Postponed

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Postponed

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I see yesterday Burnley vs Spurs was postponed at the 11th hour with I’m sure the Tottenham fans already in the town. Have you any stories of games postponed that you were attending ?

For me we travelled as far as Leeds station & had to change there to get to Manchester and the City away game. As we were walking down the platform a group of Leeds fans asked did we know our game had been called off. Obviously this was way before t’internet or mobile phones etc. We thanked the lads & made our way to the buffet for a cuppa & decide what to do. A chap on his own sat with us another casualty of the postponement he asked were we going home we said probably he said he was going to Elland Road to watch the reserves play Everton in the Central League so we decided that’s what we would do.

The only stand open was the west stand & this was my first time in there & wouldn’t go back in till Clough came to the club & we went in to barrack him. Anyway this was to become my first & only Central League game as Everton won 8-1 :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Postponed

Post by Emley White »

I was a member of the Midlands branch of our Supporters club when I lived in Crewe back in the 80's. The coach used to come off the motorway and pick a crowd of us up in Cheshire. I remember we were playing Sheffield Wednesday and it seemed funny there were only 2 of us waiting for the coach. A guy I knew drove past and shouted that the game was off, i just hadn't thought of checking the news before setting off even though there was snow all around doh!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I see yesterday Burnley vs Spurs was postponed at the 11th hour with I’m sure the Tottenham fans already in the town. Have you any stories of games postponed that you were attending ?

For me we travelled as far as Leeds station & had to change there to get to Manchester and the City away game. As we were walking down the platform a group of Leeds fans asked did we know our game had been called off. Obviously this was way before t’internet or mobile phones etc. We thanked the lads & made our way to the buffet for a cuppa & decide what to do. A chap on his own sat with us another casualty of the postponement he asked were we going home we said probably he said he was going to Elland Road to watch the reserves play Everton in the Central League so we decided that’s what we would do.

The only stand open was the west stand & this was my first time in there & wouldn’t go back in till Clough came to the club & we went in to barrack him. Anyway this was to become my first & only Central League game as Everton won 8-1 :roll:
Just reminded me. In 1957 I had just been demobbed from National Service. In my first job, my boss was a guy who was a keen Leeds United supporter. He was a season ticket holder and went to every home game. One week = first team, next week = reserves. In those days the reserves played in the old Central League. He never missed a game for either team.
Mind you, he was a bit of a stickler. I was playing for Yorkshire Amateur and we played Farsley Celtic in the FA Cup. We drew 0 - 0 and the replay was on the following Wednesday afternoon at Farsley Celtic. Their ground was only a short walk from where I worked at Stanningley. I asked my boss for time off and he agreed but said that I had to make up the time after the game. We won 2 - 1 (I got MoM!) After my shower and change, I had to walk back to the office and put in another couple of hours.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Three times in the 70's -

1. Was at Forest and went on the train, the football special (remember them :shock: ). Anyway we got to Nottingham only to be met most of East Midlands finest boys in blue who proceeded with the help of dogs and horses herd us into a tunnel (goods entrance I think). They held us there for ages and news slowly came through that the match was off because of fog.
We couldn't believe it as it was sunny at the station.
We of course asked if we could nip into Nottingham for a beer but they seemed to be reluctant to allow 500 Leeds fans out of the station.
Held us there ages (without toilets or access to food or drink) until they arranged a train to take us back to Leeds.
Still full of humour we all started singing the Geordie Blaydon Races Song with the words changed to "going down to Nottingham, just to see the station".

2. Hartlepool in the FA Cup, went up in car so no real stories but didn't find out until we were about 5 miles away.
Went back a few days later to beat them 6-2 :D

3. Liverpool away on the Service train, arrived in the City to find it cancelled so basically a few beers followed by a visit to a strip Club (about 20 of us) :shh:
A few of us then went to the pictures to see the cult movie "The Warriors" which had just come out.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

As I've mentioned a few times before about 10-12 of us used to hire a minibus (took turns to drive), ferry over and do a couple of games over the weekend. One weekend, I can't remember now what the games were but both matches Sat and Sun were postponed. Cost us a fortune in beer as we ended up in pubs watching other games.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders