Juventus friendly

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Juventus friendly

Post by Saxon »

Was thinking about some old workmates from late 1960's, and remember one older gentleman talking about this game which he attended.
I didn't even remember the game, would have been 7 years old. Never heard anybody except the old man speak of it and never read of it, even when John Charles died and his great strike partner at Juventus, Omar Sivori came to the funeral in Leeds.
The agreement with Juventus is that they would play a friendly at Elland Road in addition to the 65,000 pounds transfer fee for John Charles.
I decided to do a bit of digging and came up with this programme for sale as the only reference I could find about the game.
If you cannot read the date on the programme the game was played 2 Oct 1957, 7.30 pm kickoff. programme price threepence in old money, what's that today, 1.25 pence?
The old man told me that Sivori drove the Leeds defence crazy with his skill and antics, that is until Jack Charlton got mad and booted him.
Score 4-2 to juventus is sticking in my memory from conversation with the old man.
Anybody got anymore info about this game?
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Juventus friendly

Post by Mr Russell »

Click the link, its off the excellent Oz White's site about the game, gives line ups, scorers and some pages of the programme. Take a look!

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/leeds_fri ... 0-1957.php
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

There's a novel about John (and wife Peggy) Charles called 'The Gigante' and it is set in 1956 & '57.

I remember reading that the friendly was quite feisty actually, involving as usual Sivori who was quite the cheeky chappy as he was so skilful and liked to remind opponents how good he was! I think he got into a bit of a scuffle with one Leeds player, it might have been Georgie Meek but I'm probably wrong on that.
VALLEY BOY
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by VALLEY BOY »

How much would John Chales be worth today ???
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:There's a novel about John (and wife Peggy) Charles called 'The Gigante' and it is set in 1956 & '57.

I remember reading that the friendly was quite feisty actually, involving as usual Sivori who was quite the cheeky chappy as he was so skilful and liked to remind opponents how good he was! I think he got into a bit of a scuffle with one Leeds player, it might have been Georgie Meek but I'm probably wrong on that.
Yes, I have got a copy. Excellent read. If anyone on here is interested in this part of Leeds history, this is a 'must have' book.
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

VALLEY BOY wrote:How much would John Chales be worth today ???
£200 million as a Centre Forward
£100m as a CH

:D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

johnh wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:There's a novel about John (and wife Peggy) Charles called 'The Gigante' and it is set in 1956 & '57.

Yes, I have got a copy. Excellent read. If anyone on here is interested in this part of Leeds history, this is a 'must have' book.
Wish there were more people saying that, John :thumbup: :angel:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

It might actually have been Archie Gibson who had the kerfuffle with Sivori.

Charles took some of the Juve players on a guided tour of Leeds city centre while they were here, there's a few photos on the www.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Thanks for the replies guys, thanks for the link Mr Russel.