2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:Genuine question.

Who actually decides that a particular fee is acceptable for a player ?. Is it the Director of Football, the owners or a combination of both ?
A good question, I don't know for certain but thinking in general business terms it will be a committee type decision from the board, there'll obviously be Orta and Kinnear involved, then financial director and Radz, possibly 49ers reps too. There will be an ultimate decision maker who will take input from all parties, I would expect that person is Kinnear.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The last Waltz wrote:Not sure why there is so much dissatisfaction with Orta. He’s trying to buy for Harrods with an Asda budget.
Quite frankly I wouldn't trust Victor Orta to go grocery shopping in Asda. :roll: Doesn't look like Andrea Radrizzani undertakes any sort of performance review otherwise he'd be long gone
Keep The Faith / WAL
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Genuine question.

Who actually decides that a particular fee is acceptable for a player ?. Is it the Director of Football, the owners or a combination of both ?
A good question, I don't know for certain but thinking in general business terms it will be a committee type decision from the board, there'll obviously be Orta and Kinnear involved, then financial director and Radz, possibly 49ers reps too. There will be an ultimate decision maker who will take input from all parties, I would expect that person is Kinnear.
However it is, it looks like amateur hour and a deal done with indecent haste.
Phillips has been been knowingly undersold sadly. This will likely be followed up by paying over the odds for an incoming player as was the case in James, Rodrigo, Firpo etc. :roll:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

What concerns me further about this low fee sell on Phillips is that other ***** clubs like barca, spurs, arsenal, etc. Will smell blood and understand that they can in fact pay low fees for raphinia. Imo any offer lower than 65mil on Phillips should be answered with **** off, and we could've probably get even 80mil for a full england international who was very esteemed in the last world cup. For rapha i wouldn't take any less than 65-70 either. TBH, knowing both of them pretty well as a leeds supporter id say that Phillips should be the higher value player.

The reason why rapha sold for more is clear - forward players who score goals and create assists are more exciting, loved and noticed by fans so they sell more shirts, etc.
Factoring that I'd say they worth about the same money, and it's at least 20mil more than what man C are reportedly paying for Phillips
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

mshnd06 wrote:
blackbox2342 wrote:I'm happy to reserve judgment.

There are a myriad of factors such as:

1. We may have replacement lined up and want money to get deal done.

2. Better to have funds earlier in window than hold out and have no time for a replacement.

Ultimately if he wants to go then he has done his service at Leeds. He's 27 and deserves an opportunity to play for a club challenging at the highest level.

He has one full PL season then an injury hit season. Undoubtedly value to us is more than £42mil but objectively it's probably not terrible for a player who wanted to leave.

Let's see how the transfer window pans out and judge then.
How dare you bring such reasoned argument to this moment. I will not have my angst impeded by logic! ;)

I've seen a few people post in such a way that suggests disappointment if we target a player they don't know. The talent pool is always growing and no one is ever going to be completely familiar with every nook and cranny. I'd guess many of us didn't have much of an idea of the kind of player we were getting with Raphinha just a couple of years ago. Camara is one that was cited and from what I've seen, and read, and analyzed I'd put his ceiling higher than Kal's even.

Cork, I appreciate your study and perspective. I'd like to offer a counter point, and one likely biased by my allegiance. While Camara is who we should be targeting, I believe Adams would be a better target than Berge (of course, qualified by the obligatory "provided we don't overpay). The reason he was deemed surplus to requirements at Leipzig was his fitness, which is also a problem for Berge. Adams is the superior athlete and defensive presence while Berge is superior technically. Adams has the added benefit of being familiar with Marsch. Adams can likely be had for 15m usd. He isn't needed by Leipzig but they may know that Marsch wants him. I doubt any bump in price because of that will be significant and may be offset by further penetration into the American market. Berge's Premier League familiarity is a plus but would also result in the domestic tax. We have some mild degree of excitement for Aaronson. Adams, when healthy, has been more impactful over his career while costly likely half as much (albeit older by a couple of years.

