his honest best and he wore the shirt. And as can be seen from this post still remembered. Gone so young
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I honestly can't remember him. Did he play much or was he more of a squad player ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:I honestly can't remember him. Did he play much or was he more of a squad player ?
Played quite a bit (60/70 matches) in the late 70's in the Jimmy Armfield period, saw him lots of times as was a regular home and away in those days.
Was a unused sub at the European Cup Final in 1975.

Decent player & bloke (met him twice).

RIP Peter
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

RIP, thoughts with the family and friends.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

RIP Peter

Very sad and way too young.

Solid left back, scored 3 times for us, 2 against Norwich. We always won when we scored!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

RIP Peter Hampton

A good player who we let go too early, in my opinion. Hampton was one of those who came through in the post-Revie era who - like most of his peers - just wasn't quite as good as their predecessors (although he made his debut under Don Revie).

But I still think Leeds would have better still having the likes of Hampton, McNiven and, of course, Yorath around than a lot of the squad that took us down in '82.

My main memory of Peter Hampton is that he played in that ill-fated FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United in 1977 - a match which I've always though was a real turning point for Leeds and effectively signaled the end of the road for Revie's boys.

Much more so than either Don Revie leaving the club or the 1975 European Cup Final as most people assume.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Westminster wrote:RIP Peter Hampton

A good player who we let go too early, in my opinion. Hampton was one of those who came through in the post-Revie era who - like most of his peers - just wasn't quite as good as their predecessors (although he made his debut under Don Revie).

But I still think Leeds would have better still having the likes of Hampton, McNiven and, of course, Yorath around than a lot of the squad that took us down in '82.

My main memory of Peter Hampton is that he played in that ill-fated FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United in 1977 - a match which I've always though was a real turning point for Leeds and effectively signaled the end of the road for Revie's boys.

Much more so than either Don Revie leaving the club or the 1975 European Cup Final as most people assume.
Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Winner of the Europa League