2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

corkleedsmot wrote:
mshnd06 wrote:I really think you will love Aaronson. Passionate, will die for his squad, excellent leadership, creative, driven, never concedes a cause, elevates teammates, intelligent, will run forever, a joy to watch. Some of this is yank-bias. That said I'd take him over any other American save Gio Reyna in a heartbeat
I worry a little about the 28 mill being paid although I really rate him. At least this is unlike Rodrigo where we coild never recoup and Aaronsen will be around for 10 more years at least.

He can play at tempo and he is very hard working. Our next midfielder signing needs to be a bit more cultured and creative though.

If it was say 20 mill in euros it would just sound much better :lolno:

This is a large chunk of our budget
Think we rely on creativity from the flanks and teams that do that need workers in the middle of the park, very accepted theory discussed within coaching circles.
If JM goes back to playing narrow we certainly need one but that would be in place of a winger.

Basically a team can afford only so many luxury players.
Of course get a worker that is also creative and you've hit the jackpot but isn't too many about, gold dust comes to mind.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Selby White wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:
mshnd06 wrote:I really think you will love Aaronson. Passionate, will die for his squad, excellent leadership, creative, driven, never concedes a cause, elevates teammates, intelligent, will run forever, a joy to watch. Some of this is yank-bias. That said I'd take him over any other American save Gio Reyna in a heartbeat
I worry a little about the 28 mill being paid although I really rate him. At least this is unlike Rodrigo where we coild never recoup and Aaronsen will be around for 10 more years at least.

He can play at tempo and he is very hard working. Our next midfielder signing needs to be a bit more cultured and creative though.

If it was say 20 mill in euros it would just sound much better :lolno:

This is a large chunk of our budget
Think we rely on creativity from the flanks and teams that do that need workers in the middle of the park, very accepted theory discussed within coaching circles.
If JM goes back to playing narrow we certainly need one but that would be in place of a winger.

Basically a team can afford only so many luxury players.
Of course get a worker that is also creative and you've hit the jackpot but isn't too many about, gold dust comes to mind.
Well my thinking is Raphinha will go and he won't really be replaced like for like. Jack will likely be hung on to at to provide some flexibility although I don't think he will suit Marsch style to be honest and I find him to be very inconsistent and ineffective in a lot of games anyway. Minamino is probably likely to agree to come now the season is over and I feel he will suit Marschball alot more and understands the system already. Maybe forrest don't go up and we go for Brennan Johnson

I think we will be playing narrow next year although he has shown flexibility, I believe he gave up trying to get this team playing narrow this season and will work on it in the summer.

1 striker to challenge Bamford. Young Striker preferably like Sesko would be perfect. Wouldn't play every game but already strong enough to start or add something off the bench. huge ceiling.

I think Joffy can play the more central att midfielder role and is very unlikely to ever be a modern 9.

Other than that the focus should be on a new defence. We can't be so bad in defence. It is awful how frail it is even now. I don't really rate any of the defenders at this stage. Llorente I still there is a player in there but confidence wise he is shot. I think the rest are looked at with white tinted glasses from most. I know it is not sexy but it should be our focus to get players like Gvardiol, Spence and Collins etc in.

lots of the players like Costa and Roberts should be shifted on. One player who might thrive in Marschball is Poveda? I still feel there is a serious player in there somewhere.

Anyway all the players mentioned are very young and that should be our MO. Buy young players with very high ceilings like those. They are all blue chip prospects.Sell one Raphinha and buy 3/4 of these should be our model. Rinse repeat.

I love exciting young talent. but I think people are really overestimating what is in our academy when comparing it to premier league football. Yes there are some gems but mostly only ready to have a go in a decent championship team.

It should be an interesting summer. I do worry about Orta though and think he may well blow a lot of funds on stupidity.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

If there is any thought about holding onto KP or even Raphinha, we must be ruthles with selling also. Cooper, Klich and Ayling( even staying up I will not forgive his red card) should be sold or take on bench place. Rodrigo should be sold even if it is a loss, just take some money and cut the wages. We dont need disinterested player who does not fit the squad or playstyle.

Yes, buying many players is dangerous, but we need quality pump for the team. Earlier it is done, the better.

Even more important than transfers are contracts. KP should get new contract ASAP with PL wages. Same goes for Struijk and Gelhard, we need to tie them down for better contract, both have 2024 ending contract.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

guitarmark wrote:I know we need to let the dust settle down - We need to sort out quickly the KP + Raph situation and build from there

I think we'll only have so much funds to play with so need to prioritise - Certain positions maybe not be ideal/strong enough, but neither are they crap, so for now we can stay as they are - CB for instance - Maybe Koch/Llorente are not ideal along with Cooper/Struijk, but with Hjelde and Cresswell coming through we can leave that area alone for now

RB - Sort out what is happening with Cody - Give him a chance for the start of the season - Then accept it will be a case that Ayling/Dallas to come back later - So potentially acceptable for now

LB - Firpo can go, or at best be a reserve option - this is a priority position to sort out

Assume Raph is going - But I would not be looking for any replacement for now - Summerville emerging, Harrison, James, Dallas to return and even Costa - So not priority

Midfield - Assume KP stays - Need at least 2 players - Better than Klich and Forshaw - To be fair KP + Forshaw have rarely played together so there is potential there- Yet we have not purchased a midfield player for 3/4 seasons - We need a Conor Callagher + a Pablo style player - Box to box - Attacking/flair and each get 5-8 goals a year - Again those 2 positions to be a priority

Up front - Maybe it is an obvious position we need to spend on - But with a fit PB, the option of Rodrigo, Gelhardt and Greenwood emerging we are not as week as it might appear to be - Assume Raph goes, then in my opinion a Ryan Kent style player would be an interesting option - Can play wide/central and get goals - So can play with the likes of PB and/or be an another option as required

To conclude - LB + 2 attacking midfield are priority over anything else - I'm not sure who they should be as many options out there - If KP goes then that instantly becomes a priority gap to fill
Agree with all of this, only thing I would add is what about goalkeepers? Meslier is great but I think we would benefit from an experienced backup if one is available. If Meslier had got injured this season I think we would have struggled more than we did!
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

I would like us to go for Pope and Taylor from Burnley.

