Gary Schofield
Ellery Hanley
Andrew Johns
Steve Menzies
Cliff Lyons

Horse Racing
Damien Oliver
Media Puzzle (yeah that's a horse)
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Greatest Sports Stars

Postby Barlow Boy » 05 Feb 2021, 08:49

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Rugby League - Again, seen 1000’s of games live. Impossible to actually pick the best, as I’d probably forget someone, but Martin Offiah is probably the most exciting, even though he played for Wigan.

What do you mean "even though he played for Wigan"? :roll:

I thought you might see that one :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Postby Selby White » 05 Feb 2021, 09:20

Talking Rugby League players when they opened a Sports centre at a local school (Barlby) a few years back they had numerous local sports put on a exhibition and myself and another player were selected to do the Table Tennis.
The two sporting celebs that came along to do the official opening were Ellery Hanley and Howard Wilkinson.
We got introduced to them as they were walked around the various sports but they stopped with us and wanted a game.
I ended up playing doubles with Ellery against Howard and my mate.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Postby Barlow Boy » 05 Feb 2021, 09:25

Completely ‘off piste’, but Ellery Hanley was a client of mine many years ago :D.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Postby bc grinner » 12 Mar 2021, 20:52

Baseball – Kirby Puckett w/ Minnesota Twins. I was at a game in the mid 80’s where he hit a 9th inning game-winning HR in the old Metrodome and my ears are still ringing.

Basketball – Michael Jordan in the old Salt Palace

Football – David Beckham in Salt Lake City when he was playing for the LA Galaxy.

American Football – Emmitt Smith against Arizona Cardinals in Sun Devil Stadium.

Golf – Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer playing at Park Meadows Country Club in Park City, UT

But most importantly - Professional Wrestling – when I was 9 or 10 years old, I witnessed Andrea the Giant fighting in a Battle Royal in the Civic Center of my old hometown of Minot ND. The last two guys each had a leg and he was halfway over the top rope before he knocked their heads together like a couple of coconuts and tossed them into the third row for the dramatic victory……truly a life-changing moment for a young boy.
bc grinner
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Postby Davycc » 12 Mar 2021, 21:22

Barlow Boy wrote:Completely ‘off piste’, but Ellery Hanley was a client of mine many years ago :D.

How did the pole dancing classes go ? :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Postby Saxon » 13 Mar 2021, 12:00

bc grinner wrote:Baseball – Kirby Puckett w/ Minnesota Twins. I was at a game in the mid 80’s where he hit a 9th inning game-winning HR in the old Metrodome and my ears are still ringing.

Basketball – Michael Jordan in the old Salt Palace

Football – David Beckham in Salt Lake City when he was playing for the LA Galaxy.

American Football – Emmitt Smith against Arizona Cardinals in Sun Devil Stadium.

Golf – Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer playing at Park Meadows Country Club in Park City, UT

But most importantly - Professional Wrestling – when I was 9 or 10 years old, I witnessed Andrea the Giant fighting in a Battle Royal in the Civic Center of my old hometown of Minot ND. The last two guys each had a leg and he was halfway over the top rope before he knocked their heads together like a couple of coconuts and tossed them into the third row for the dramatic victory……truly a life-changing moment for a young boy.

You have a World class line up there Grinner.
Although I have never seen any of these players in person I watched them many times on television.
Never forget some of the Bulls v Celtics games from the Jordan/Larry Bird era, titanic clashes.
Emmitt Smith, Cowboys v Patriots, Cowboys v Giants. I think he was rated as the toughest running back in modern times, just ground it out game after game.
Golf, I think we have Arnold Palmer tournament this weekend.
Andrea the Giant, I think his greatest performance was starring in 'The Princess Bride'. :roll:
Saxon
Brian McDermott's optician

Previous

Return to Members interviews