Best LUFC X1 - Post Revie Era

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Best LUFC X1 - Post Revie Era

Post by guitarmark »

Just had a whatsapp chat with another forum member and it got me into this best X1 mode, post Revie era - Apologies if this has been done before - Can't have any player who was part of the Revie team, even if they palyed after Don left ie Lorimer, but can have say McKenzie as arrived after

Not sure if we state it has to be say a modern 4-2-3-1 formation or leave it open to your own format - But here goes for me

--------------Martyn
Kelly Woodgate Radebe Dorigo
------------Batty KP
---Raph McAllister Kewell
------------Viduka

I'm fairly happy with this side - Option in goal was Martyn or Robbo - then in midield McAllister, Currie or Pablo
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Best LUFC X1 - Post Revie Era

Post by SiMamu »

At 25, I'm only going to choose players I've actually seen play (albeit some of them I remember seeing more for other clubs, than for Leeds).
---------------Robinson
Kelly---White---Ferdinand---Harte
----------------Phillips
------Hernandez---Delph
Raphinha------Smith---------Kewell
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Martyn
Kelly - Radebe - Woodgate - Dorigo
Strachan - Batty - McAllister - Speed
Viduka - Yeboah

Subs
Robinson
Currie
Hasselbaink
Ferdinand
Harte
Kewell
Raphina
Phillips
Hernandez
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Meslier
Sterland - White - Woodgate - Alioski
Batty - Kalvin
Raphinha - Cantona - Kewell
Viduka

Subs
Martyn
Currie
Hasselbaink
Ferdinand
Dorigo
Strachan
McAllister
Hernandez
McKenzie
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Some great names mentioned already, could put out 3 or 4 first class teams from those lists.

One name I wish to mention is Paul Hart. Signed from Blackpool in late 1970's. 5 years at Elland Road, 191 appearances.
I cannot believe he is rated way down in 80's in the list of our all time greatest. While Hankin, Flynn, Mcenzie bunch of fakes were prancing about up front, people like Hart and Trevor Cherry were grafting away keeping us afloat. Hart was a very capable central defender and his vision & distribution 1st class, could have played a defensive midfield also.

He returned to Leeds as youth/Academy head and put together a youth team, bunch of kids by the names of, Woodgate, Harte, Smith, Kelly, Kewell, Robinson, and others all mentioned in previous selections.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Saxon wrote:Some great names mentioned already, could put out 3 or 4 first class teams from those lists.

One name I wish to mention is Paul Hart. Signed from Blackpool in late 1970's. 5 years at Elland Road, 191 appearances.
I cannot believe he is rated way down in 80's in the list of our all time greatest. While Hankin, Flynn, Mcenzie bunch of fakes were prancing about up front, people like Hart and Trevor Cherry were grafting away keeping us afloat. Hart was a very capable central defender and his vision & distribution 1st class, could have played a defensive midfield also.

He returned to Leeds as youth/Academy head and put together a youth team, bunch of kids by the names of, Woodgate, Harte, Smith, Kelly, Kewell, Robinson, and others all mentioned in previous selections.
Ray Hankin 'prancing about', I've heard it all now! :D

Seriously, I'm not sure why Hankin, Flynn or McKenzie are mentioned, all three did well and grafted for us. Hankin got injured and then put a load of weight on, his knees were shot IIRC, but he was our first 20 goals in a season striker for quite some time. McKenzie was a great player but possibly didn't quite fit in here and was sold, much to the disappointment of lots of us at the time. A majestic player IMHO but not one to chase and harry as much as some others. Flynn's major virtue was his commitment in midfield, never giving in. He was no Bremner but he was a more than decent player.

I really liked Paul Hart btw :angel:
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Maybe I was a little bit over critical in my opinions of Hankin, Flynn & Mcenzie, we are all stereo typed to 'Our' type of player, and the 3 mentioned were not a good fit for me. Having said that,I think Hankin was lazy, most of Hankins goals were the result of Joe Jordan's hard work, laying the ball off to him, pulling defenders out of position, hitting Joe's rebounds into the net. I'll stick by my opinion of Flynn, good ability and vision, unfortunately not big enough or strong enough to make an impact. I will though agree with you about Mcenzie, great skill, but his style didn't fit, more of a luxury in the team. I respect your opinions ANS, good points you make.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Saxon wrote:Maybe I was a little bit over critical in my opinions of Hankin, Flynn & Mcenzie, we are all stereo typed to 'Our' type of player, and the 3 mentioned were not a good fit for me. Having said that,I think Hankin was lazy, most of Hankins goals were the result of Joe Jordan's hard work, laying the ball off to him, pulling defenders out of position, hitting Joe's rebounds into the net. I'll stick by my opinion of Flynn, good ability and vision, unfortunately not big enough or strong enough to make an impact. I will though agree with you about Mcenzie, great skill, but his style didn't fit, more of a luxury in the team. I respect your opinions ANS, good points you make.
8-) Thanks, and back at you, just opinions isn't it after all?

I wasn't a big fan of Flynn but he tried his best, that's really all we can hope/expect of our players, if they do that then they're alright by most fans. It was quite one-dimensional with Hankin and JJ upfront, or Hankin & Hawley after Jordan left, but very effective. Just a shame I think that RH was a bit of a thug. TBF Saxon, I think he became lazy after a quite serious injury, he started really well for us.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I'm too young to remember Flynn and Hankin etc and its hard to compile a team from the Beckford to now era ........................................... without doing justice to the many players who came before.

:?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders