anyone worth pursuing?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: anyone worth pursuing?

Post by saihtam »

No need for Cornet if we start playing more trough middle. Not fan of Burnely CB also, Tarkowski might be a shout but dont forget what kind of football they played. We need our CBs to be more qucker with good passing ability. We wont sit back like they did.

From Burnely I would go for Dwight McNeil rather. He is young and could slot also into midfield. Sadly Burnley youngster so doubt he moves at least for one season. Also Hennesy might be up for free(if they wont trigger option), so experience GK for bench is good for that price.
Professor Giles
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Professor Giles »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Costy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Polkadot wrote:
Costy wrote:Nick Pope maybe? Meslier pulls off great saves at times but he has conceded a fair few goals that he should have saved or from absolute shambolic play. A more reliable keeper might be important.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Pope ends up in Newcastle, West Ham or Leicester (Schmeichel is getting old now, isn’t he?) which all probably have more attraction power than we have.

Also, Meslier have not had a perfect season but he is young and there should be every reason to believe he will continue to grow. I don’t think GK is a position where we should spend a lot of money. Maybe a old backup like Ben Foster instead? (And send Klaesson out on loan)
Not for me Klaesson stays, don't need a keeper although do rate Pope but why waste money, not a priority position.
Maybe, maybe not. Meslier has conceded a lot of poor goals this season. Much improvement needed if he's to become a reliable, top level keeper.
Nick Pope is worth serious money, zero chance of us spending that sort of money in a keeper.
Have to say I'm not totally convinced by Meslier either. He did very well when he came in replace Casilla in the Championship and was good last season. He makes some good saves, but he is prone to a lot of mistakes also. The fact that Meslier is still young does not necessarily mean that he will automatically move to a higher level - though I hope he will. IMHO we need a good experienced Premier level goalkeeper to compete with Meslier. We tried to get Randolph from West Ham in January and I thought that was a good shout. Was disappointed that we didn't target Martinez when he was available relatively cheaply from Arsenal (I think he was on about £20,000 p.w. with Arsenal in comparison with Casilla who was on £36,000 at the time) but Villa took him instead. Assuming that Klaesson is a suitable back up at Premier level is a big risk. He did ok for the portion of a single league game that he played in against Wolves, but he's completely unproven at this level and from what I hear, his performances for the U23s have been mixed. I think we would have been in even worse trouble this season if Meslier had an injury that kept him out for several matches. We took big risks this season in not having sufficient cover up-front, in mid-field and at goalkeeper. We paid the price for two of those mistakes, but got away with the third. Meslier cannot take all the blame for the dire defensive performances of the team as a whole, but a team that conceded 79 goals in 38 games needs a really good goalkeeper to build confidence at the back.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Professor Giles wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Costy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Polkadot wrote:
Costy wrote:Nick Pope maybe? Meslier pulls off great saves at times but he has conceded a fair few goals that he should have saved or from absolute shambolic play. A more reliable keeper might be important.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Pope ends up in Newcastle, West Ham or Leicester (Schmeichel is getting old now, isn’t he?) which all probably have more attraction power than we have.

