LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Allan Clarke

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Allan Clarke

Post by Selby White »

The first thing most Leeds fans think about when you mention Allan "sniffer" Clarke is that certain goal at Wembley in May 1972
and the immortal words "Clarke One nil".

However that wasn't the first time he scored a goal that won some silverware the previous year he scored the all important goal in the 2nd leg 1-1 draw in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup final that gave us victory over the Italian giants on away goals following a earlier 2-2 draw in Turin.
My memories of that 2nd leg was been on holiday in Italy with my parents (aged 13) and watching it in a bar full of Italians :shock:

He was the man the Don bought to get goals, he was clinical and formed a strike partnership with Mick Jones that will take some beating they complemented each other perfectly.

Well 151 goals for the Club looks like the Don spent £165,000 wisely.

10 goals in 19 England appearances in a day when the International teams didn't play the weaker nations to get caps and goals up.

Here are a few of Sniffers goals for you to enjoy -

Off course Allan like a few other members of the great team also did a stint as manager.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Allan Clarke

Post by Saxon »

Allan Clarke's final season for Liecester before we signed him in the summer of '69 was a turbulent year.
Liecester were relegated from the old 1st division and lost in the FA cup final to Manchester City 1-0.
In the FA cup final, Manchester controlled much of the game, but Clarke, a striker for the loosing team was voted 'Man of the Match', a classy performance against a dominant side.
The 2 goals I remember best from Allan were both in the same game, a FA Cup replay at Elland Road against Liverpool. Game was played on a midweek afternoon as there was no electricity for floodlights. Both goals were one on one with Liverpool keeper, not sure if it was Clemence yet, Typical striker's goals, slipped one wide of keeper and chipped the other over his head, calm as anything.
Strange thing my Dad was 'Old school', he loved John Charles, Dixie Dean, the old style centre forwards who would mow down centre halfs, but he loved the stylish clinical Allan Clarke, who some said was lazy.Then again he threw me a curve ball when after praising the likes of Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano he suddenly took to the style of Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Allan Clarke

Post by The Fonz »

And lets not forget it was AC that would have scored in Paris had not Franz Beckenbauer brought him down for a Penalty that for some reason the Ref missed :evil: