LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Gordan Strachan

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Gordan Strachan

Post by Selby White »

The story we all know too well -

Released by Fergie at Scum deemed past his best.
Signed by Wilko to lead the mighty whites to the 2nd division title.
Two years later beat Scum to become the last Champions of England.
Legend :thumbup:

Enjoy this tribute -

Strach Trivia -
Played over 200 games for 3 different clubs - Aberdeen 292, Leeds 235 & Scum 202.
Became the first player to win the FWA Player of the year in both Scotland & England.

So what are your memories ?

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Gordan Strachan

Post by The Fonz »

Would be great if we could find another like him, a player that led by example.
Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

A great choice for our Hall of fame and for me probably the most significant signing in my lifetime.

For so many years in the 1980's, Leeds had lacked the spark and inspiration to get back on their feet as a club. John Sheridan had carried the beacon of hope for many years but the club wasn't really making any progress as a whole. When Howard Wilkinson arrived there were signs of real intent, with useful signings and a general purpose around the club. It still needed that spark to make it all happen.

Despite Gordon playing for "the Manchester side" he was a player that I - along with my Leeds supporting friends and family - had admired and often cited as "the sort of player we really need here". Then, when we were away on holiday, my friend (who had come with us) and I had gone out for a drink (or several perhaps....) Leeds - and this specific issue - had been discussed at great length. By the time we got back in, my dad had turned in for the night but had left us a note. The sports news on the BBC world service had announced that Gordon had signed for Leeds. Not just a similar player, but Gordon Strachan himself. We were elated. It showed the club had real intent and ambition, and for the first time I felt that we really were on the way back from the doldrums of Division 2 (as was). There was at last a very real reason for hope.

In the end, he not only inspired our return to the top flight, but so much more. A fourth placed finish in our first season back in Division 1, with a league title to follow, was more than anyone could have hoped for. His resilience and longevity was astounding and has probably only been matched in recent times by James Milner.

A technically brilliant midfielder, but also an inspirational and adept leader, for me Gordon will always be one of our greatest players.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I had to take multiple trains and tubes to catch average Leeds teams in London. Then Strachan signs and suddenly my Mum & Dad are driving us to matches! Wilko's best ever signing. Strachan and Batty my favourite players from that 89/90 turnaround season. Such fond memories :-)