Of course, this is just my highly suspect analysis
I was in a blind rage yesterday after I saw the price :D
I don't think there is much between Adams and Berge either way. Adams may even be better overall if you were building a team from scratch ? I don't mind him as a player at all.
My preference is based on a team that covers a hell of a lot of ground already but lacks quality on the ball. Berge is no slouch covering ground either. I think Berge improves this team more from that angle. Berge offers more in both boxes another area we lack in and Marsch does love a set piece. But I don't want either because I agree on Camara completely and that is why I will be underwhelmed by both Adams and Berge and especially so after seeing Kalvins price because now we have to get his replacement perfect :lol:

I think Adams for $15 mill is great business but Orta will probably pay 20 million sterling minimum and probably more. These are huge sales for our best players and I really feel we could get 2-3 quality players for each sale that really improve us a lot. I am just very worried about what I am seeing in all honesty. What we need : Camara, Gakpo, CDK.
What Orta will prob get : Adams, Adama Traore and Hamed Traore from Sassuola. (their ex coach De Zerbi imo was the perfect Bielsa successor)

I will never trust our recruitment when Orta is here. I don't even trust him as a person to be perfectly honest. You only have to read about his Boro days where it seemed all about him maintaining his job and position to feel a similar way. That would be "OK" in my eyes if I felt he was at least competent at his job. I think he is bad at his job and I think he threw Bielsa under the bus. I just look and really feel this team is degenerating and I feel he is largely to blame. At best it is not improving enough to stay in the league safely. Radz has plenty of credit in the bank and has been a hugely positive influence on the club but it just may be his time to move on and I have time for Marsch although Bielsa still hurts, he just needs to not give any more interviews for about 6 months :D

I am actually gung ho on the American links and I posted a while back saying it is very smart especially if we could become "Americas team". I think it is great long term to have big US interest for the Leeds brand. You only have to look at the value of the brands there to understand. I do think it has diminishing returns at some point though :lol:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A good read on our potential new signing

http://www.secretscout.co.uk/darko-gyab ... anchester/
Winner of the Europa League
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
The last Waltz wrote:Not sure why there is so much dissatisfaction with Orta. He’s trying to buy for Harrods with an Asda budget.
Quite frankly I wouldn't trust Victor Orta to go grocery shopping in Asda. :roll: Doesn't look like Andrea Radrizzani undertakes any sort of performance review otherwise he'd be long gone
We have the worst DoF in the Premier league and it sickens me to say it. He is a decent championship level DoF who did well there because he had the best coach in the world and a big budget. He will have spent 250 million at least by the end of this window since we entered the prem. People need to wake up to how bad this guy is at his job. He needs to go after this window. I suspect the Americans will gut him soon enough. He is like watching a car crash in slow motion. Orta needed the chop not Bielsa but a judge isn't going to convict himself.
selbydave
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by selbydave »

i know my opinion might not be the most popular but here goes
if city were the only team wanting KP then leeds hands were tied, yes we could have held out for a better offer but if that doesnt come then leeds risk getting far less in jan or next summer
from citys point of view they are paying £45m for a squad player for them and one that missed a lot of games last season too so some of their fans might feel they have overpaid
Kalvin has the ability to thrive in a better team and who knows what sort of performances we might have got from him if we had denied him his dream move

as for the new guy only time will tell but we seem to have bought wisely for the u23s and be the next best thing to challenge for the first team
who ever pulls on the shirt next season needs our support and even players that supporters say they dont want might be perfect under our system
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

selbydave wrote:i know my opinion might not be the most popular but here goes
if city were the only team wanting KP then leeds hands were tied, yes we could have held out for a better offer but if that doesnt come then leeds risk getting far less in jan or next summer
from citys point of view they are paying £45m for a squad player for them and one that missed a lot of games last season too so some of their fans might feel they have overpaid
Kalvin has the ability to thrive in a better team and who knows what sort of performances we might have got from him if we had denied him his dream move

as for the new guy only time will tell but we seem to have bought wisely for the u23s and be the next best thing to challenge for the first team
who ever pulls on the shirt next season needs our support and even players that supporters say they dont want might be perfect under our system
Good post SD a realistic view in my opinion.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

selbydave wrote:i know my opinion might not be the most popular but here goes

It is really lousy of our board linking this kid to this high profile move. I feel bad for him in all honesty. The kid will have my full support as will all the new signings for that matter. I'm never wishing failure on anyone at Leeds. I have no clue will he work out but he will need a big character now won't he? :D