Dangerous cities in Europe

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Dangerous cities in Europe

Post by mapperleywhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Nottingham my adopted city in at 32. The top 3 all in England.
Yes Nottingham is dangerous if you plan a walk through St Anns, Meadows, Bullwell etc at 3 AM....
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Barlow Boy wrote:I do treat these surveys as a bit of a joke though.
With good reason, BB :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbeo

In 2017, a man from Sweden named Linus Trulsson showed how easily Numbeo stats could be manipulated, by pushing the Swedish city of Lund to become the most dangerous city in the world on the website's "Crime Index Rate" in less than a day. Trulsson added that Numbeo should hardly be considered stats, as anyone can change the data, as many times as they want, in complete anonymity.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:Suspect Europe is the safest continent
Never felt at risk in Beijing, Hong Kong nor the various cities I visited in India.

Probably the favourite country I've visited is South Africa. BUT any local will tell you that, as a white person, there are certain parts of major cities are a total no-no, eg Soweto. Also my consulting partner, who lived there for >20 years, had his daughter violated because the perpetrator believed it was a cure for AIDS.

Inevitably I'm going to mention Colombia. Mrs MW grew up in a part of Medellin that could be classed a few notches up from a favela, so no planning permission, electricity connection tenuous etc. I never felt a moment's concern in her barrio (Manrique Oriental, if you want to look on google maps). I did feel uneasy in 'El huecho' (BB will translate :lol: ) in her city and also on San Andres where we were offered drugs by a rasta - the island is closer to Jamaica than mainland Colombia.
The European statement is a basically because I can't think of any countries in Europe (other than Ukraine and Russia given the current threat of war) that I wouldn't travel to because of safety concerns.

Not the ones you mention as there are good places on all continents but they are plenty of countries in both Asia and Africa that need to be avoided. South America soo far as been fine but only been to 3 countries although someone tried to steal Mrs SW's bag in San Telmo district of Buenos Aires but to be fair that could have been Lisbon (as discussed earlier).
The home office red list backs this theory up.

Have travelled to many cities in USA & Canada that were perfectly safe despite bad safety scores. Most of the crime isn't aimed at tourists.
Not sure whether Central America counts with North or South America but I believe a few places are no go.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Only place we’ve visited in Central America is Costa Rica which is stunning and felt very safe. However Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador & Nicaragua are not high on my bucket list. Funny how one country is so safe yet their neighbours appear to be the opposite.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

MOT1964 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I do treat these surveys as a bit of a joke though.
With good reason, BB :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbeo

In 2017, a man from Sweden named Linus Trulsson showed how easily Numbeo stats could be manipulated, by pushing the Swedish city of Lund to become the most dangerous city in the world on the website's "Crime Index Rate" in less than a day. Trulsson added that Numbeo should hardly be considered stats, as anyone can change the data, as many times as they want, in complete anonymity.
Jeez, I didn’t know it was that easy :shock: :shock: :shock:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.