Sixth Of May

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Sixth Of May

Post by Paul ITFC »

Is a very significant date for me because on that date in 1972 I was at Wembley to see 'Super Leeds' beat Arsenal in the F.A. Cup Final.

Also on that date but in 1978 I was at Wembley to see ITFC beat Arsenal in the F.A. Cup Final.

Thirdly, on 6th May 1981 I was at Portman Road to see ITFC beat AZ Alkmaar 3-0 in the first leg of the UEFA Cup Final, a completion that we won after a nervy game in Amsterdam two weeks later.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sixth Of May

Post by Barlow Boy »

A significant date for me too, it’s 5 years ago today since I retired :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Was too young for the 72 cup final but the 1978 version was the first FA Cup Final I ever watched, it was also when my mother decided that she would follow Ipswich.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The cup win is still mt personal highlight as a Leeds fan. Sickens me how the competition has been devalued over the last few years. The FA Cup final was the highlight of the domestic season with television running from about 09:00 in the morning with programmes like it’s a knockout. 2 days later saw me at Molineux where I was hoping to see us do the double, as they the rest is history.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:A significant date for me too, it’s 5 years ago today since I retired :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your retirement lasted longer than mine. I enjoyed it for 11 months and that was 21 years ago :(
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Paul ITFC wrote:Is a very significant date for me because on that date in 1972 I was at Wembley to see 'Super Leeds' beat Arsenal in the F.A. Cup Final.

Also on that date but in 1978 I was at Wembley to see ITFC beat Arsenal in the F.A. Cup Final.

Thirdly, on 6th May 1981 I was at Portman Road to see ITFC beat AZ Alkmaar 3-0 in the first leg of the UEFA Cup Final, a completion that we won after a nervy game in Amsterdam two weeks later.
Not a date you will forget in a hurry :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

6th May 1978 I was in ATC and went gliding at Kenley.

Unfortunately it was foggy so we sat around for several hours then took so long to get home that I missed the Cup Final.

I never did get of the ground with ATC.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm another that remembers that day in 72, massive day in my life that I will always remember.
Was actually my 2nd visit to Wembley as has been to watch a schoolboy International match England v West Germany on a school trip.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The cup win is still mt personal highlight as a Leeds fan. Sickens me how the competition has been devalued over the last few years. The FA Cup final was the highlight of the domestic season with television running from about 09:00 in the morning with programmes like it’s a knockout. 2 days later saw me at Molineux where I was hoping to see us do the double, as they the rest is history.
Wasn,t this also broadcast on both ITV and BBC 1 at the same time? I know there use to be a right battle between the two tv companies to outwit each other.

Unless I got this wrong but they use to follow the team buses from their hotels,Interview players on the pitch in their suits before the game etc etc It lasted much longer than most Sky PL matches now use to be about 6 hrs long. :lol:
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The cup win is still mt personal highlight as a Leeds fan. Sickens me how the competition has been devalued over the last few years. The FA Cup final was the highlight of the domestic season with television running from about 09:00 in the morning with programmes like it’s a knockout. 2 days later saw me at Molineux where I was hoping to see us do the double, as they the rest is history.

We often have debates on the ITFC Forum that I am on and those of us that were about at the time say that our 1978 semi-final win against WBA at Highbury was so memorable that when John Wark scored very late on to clinch our 3-1 win it meant so much 'because we were going to Wembley'. Several of us agree that the moment that Warky scored was the single most special ITFC moment that we had witnessed,even more so than actually winning the cup.

That 1972 'double' was what might have been/should have been.

In 1981 Ipswich went into April chasing the title, F.A. Cup and UEFA Cup and to ONLY end up with the UEFA Cup was and is a disappointment.