Also, Meslier have not had a perfect season but he is young and there should be every reason to believe he will continue to grow. I don’t think GK is a position where we should spend a lot of money. Maybe a old backup like Ben Foster instead? (And send Klaesson out on loan)
Not for me Klaesson stays, don't need a keeper although do rate Pope but why waste money, not a priority position.
Maybe, maybe not. Meslier has conceded a lot of poor goals this season. Much improvement needed if he's to become a reliable, top level keeper.
Nick Pope is worth serious money, zero chance of us spending that sort of money in a keeper.
Have to say I'm not totally convinced by Meslier either. He did very well when he came in replace Casilla in the Championship and was good last season. He makes some good saves, but he is prone to a lot of mistakes also. The fact that Meslier is still young does not necessarily mean that he will automatically move to a higher level - though I hope he will. IMHO we need a good experienced Premier level goalkeeper to compete with Meslier. We tried to get Randolph from West Ham in January and I thought that was a good shout. Was disappointed that we didn't target Martinez when he was available relatively cheaply from Arsenal (I think he was on about £20,000 p.w. with Arsenal in comparison with Casilla who was on £36,000 at the time) but Villa took him instead. Assuming that Klaesson is a suitable back up at Premier level is a big risk. He did ok for the portion of a single league game that he played in against Wolves, but he's completely unproven at this level and from what I hear, his performances for the U23s have been mixed. I think we would have been in even worse trouble this season if Meslier had an injury that kept him out for several matches. We took big risks this season in not having sufficient cover up-front, in mid-field and at goalkeeper. We paid the price for two of those mistakes, but got away with the third. Meslier cannot take all the blame for the dire defensive performances of the team as a whole, but a team that conceded 79 goals in 38 games needs a really good goalkeeper to build confidence at the back.
People who think Meslier is the best young keeper in the world need to have a look at Bazunu and Kelleher. He is very good but the idea that we shouldn't have players to compete with him is insane. I hate the idea that we shouldn't sign a centre half either because of Cresswell etc. It is really faulty thinking if you actually want to improve. We need Cresswell competing not being given a move up and a cosy spot without earning it. He won't thrive that way. That is why Collins is a great buy and why a few of the centre backs need to be sold. They haven't stepped up. If you don't step up and perform you should not hold a place. Players have to know that.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Illan Meslier to me has been a revelation. He is very young to be given a spot as first pick in a Premier league team. He is on a steep learning curve and, whilst he has made the odd mistakes, he has made tremendous saves countless times and earnt us points on his performances - the MoM table should reveal his importance.

You have to look at the rest of the team in front of him and the style of play employed when you think of whether he is good enough, particularly this season just closed. Not criticising anyone but the man to man marking system saw us opened up like a hot knife through butter at times, the injuries to key players, a managerial change and the times when there's been ordinary defending from players whose performances have markedly dropped off. Against all of this background IM has come on leaps and bounds. Yes there is a need for some competition for him or a quality back up for him but for me he'd be absolutely fine as a first pick in the next season thanks :D
We definitely need a close review and reconstruction of the back line especially at Left Back. Right Back has been problematical also and we really don't have the quality or settled pair in the middle of the defence.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

corkleedsmot wrote:
Professor Giles wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Costy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Polkadot wrote:

People who think Meslier is the best young keeper in the world need to have a look at Bazunu and Kelleher. He is very good but the idea that we shouldn't have players to compete with him is insane. I hate the idea that we shouldn't sign a centre half either because of Cresswell etc. It is really faulty thinking if you actually want to improve. We need Cresswell competing not being given a move up and a cosy spot without earning it. He won't thrive that way. That is why Collins is a great buy and why a few of the centre backs need to be sold. They haven't stepped up. If you don't step up and perform you should not hold a place. Players have to know that.
Where has anyone claimed Meslier is the best young keeper in the world?
Please point this out because I haven't seen it.

But he is a very good young keeper who will get better, mid 20s to early 30s is peak for a keeper.
It comes down to developing a team.

We don't need to sell CBs getting them fit so we can establish a regular defence is what is required. Many of our defeats in the season was when we had a make shift defence.
Collins is decent but unless we are going to play 3 CBs doubt we will be looking for a CB.
Cresswell is our 5th choice so until someone leaves is not in a cosy spot as you put it.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Burnely rarely played 3 CB's but the did play 5 at the back a few times towards the end. First time being against spurs i think.
Collins was in the voting for premier league player of the month in a 4. He is 21 a few weeks and already better than all our defenders . We need rid of our whole defence in my opinion. Just an opinion though. We actually had our full def3nce back and still conceded 3-4. We are just brittle in defence.
People on this site have I am pretty sure. I just think we need someone to compete with him. I lreally like Meslier in general.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

corkleedsmot wrote:
Professor Giles wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Costy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Polkadot wrote:

Meslier played more than 70 games in the Prem. Kelleher played 4 and Bazunu none. Of course he made more mistakes than them.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

I didn't say Meslier isn't good I said he is very good. What I am saying is we should have fierce competition for him. And I will say talent wise both keepers mentioned are potentially already better than him and time will show it. Meslier wouldn't get in over Allison or Ederson either so that point is moot imo. Good prem clubs wanted Kelleher and Klopp wouldn't let him go. Bazunu will be prem this season. Anyway we need a GK to compete is all I am saying. I do think a solid defence in front of Ilhan would do him the world of good too. My brain wiring would be shot if I was in his position :eh: :lolno: :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

The Chaser !
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders