Alphabet Travel

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Alphabet Travel

Post by Selby White »

Another question for those of us who like to travel.

Pick One place on earth for each letter of the alphabet you would like to visit or go back to ?
Can be a City/Town, area, country, etc.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Alphabet Travel

Post by Selby White »

Will start mine but add later :-

A- Argentina - Have been to Buenos Aires but would love to tour the whole country including a pilgrimage to a certain football stadium in Rosario.

B- Budapest - Been twice and would go back in a flash, my fav European city (tough call on Berlin & Barcelona)

C- Chicago - Fav US City been numerous times and would still go back

D-

E- Elland Road - Simple

F-

G-

H- Havana - Just for the memory, Mrs SW & myself met here so will always be special, cracking place as well.

I- Iguaza Falls - See answer "A" would also be part of my Argentina Tour, been on the wish list some time.

J- Jersey - Never been to the Channel Isles and everyone tells me how nice it is so about time I found out.

K - Kruger National Park - Another on the wish list.

L- La Paz - On my South American wish list

M- Machu picchu - Mrs SW beats me as she as been but says would be more than happy to go back.

N- New Zealand - Was at the planning stage prior to Covid

O-

P- Porto - Have been to Lisbon, the Algarve & Madeira and like Portugal so the northern part around Porto is on my to do list.

Q- Quebec - did a day trip when in Montreal but would visit again for a few days.

R- Romania - Find Eastern European countries fascinating and this one is on my list.

S-

T-

U-

V- Victoria Falls - Yes I like water falls

W-

X- Xian - Well it was my fav Chinese City but to be honest its the only place I can think of starting with X.

Y- Yosemite - Not been yet but would like to get there at some stage.

Z- Zion National Park - Actually visited once some time ago but was on our planned USA road trip that was cancelled in May, planned to do a couple of Hikes there.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Australia - We’ve only visited the Cairns region going as far as the Atherton Table Mountains. Places I’d love to visit are Sydney & Melbourne ( more the MCG if I’m honest ) We said when we out there that if we had been younger we would have returned to live there.

Anchorage - Would love to see this Alaska & see the incredible tundra regions. Polar Bear is high on my wanted list. Don’t fancy the Rocky Mountaineer but a private visit using a guide.

Brazil - Toured a lot of Brazil including Sao Paolo, Rio, Belle Horizonte, Ubatuba ( loved our time here ) but the place which we enjoyed the most was The Pantal, Brazil equivalent of the Serengeti. We saw giant otters, hyacinth macaws, Giant anteater, tapir & Tufted capuchins. We stayed on a working ranch where we spent a hour most days watching the Gouchos going about their daily work.

Berlin - A European city on the list that will be visited as & when.

Canada - Loved our time here but it was mainly city based I’d like to see more of the country. Our highlight was a visit to Niagara Falls.

Chile - Only having seen this country from the sea I’d love to see more in particular Santiago.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Aldershot, Blackpool and Crewe (though I was only on the train stopping at Crewe)
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:Aldershot, Blackpool and Crewe (though I was only on the train stopping at Crewe)
:roll:
It's spotting not stopping
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Chile - Only having seen this country from the sea I’d love to see more in particular Santiago.
Got me looking up my photos of Santiago and of course a few memories. Definately one worth a visit.

We used it as a base so had 8 nights there, plenty to see and do. A few trips out, to the coast, up in the Andes and of course a winery :D

Got a bit Chilly up in the Andes (pardon the pun :D )

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Danube Delta - A truly unspoilt area of natural beauty. The only problem was you couldn’t sit out on deck at night due to mosquitoes. We arrived at several villages on the Russian border which didn’t have names but numbers. We started from a rough old town, Tulcea where we encountered eel fisherman who were very intimidating. During our overnight stay as I was sat at the bar In our hotel I was approached by 2 young ladies of the night who’s pimp sat in a corner cleaning his nails with a Bowie knife. This was over 20 years ago I now note it’s a very trendy place full of boutique hotels.

Dallas - Always fancied spending some time in Texas. The TV programme drew me to this particular city.

Ethiopia - One of the most stunning countries we have visited especially the Rift Valley. We visited Bethlehem on Christmas Day & spent the night in tents at Awash waterfalls.

Edinburgh - Seriously have only spent an hour there & it’s high on my bucket list to visit.