Take some pressure off Meslier and help him progress.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PC71 wrote:I would like us to go for Pope and Taylor from Burnley.

Take some pressure off Meslier and help him progress.
Pope is 30 years old and some would say a prime age for a keeper, he isn't going to come here to play 2nd fiddle to Meslier.
Should only sign someone such as Pope if we are happy to lose Meslier, not for me.
Meslier has two seasons Premier League experience, he's no longer a kid and will have International ambitions, he wont want to sit on the bench.

Klaesson is good and one day may overtake Meslier not a problem position in my eyes.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The last Waltz
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by The last Waltz »

It’s going to be a very interesting preseason, we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, particularly when one considers the amount of under 23s that the potential to kick on next season. Dremah, Creswell, Heljd, Gray, Geldhart & Summerville all have the potential to establish themselves next year, however a couple of them along the likes of Greenwood, Kennah & Bate, probably need to go loan to a championship clubs as retaining them all would stifle their development. For me senior recruitment of a Centre back, Left back, an 8, a 10 and probably a big centre forward is required.

I’d be happy to discard, Lorente, Koch and possibly cooper if a Tarkowski or Gvardiol could be acquired, Firipo should be sold and quality left back in the Charlie Taylor mould should be acquired. A Nandez or Connor Gallagher type needs recruiting to complement Aarnson who I see as the 10. That leaves the dilemma up top, where Joffy needs game time, but might not be the type to play up top on his own as effectively as Bamford. Maybe an old stager like a Cavani might be the answer, unless there is a 20 goal a season lead the line centre forward available for less than £40m!

Assuming Raphinia forces through a move & Philips stays. Others to offloaded would be Costa, Klich, Rodrigo whilst we can not afford to assume Dallas and Forshaw will ever play again.

At U23 level we are probably covered with the exception of left back.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

All over social media that our first signing will be Aaronson at a cost of £28m.
Winner of the Europa League
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Goalkeepers: Meslier, Klaesson, [/i]Casilla[/i]
I think that having two GKs who are the same age hinders the development of one of them, so I'd loan out Klaesson and bring in an experienced backup keeper. Obviously, I'd sell Casilla.

Right backs: Ayling, Dallas, Shackleton, Drameh
The first two are going to the first few months of next season, presenting an opportunity for the latter two, particularly Drameh. Shackleton could really do with a loan himself though, albeit this is probably his best opportunity to establish himself at Leeds. His sparse usage by Marsch so far suggests Marsch might have some doubts about him though. Regardless, I don't think this is a position we need to recruit in.

Centre backs: Llorente, Cooper, Koch, Struijk, Cresswell
I'd definitely sell one of Llorente and Koch in the summer (probably Llorente), with a view to moving Cresswell up the pecking order. If both were to depart, then we'd need another CB, but I think that Koch deserves an extended opportunity in his preferred position first.

Left backs: Firpo, Hjelde, Davis, De Bock
I expect Davis to leave, although I think it's a shame it hasn't worked out for him here. De Bock's contract is about to expire, so he'll definitely leave on a free (finally). Hjelde is more of a CB, so I'd definitely look at bringing in a LB for the U23s. On top of that, I just don't think that Firpo is suited to the intensity of the EPL and that it would be best for him to be sold, with a new LB being brought in, such as Charlie Taylor, Sergio Gomez (Anderlecht) or Maxwel Cornet (he played there a lot at Lyon, so would represent something quite similar to Alioski there). Struijk and Dallas also offer options here.

Central midfielders: Phillips, Forshaw, Klich, Bate
We all hope Phillips will stay, but it remains to be seen. He'll need to be replaced then. Either way, I'd still look to bring in a new CM (Adams? McKennie? O'Brien?), perhaps as a Klich replacement (sadly), who has been in and out of the team under Marsch.

Wingers/Attacking midfielders: Raphinha, Harrison, James, Summerville, Costa, Poveda
I think it's pretty likely that Raphinha will leave, and I wish him all the best. I also expect Costa and Poveda to leave too, and I could see Summerville leaving in some capacity. Marsch has generally preferred attacking midfielders to wingers, so alongisde Aaronson arriving, I expect Raphinha's replacement to be more in the attacking midfield mould, than a winger (Minamino perhaps?). Dan James has been linked with Atalanta, and I wouldn't be too fazed if he did leave. He too would need to be replaced.

Forwards: Bamford, Rodrigo, Roberts, Gelhardt, Greenwood
Hopefully Bamford will have better luck with injuries next season. I'd definitely sell Rodrigo, as it just hasn't worked out and, like Firpo, I don't think he suits the Premier League. I'd probably sell Roberts too. Therefore, despite the emergence of Gelhardt and Greenwood, I'd still bring in a new CF (Nketiah?).

A busy summer, essentially.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

The last Waltz wrote: along the likes of Greenwood, Kennah & Bate

Greenwood got some of the best ratings yesterday and JM has said he's the one player who has taken on board his ideas the most. Part of the Premier League squad for me

quality left back in the Charlie Taylor mould

My initial thought as well, but I've just seen MOTD and he's 100% at fault for Newcastle's second goal. I remember he was decent going forward but not always the greatest defensively.

Also hope there's some bridge-building with Cody Drameh as I get the impression that Ayling is past his best now
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....