2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by HalifaxWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I’m just thinking out loud here but are we still having to pay £18:5m for Augustin as this could be stopping any potential transfers.
Oh god don't kick that hornets nest on here again :D

At the moment it is still pending, nothing to say we absolutely must pay it now and nothing to say we absolutely will not be paying it either. I think it will be resolved this season though so if we are made to pay then that will be this year's budget.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

From Leeds Live.

Leeds United have had a bid for midfielder Lewis O'Brien rejected by Huddersfield Town, according to Football Insider.

The 22-year-old has been the subject of intense speculation in recent days, with the Whites seemingly stepping up their interest after losing out on Chelsea's Conor Gallagher.

However, the Terriers have reportedly turned down an offer for their most prized asset, who has become an integral member of their squad.

Carlos Corberan, formerly a member of Marcelo Bielsa's backroom staff, is in charge at Huddersfield and has insisted he wants to keep O'Brien at the club

An all-action midfielder, the former Bradford City loanee would add some much-needed depth to the Whites midfield and provide competition for the likes of Mateusz Klich and Jamie Shackleton.

O'Brien has a year remaining on his contract at the John Smith's Stadium, although there is an option for an extension in his current deal.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
Oh god don't kick that hornets nest on here again :D
Sounds like a Stieg Larsson expression ;)
Winner of the Europa League
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote: 1st Team
Midfielder who can play 8/10
Left winger

u23s
Left back
Centre back
Midfield 8/10
Left winger
I think if we can bring in a young LB who's ready to be close to the first team, like Josh Doig, then we can consider Dallas a certified CM, and after that we just need some more quality in attack, with a player who can play in midfield or out wide. A younger Hernandez, essentially.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

If we look at the squad in terms of replacing players who have left, it looks like we have some business still to do…

Berardi - could be argued that a replacement is not needed, with Drameh looking like an able deputy for Ayling.
Casilla- replaced by Klaessen, but looking light on experience.
Douglass - replaced by Junior Firpo
Alioski - a replacement needed at LWB
Hernandez - a replacement needed.

It could also be argued that, if we want to move forward rather than just maintaining our position in the league, we need to replace 2 or 3 squad players with better alternatives. Of the current in-comers, only Firpo really looks like a significant improvement. Of current players in danger of falling below the standards needed, I think Costa and Roberts are prime candidates. Klich might be looking over his shoulder too.
Seathrun66
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Seathrun66 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I’m just thinking out loud here but are we still having to pay £18:5m for Augustin as this could be stopping any potential transfers.
It's likely to be spread over 4/5 seasons but it's pretty clear that this is part of the reason we've not moved for De Paul or Nandez.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

Otherworld wrote:If we look at the squad in terms of replacing players who have left, it looks like we have some business still to do…

Berardi - could be argued that a replacement is not needed, with Drameh looking like an able deputy for Ayling.

It could also be argued that, if we want to move forward rather than just maintaining our position in the league, we need to replace 2 or 3 squad players with better alternatives. Of the current in-comers, only Firpo really looks like a significant improvement. Of current players in danger of falling below the standards needed, I think Costa and Roberts are prime candidates. Klich might be looking over his shoulder too.
Douglas was not part of the squad last year, so I would not put him in this list. Firpo came for Alioski.
Seathrun66
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Seathrun66 »

superfox wrote:
Otherworld wrote:If we look at the squad in terms of replacing players who have left, it looks like we have some business still to do…

Douglas was not part of the squad last year, so I would not put him in this list. Firpo came for Alioski.
We were looking for a left-back anyway, even if Alioski stayed. Hence our (possible) interest in Josh Doig as a back-up, he'd be closer to a replacement for Alioski.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

Seathrun66 wrote:
superfox wrote:

We were looking for a left-back anyway, even if Alioski stayed. Hence our (possible) interest in Josh Doig as a back-up, he'd be closer to a replacement for Alioski.
True, but if we need to replace someone, that's Leif Davis and not Douglas.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

Kent rumblings again this morning after Rangers were dumped out of the champions league. Can see this happening along with O'Brien in the next couple of weeks.