Falmouth - One of our favourite destinations a place we’ve spent a lot of time. We had a favourite restaurant there, The Pipes which served simple but delicious sea food.

Freetown - We we’re due to do some charity work here about 10 years or so ago but it all fell through. Luckily for us it was when Ebola broke out.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Mick 4 of the places you haven’t visited.

Jersey - Worked on Alderney back in the 1970’s so visited on numerous occasions as several island residents had Cessnas & would fly over to do shopping so often “hitched “ a lift. It’s a beautiful island & if your into WW2 history there’s still plenty of reminders of the German occupation there. It used to be a tax haven so the cost of living was unbelievably cheap.

Kruger - Done a couple of other game parks namely Bonamanzi & Masai Mara in Africa but whilst staying in Maputo we had a very early start & visited Kruger for the day. We managed to see the Big 5 in literary a few hours. We ended up in a lovely restaurant where cold wine, steak & fries were the perfect end to the day. The border crossing however was fine exiting Ethiopia but coming back we were kept waiting at the border crossing for almost 3 hours for no reason other than they could. It meant a very long day but one I’ll never forget.

Machu Picchu - Never visited but loved Peru. We spent almost 4 weeks there the highlight was spending a week in the Peruvian Rain Forest. We had to travel along the Manu Road which has been featured on these dangerous road programmes luckily we had an incredible driver, Uba. We arrived at a gold mining town where we quickly had to get our gear onto a motorised canoe & then 4 hours down the Madre de Dios River ( Mother of God ) to our camp. Humidity was unbelievable & shirts were constantly soaked. We stocked up with both wine & beer so on an evening we had a few drinks & played cribbage. We toured Peru but never in any tourist areas it’s a stunning country with beautiful people.

Yosemite- The giant redwoods are fantastic & a must see. We traveled around on a small train with excellent radio coverage from a local guide pointing out things we would otherwise have missed.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Selby White wrote:Will start mine but add later :-
Z- Zion National Park - Actually visited once some time ago but was on our planned USA road trip that was cancelled in May, planned to do a couple of Hikes there.
Favourites/wishlist for me:

H = Hokkaido - Japan's northernmost island - snowcapped volcanoes, amazing food, great beer and indigenous culture that feels so far from Japanese cities.

K = For anyone who hasn't been, I'd recommend making Kyrgyzstan your 'K'. The whole country is huge mountains or steppe, and culturally/architecturally it's part communist Soviet and part nomadic herders/yurts/yaks.

S = Sutherland (Scotland) and/or Sutherland (South Africa). Two of my favourite wildernesses. Scottish Sutherland has some of the best beaches in the whole UK (they're a bit chilly...), and South African Sutherland has the best night sky I've ever seen. Feels like the milky way is pressing down on you it's so bright and colourful.

Y = Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. Jungle and temples and collapsed cave systems with crystal clear swimming holes that feel bottomless.

Z = A quick endorsement for Zion National Park. Of all the US NPs, this is the one that's blown me away the most. Truly amazing landscape, and some amazing hiking. Angel's Landing isn't technically, hard but has some pretty terrifying drops that are worth Googling. If you're in the area, Grand-Staircase-Escalante National Monument is a giant wilderness area nearby that's also stunning.

Also endorsements for Ethiopia, Kenya, Cape Town, Isle of Mull, and Namibia (which is weirdly German, and incredible landscape).

On the to-do list (when we can travel again):

N = New Zealand. Never been, and the landscape sounds incredible.

S = Siberia. Would love to go on the Trans-Siberian Express, although people say you really have to like looking at Birch trees and spending time quietly doing nothing. Ideally, I'd love to make it all the way to the Kamchatka peninsula to see more icy volcanoes and bears.

[
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Mick 4 of the places you haven’t visited.

Yosemite- The giant redwoods are fantastic & a must see. We traveled around on a small train with excellent radio coverage from a local guide pointing out things we would otherwise have missed.
2018 travelled from San Fran to Seattle up through the redwoods, as you say amazing site. One they had cut a tunnel through and you could drive a car through it, the tree was still growing.
Was just to the West of Yosemite and don't think we actually entered the NP at and stage so still to do.

Across other side of the Rockies have toured Yellowstone, fantastic and well worth a visit for nature lovers but watch out for brown bears :shock: .