LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: LUFC Talk - Film Club

Post by Mr Russell »

Mr Russell wrote:Some old movies for me today

Beau Geste 1966 version
Desert Legion 1953

Not sure what's next :problem:
It was Hero's of Telemark :D
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

A few good westerns on TV last night, Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner) was my choice.
Tombstone (Kurt Russell & Val Kcilmer) was also on, tells same story (gunfight at OK corral) but watched not long back. Its one of my favs.
Also caught a bit of "The Nebraskan" early evening.

Didn't watch but was also one of Clints (fistful of dollars) and another that could have been decent "the Viginian" can't watch them all but some great options and that's just FreeView :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Watched "Taking Pelham 123" last night on Soni Movies Classic.
It was the 1974 original with Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw even better than the John Travolta/Denzel Washington remake.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Couldn't decide what to watch last night and after looking around on Youtube for an old movie came across "Raid on Entebbe" so despite having seen it before many years ago I plugged the laptop into the TV and watched again.
If you've not seen it tells to true story of the hijack of a airliner and the Israel special forces operation to rescue the hostages from Uganda (during Idi Amin's reign.

Any film with two of the Magnificent 7 in it can't be too bad ;)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Watched Psycho with Jeanna this afternoon as she'd never seen it, nor any other Hitchcock stuff.
I've got them all on DVD :D

It's not my favourite of his, but it's still an incredible movie the first time you see it, even though she guessed the twist before the end.

I'd forgotten all the details from the "everyday shots" as the plot builds in the first act : the clothes, the busy streets packed with obscure shops and teeming with smartly-dressed people going about their business, the cars, the hairstyles. Also the casual sexism, the persistent cop, the dogged private eye.

I absolutely love old films and have been avidly collecting them for years now.
They're almost as much an escape as a good sci-fi story as it's the closest we get to time travel when you come to think about it.

I think I'll introduce her to Rear Window next, for me Hitch's masterpiece.
I know Vertigo has recently overtaken Citizen Kane to be known widely as the greatest picture ever made, but Window is a much tighter tale : the tiny space it's set in, the pacing of the characterisation and plot, the frustration of Jimmy Stewart's character and the outright bravery of Grace Kelly's. The tension is unlike any film I've ever seen and the pay-off is brilliant.
It's at times hilarious, at times absolutely horrifying, but never anything less than supremely watchable no matter how many times I've seen it.

We'll do Vertigo and Rope, another personal fave, after that I think :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Watched Psycho with Jeanna this afternoon as she'd never seen it, nor any other Hitchcock stuff.
I've got them all on DVD :D

It's not my favourite of his, but it's still an incredible movie the first time you see it, even though she guessed the twist before the end.

I'd forgotten all the details from the "everyday shots" as the plot builds in the first act : the clothes, the busy streets packed with obscure shops and teeming with smartly-dressed people going about their business, the cars, the hairstyles. Also the casual sexism, the persistent cop, the dogged private eye.

I absolutely love old films and have been avidly collecting them for years now.
They're almost as much an escape as a good sci-fi story as it's the closest we get to time travel when you come to think about it.

I think I'll introduce her to Rear Window next, for me Hitch's masterpiece.
I know Vertigo has recently overtaken Citizen Kane to be known widely as the greatest picture ever made, but Window is a much tighter tale : the tiny space it's set in, the pacing of the characterisation and plot, the frustration of Jimmy Stewart's character and the outright bravery of Grace Kelly's. The tension is unlike any film I've ever seen and the pay-off is brilliant.
It's at times hilarious, at times absolutely horrifying, but never anything less than supremely watchable no matter how many times I've seen it.

We'll do Vertigo and Rope, another personal fave, after that I think :)
Agree I think Hitchcock made some cracking films that despite been dated are well worth watching, in fact think Mrs SW & me may just have a Hitchcock season over Xmas as not watched one for a long time.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Watched Bridge of Spies last night (on Film 4 last night), decent film directed by Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks.
Loved the Russian spy character.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

As Hitchcock always appeared in a cameo role in all his movies, Colin Dexter the creator of Morse did in all the TV programmes. It was always a game here who spotted him first. Was never easy.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:As Hitchcock always appeared in a cameo role in all his movies, Colin Dexter the creator of Morse did in all the TV programmes. It was always a game here who spotted him first. Was never easy.
Never knew that.

Mind you, I haven't got a clue what he looks like :D

Psycho's cameo is very early and very easy. Rear Window's is also a doddle as there's only really one place he can be in that particular film.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Watched The Untouchables, seen it before but still a great film in my view.
Actually on BBC last night :shock:

Got to love the shoot out on Union station stairs with the Pram :thumbup:

Costner, De Niro, Garcia and a great performance from the late Sean Connery thrown in :thumbup: