Brighton vs Leeds United Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Brighton vs Leeds United Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

Ok you asked for it ;)

Brighton Hove Albion vs Leeds United Memories

What are your memories of this fixture?

Was it Luke Murphy’s last minute winner in the first game of season – 2013/2014?

Vinny Jones scoring and his trade mark celebration in a 3-0 home romp in that super 1989/1990 season?

Was it those lovely trips to the Withdean stadium?

Was it any of those games played in the old Division Two back in the 1980’s?

Ben White’s return to Elland Road this season as Brighton beat us 1-0?

Was it Chris Wood’s 2 goals in a 2-0 home win in the 2016/2017 season as we kept up hopes of a play-off spot?

What’s yours?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Brighton vs Leeds United Memories

Post by Selby White »

In the past when talking nostalgia have always said our school was split down the middle between us and Scum,not actually 100% accurate as we had a sprinkling of others including a Brighton fan, think his family originated from there, not sure if he still goes but he often followed them home and away so fair play to him.

Think I only visited Brighton a couple of times and that was the Goldstone Ground, remember about 20 of us (Selby & York lads) travelled on the midnight train from York to London (following a tour of York Pubs) and arrived about 8am in Brighton. it was find a cafe for a full english followed by a game of footie on a car park on the front. The game ended about 50 a-side (all Leeds fans) until the Pubs opened.
All a can remember is I can't tell you anything about the actual match we went to see, must have been another poor one on the South Coast.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Trying to remember I went to The Withdean Stadium ( I use the word stadium very loosely ) in 2008 & 2009 I think. On the last visit it started pouring down & Brighton stewards handed out free pac o macs to us Leeds fans. The hood was very pointed & looking round I thought I was attending a meeting of The Ku Klux Klan :lol: The second goal from Fabian Delph sent us home in raptures.
The Withdean was an athletics stadium that housed Brighton for a couple of seasons. It’s up there as one of the worst grounds ever. No pubs nearby we stopped both times in Hayward’s Heath. The away end was miles away from the action.

Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I can remember the Luke Murphy goal like it was yesterday, there were bodies everywhere that day in the KOP :D, it was so loud, absolutely incredible.

I still think it was handball though ;)
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Trying to remember I went to The Withdean Stadium ( I use the word stadium very loosely ) in 2008 & 2009 I think. On the last visit it started pouring down & Brighton stewards handed out free pac o macs to us Leeds fans. The hood was very pointed & looking round I thought I was attending a meeting of The Ku Klux Klan :lol: The second goal from Fabian Delph sent us home in raptures.
The Withdean was an athletics stadium that housed Brighton for a couple of seasons. It’s up there as one of the worst grounds ever. No pubs nearby we stopped both times in Hayward’s Heath. The away end was miles away from the action.

That mock tudor building behind the stand NW is a pub, I have played there a number of times both Saturday and Sunday football.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Late 1970's, night game at Elland Road. Big burly center forward for Brighton, think it was Robinson, goes up for a header with Paul Madely right in front of me on the Lowfields touchline. This guy gives Paul the most blatant elbow to the face I ever saw, Paul bends over face in hands, blood pouring out, ends up with broken nose. Fans around me were so incensed, lucky there wasn't a pitch invasion to get the guy.