Fans back in stadiums

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Fans back in stadiums

Post by Barlow Boy »

Westminster wrote:
Scott wrote:Priorities all wrong at the min. As much as we all want to eventually get back to normal, opening stadia when we still have so many people dying every day from the virus is just reckless.

Between this and the "well they won't stop me seeing my family at Christmas" brigade, it's just as well there's a vaccine on the horizon or we'd be utterly battered by this pandemic come February.
I agree. Over 600 hundred deaths reported today - ie. deaths are still rising.

How anybody can think it's a good idea to get crowds back into football grounds is beyond me. Or to allow social mixing over Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go over 1,000 deaths a day in January/February if they do that, which will be worse than when we started out.

People are talking about these vaccines but it'll be a fair time until they're widely available, I suspect longer than some of the dates that are being bandied about. We should be keeping things restricted until such time as we can get everybody vaccinated. Never mind going to the football.
The increase in deaths reported today is primarily due to the weekend lag in data reporting, and these deaths are as a result of our actions 4,5 and/or even 6 weeks ago, as the virus takes a while to manifest itself, lead to hospitalisations and death etc.

The figure to look for at the moment is the number of new infections, which has been coming down over the last few days, and significantly reduced today, this in time will lead to much lower numbers in hospitals and eventually fewer deaths.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Apparently, numbers are always low at the weekend and on Mondays, due to the the way deaths are recorded. If you compare Tuesday to Tuesday though deaths are still high.

Infection rates will be starting to go down, yes. That's unsurprising as we are in a second lockdown (of sorts) so there is less social mixing than a few weeks ago. But infections will, of course, go up again once they start opening everything up again.

Which is why it's not a good idea to get thousands of people going to football. Not until we have a vaccine available to everybody.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Leeds in Tier 3 :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Barlow Boy wrote:Leeds in Tier 3 :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
And London, Liverpool in Tier 2. Technically, that could mean that Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, etc. might be able to allow some fans in, but Leeds, Man City, etc. wouldn’t. I can’t see that happening. It wouldn’t be a level playing field. I don’t think the EPL can allow fans in the grounds until all home EPL clubs can have fans in.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Otherworld wrote:
And London, Liverpool in Tier 2. Technically, that could mean that Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, etc. might be able to allow some fans in, but Leeds, Man City, etc. wouldn’t. I can’t see that happening. It wouldn’t be a level playing field. I don’t think the EPL can allow fans in the grounds until all home EPL clubs can have fans in.
Not sure about that but agree its the only fair way to wait for all.
Just wouldn't trust the EPL, only thing in our favour is Man Utd will be batting with us :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Otherworld wrote:
There’s nothing to stop Tier 2 clubs having 2,000 fans in, whether they think it’s economically viable is a different question altogether.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Barlow Boy wrote:...whether they think it’s economically viable is a different question altogether.
That's a good point BB.

For example, I mentioned somewhere on here before that our Gaelic Games Stadium for Hurling and Gaelic Football (Croke Park 82,000 capacity) requires minimum 30,000 spectators in before they break even :o
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

kk_white wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:...whether they think it’s economically viable is a different question altogether.
That's a good point BB.

For example, I mentioned somewhere on here before that our Gaelic Games Stadium for Hurling and Gaelic Football (Croke Park 82,000 capacity) requires minimum 30,000 spectators in before they break even :o
It’s a tough one, take Leeds for example, they gave us all a pro-data refund on our ST’s last season, and have already said they will do something similar this year (although it sounds as if you’ll be able to just roll this years into next season).

Anyway, let’s say the average ticket price per season ticket holder (when broken down) is £25, that’s 2,000 (fans) multiplied by £25 (average ticket cost) = £50,000. Obviously, the club will need stewards, medical personnel and other general staff for games fans attend. I don’t know how much these costs are, but bearing in mind the club can make no ‘add on sales’ such as beer, pop and food inside the ground, it must get very quickly to a point where they are actually making a loss.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Although not ideal I think Prem clubs will be ok with TV and Sponsorship money been a large percentage of their budget.

Its the Clubs in the lower leagues that will really struggle, can see a few going bankrupt if things don't get back to normal sooner rather than later.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

This could go in a couple of threads, but for those that haven’t seen it.......

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/ticket ... t-rollover