2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
bedfordwhites
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by bedfordwhites »

Wheres Ben White when we need him. MOT.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

Originally I wanted to post something about that buying Raphinha instead of a midfielder was a mistake, because Phillips and Klich are practically indispensable.
Now with the injury of Phillips our squad looks very thin.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:We have options, Struijk or Dallas perhaps? Can Llorente play CDM? I know he's currently injured but I think he'll return in a couple of weeks
Phil Hay suggesting Klich will drop back to DM.

The only slight consolation with this news, and it is slight, is that it’s come early in the week so at least Bielsa can work on a solution ahead of Friday.
Just to add one according to wiki (I know it's wiki) CDM is listed as one of Robin Koch positions so assume he has played there.
If I was a betting man would guess it will be Struijk though.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:We have options, Struijk or Dallas perhaps? Can Llorente play CDM? I know he's currently injured but I think he'll return in a couple of weeks
Phil Hay suggesting Klich will drop back to DM.

The only slight consolation with this news, and it is slight, is that it’s come early in the week so at least Bielsa can work on a solution ahead of Friday.
Just to add one according to wiki (I know it's wiki) CDM is listed as one of Robin Koch positions so assume he has played there.
If I was a betting man would guess it will be Struijk though.
Yes, I think Struijk at CDM on Friday. He and Cooper are left-footed, Koch and Llorente are right-footed so, assuming that Cooper and Koch are first choice in their respective CB positions, they are the back ups for KP and each CB position. Probably.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Assuming one of Struijk (as he came off v Wolves) and Cooper are fit, I'd actually like to see Leif Davis come in for Phillips, with a defensive reshuffle, so that the defence is Dallas, Ayling, Struijk/Cooper, Davis, with Koch in front of them. Knowing Bielsa though, he'll probably bring Hernandez in instead though.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

SiMamu wrote:Assuming one of Struijk (as he came off v Wolves) and Cooper are fit, I'd actually like to see Leif Davis come in for Phillips, with a defensive reshuffle, so that the defence is Dallas, Ayling, Struijk/Cooper, Davis, with Koch in front of them. Knowing Bielsa though, he'll probably bring Hernandez in instead though.
There's a good chance that both Struijk and Cooper will be out for Villa.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Am I the only one thinking that although this is bad, it's not catastrophic? I know the DCM pivot is fundamental to Bielsa's system, giving the diagonal out-ball over the attacking lines, but Kalvin hasn't been doing this particularly effectively so far this season and has often looked either mentally or physically jaded. I'd prefer it was a 2-week knock obviously, and also that we'd actually signed a CM in the window, but perhaps this isn't as awful as many seem to suggest.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote:Am I the only one thinking that although this is bad, it's not catastrophic? I know the DCM pivot is fundamental to Bielsa's system, giving the diagonal out-ball over the attacking lines, but Kalvin hasn't been doing this particularly effectively so far this season and has often looked either mentally or physically jaded. I'd prefer it was a 2-week knock obviously, and also that we'd actually signed a CM in the window, but perhaps this isn't as awful as many seem to suggest.
No you are not the only one.

Injuries/suspensions happen and I tend to think of them as an opportunity for someone else to shine.
Natural squad rotation :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote: Natural squad rotation
The only type we get under Bielsa.

I love the man - truly, I adore him both as a coach and a humanist, but if he could just rotate one or two slots each game I'm sure we'd have fewer injuries and a more experienced crop of youngsters. I mean, what has Shack got to do to get a game ? :eh:
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

Leonickroberts wrote:Am I the only one thinking that although this is bad, it's not catastrophic? I know the DCM pivot is fundamental to Bielsa's system, giving the diagonal out-ball over the attacking lines, but Kalvin hasn't been doing this particularly effectively so far this season and has often looked either mentally or physically jaded. I'd prefer it was a 2-week knock obviously, and also that we'd actually signed a CM in the window, but perhaps this isn't as awful as many seem to suggest.
Nope, I don't think this is catastrophic. I think it's unfortunate that we have potentially three of our four central defenders out but we also have Hernandez returning to full fitness and think that there is a possibility that he will replace Phillips in our rotating midfield. Phillips has looked isolated sometimes but that's because our midfield players get the other side of the oppositions midfield and they have no choice but to drop and defend deeper leaving what seems huge spaces in the middle of the pitch. We are open to the counter attack using this method and rely on the fitness of our midfield to get back and defend as seen on Monday night. So back to my point, Phillips isn't going to be able to defend that area on his own anyway, he's there to pick the ball up from defence and distribute and in the last few games I don't think he's been doing that quite as well as he can, therefore, I see no reason why Hernandez, Klich and Rodrigo can't play in that same central midfield. Or we could sacrifice one winger play Alioski at left back and add Dallas to the midfield. Either way I'm confident that MC will have this sorted.