PPV

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Re: PPV

Post by Otherworld »

I was going to PPV the Villa game, but decided that it was wrong as I already pay plenty to Sky and BT so I can watch Leeds matches. I watched a dodgy stream on my iPad, with Polish commentary, but still enjoyed it. Then I donated the £14.95 that I would’ve paid to the LUST food bank campaign. The total is now close to £88,000. I will be doing this for each of our PPV games until Sky, BT and the EPL drop this stupid idea.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Otherworld wrote:I was going to PPV the Villa game, but decided that it was wrong as I already pay plenty to Sky and BT so I can watch Leeds matches. I watched a dodgy stream on my iPad, with Polish commentary, but still enjoyed it. Then I donated the £14.95 that I would’ve paid to the LUST food bank campaign. The total is now close to £88,000. I will be doing this for each of our PPV games until Sky, BT and the EPL drop this stupid idea.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Otherworld wrote:I was going to PPV the Villa game, but decided that it was wrong as I already pay plenty to Sky and BT so I can watch Leeds matches. I watched a dodgy stream on my iPad, with Polish commentary, but still enjoyed it. Then I donated the £14.95 that I would’ve paid to the LUST food bank campaign. The total is now close to £88,000. I will be doing this for each of our PPV games until Sky, BT and the EPL drop this stupid idea.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I absolutely applaud what you are doing and standing by your principles.

What I don't completely understand is why you are watching dodgy streams on your iPad with foreign commentary (if you reside in UK) when there are other options available to stream matches
Keep The Faith / WAL
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I am in the USA.
I see most premiership games on my cable sports package, but recently they have started charging for some individual games, the Villa game was the first involving Leeds this season. I didn't subscribe, I picked up live audio on bbc 5 live, which is usually blocked here for pay per view sporting events in UK.
It's been a long time since I listened to a live game on radio and I really enjoyed it. It took me back many years to when my father and myself used to listen to football and boxing on radio.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

rigger wrote:It's overpriced, simple as. If it was a fiver I doubt many would moan given it's only the matches not already being broadcast.

IMHO it'll drive even more people to streaming in the short term. In the longer view, they'll lose a generation forever as the young won't want to pay for football unless it's live as they've already proven with music and even cinema to a lesser extent.
But we'd all happily pay a fiver. They have shot themselves in the foot - I hope.

Thank god for...
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I hadn't realised that the broadcasters had been pushed into charging a ridiculous fee for PPV by the Premier League. What a jolly wheeze that is turning out to be :lolno: :thumbdown: :roll: :oops:
Keep The Faith / WAL
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Rumours that they’re going to scrap PPV all together.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Rumours that they’re going to scrap PPV all together.
Yes, after this weekend, our game against Palace still PPV.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

Excellent news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54932314

The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year, and some fixtures will now be shown on the BBC.

Fulham's game against Everton on Sunday, 22 November (12:00 GMT) will be screened live on BBC One.

The Premier League said all remaining games in November and over the Christmas and New Year period will be shown on existing broadcast services.

The £14.95 pay-per-view fee was introduced in October.

It led to significant protests among fan groups and more than £300,000 has been raised for charity by fans boycotting pay-per-view games after top-flight clubs voted 19-1 in favour of the "interim solution".

Now, the Premier League has reverted to the model used in September, in which all 28 Premier League matches were shown live with all broadcast partners - Sky Sports, BT Sport, the BBC and Amazon Prime - screening matches.

It has announced the broadcast selections for the rest of this month, with the competition resuming after the international break on Saturday, 21 November.

The selections for December and January will follow later.

"There is a full schedule of Premier League games over the festive period and clubs are committed to an accessible solution for fans," said the Premier League in a statement.

"These plans have been made with the cooperation of our broadcast partners, working with us to deliver these additional matches while stadiums are missing the supporters who are such an integral part of the game.

"The agreement will be reviewed in the new year following consultation with clubs, broadcast partners and in line with any decisions made by government regarding the return of spectators to stadiums."

Spectators have been unable to attend Premier League games since football was halted on 13 March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

After the restart of the 2019-20 season, the BBC broadcast its first live Premier League matches, one of which - Southampton's 1-0 win over Manchester City - became the most-watched game in the UK in the league's history, attracting 5.7 million viewers.