Question re Billy Bremner v Hibs 1973/74

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Question re Billy Bremner v Hibs 1973/74

Post by NottinghamWhite »

No he's another one. I've met....

Paul Reaney
Jack Charlton
Norman Hunter
Peter Lorimer
Allan Clarke
Mick Jones
Jonny Giles
Eddie Gray
Mike O'Grady
Mick Bates
Alan Peacock
David Harvey
Terry Yorath
Paul Madeley
Cyril Partridge
Don Revie

and Mr Jim Lister ;)

I'm certain I've missed a couple.
Winner of the Europa League
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

NottinghamWhite wrote:He did indeed. Difference was even though he was 24 when he joined and went on to make 399 appearances. One of the few Revie Boys I've never met.
Flipping heck, I just spat my beer across the front room!!!! Thought you meant Ellam played 399 games for Leeds, then I realised you were referring to Cherry. :D
Gray27
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Gray27 »

:)

NW, can I ask if you got chance to talk to Mike O'Grady about his time at Leeds?
I have always wondered why he left shortly after the 1969 title win.
He was heavily involved in the team for several seasons then, bang: dropped and sold.
Was it simply because Eddie Gray and/or Peter Lorimer were so much better?
Or was it because, as I seem to recall I read somewhere, he liked the single life too much, and Don Revie wanted his players to settle down?

And, this is for anyone who saw Mike O'Grady play, how good was he?
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Malcolm Stark wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:He did indeed. Difference was even though he was 24 when he joined and went on to make 399 appearances. One of the few Revie Boys I've never met.
Flipping heck, I just spat my beer across the front room!!!! Thought you meant Ellam played 399 games for Leeds, then I realised you were referring to Cherry. :D
I did exactly the same with my coffee this morning!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Gray27 wrote::)

NW, can I ask if you got chance to talk to Mike O'Grady about his time at Leeds?
He was heavily involved in the team for several seasons then, bang: dropped and sold.
Or was it because, as I seem to recall I read somewhere, he liked the single life too much, and Don Revie wanted his players to settle down?

O'Grady was a decent player but as far as I know moved on to get regular 1st team football. As you say he wasn't in Lorimer or Grays class but a good squad member like many others at that time like Hibbitt, Bates, Yorath & Bellfitt. Mike I'm pretty certain ended up as a Steward at a Leeds Golf Club, hopefully someone can confirm that. He loved his time at Leeds and was really happy to attend the Don Revie Statue events. I have the book Where Are They Now and have had it signed by a lot of players and when I first met Mike I produced the said book only to find he wasn't in it :o It's my understanding that the 2nd edition does now feature him.

As an aside Mikes Grandfather was Walter Tranter who was one of the first professional players in the UK. He also was one of the first ever West Ham sides.
Gray27
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Gray27 »

Great info, NW, thank you. :thumbup:
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Gray27 wrote::)

O'Grady was a decent player but as far as I know moved on to get regular 1st team football. As you say he wasn't in Lorimer or Grays class but a good squad member like many others at that time like Hibbitt, Bates, Yorath & Bellfitt. Mike I'm pretty certain ended up as a Steward at a Leeds Golf Club, hopefully someone can confirm that. He loved his time at Leeds and was really happy to attend the Don Revie Statue events. I have the book Where Are They Now and have had it signed by a lot of players and when I first met Mike I produced the said book only to find he wasn't in it :o It's my understanding that the 2nd edition does now feature him.

As an aside Mikes Grandfather was Walter Tranter who was one of the first professional players in the UK. He also was one of the first ever West Ham sides.
Yeah, as you say, O'Grady wouldn't get into the Leeds side on a regular basis, especially after Sniffer signed. Also, Jimmy Greenhoff was allowed to go, which seems incredible looking back. However, I can never understand why Terry Hibbitt wasn't used as sub for the 70 Final. The fella had skills most First Division wingers could only dream of, and was surely a more dynamic option than Mick Bates.

I've watched both of those games several times, and at no stage did Revie ever look likely to use Bates, wrapped up in a big warm blanket, and neither did Bates appear to be straining at the leash to get on. It all appears a bit cosy. It bugs me that Chelsea used Marvin Hinton in both games, replacing Osgood and Chopper Harris in extra-time, while Don Revie didn't have any plan B if anything happened, like Eddie Gray being nobbled at Old Trafford. He wasn't the only target of sharp tackling, you have to add.

I just think, that although that Final made legends of that Chelsea team, Leeds United, easily the superior of the two teams over the four hours of football, were let down a little by Revie's sub selection.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Jimmy Greenhoff was my boyhood hero, I saw him score a brace at Roker Park in a 2-0 win back in 1967, my very first game watching Leeds. Was gutted when he was sold the following year, he was sold to Birmingham City & went on to really make his name at Stoke, where I believe he still lives & Scum. During his last season, 1968, Jimmy won a League Cup winners medal & a ICFC winners medal. I actually went to watch Rochdale back in the early 80's as Jimmy was player manager there for awhile in the hope of getting his autograph, I failed miserably. A little known piece of trivia visa vie the 1968 League Cup Final, the question Is which 2 brothers were on the pitch that day. The answer the Greenhoffs, Jimmy playing for Leeds & Brian was a ball boy :D

Terry Hibbitt was always a bit player at Leeds & was probably better known as a Newcastle & Birmingham player. Don't forget we had a team of internationals back in his day, mind I often used to think that the fee that we got for him £30k wasn't enough and I think Terry proved me right over time.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

After typing this I thought I'd share something I found on the net that Jimmy said during his time at Stoke.

All I wanted to do was entertain the wonderful fans.Make them go away thinking "God that was brilliant. They were a big part of my game, so warm." Jimmy became an idol at Stoke, second only to Stanley Matthews, and the feeling was mutual"
Think the above speaks volumes of the man.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Met O'Grady at a Don Revie Statue dinner and he came across as being a really nice chap.
Quiet, unassuming, modest and extremely appreciative that people were coming up to him, to chat about those days and get his autograph etc.
Great fella! :thumbup: