Goals against

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Goals against

Post by SiMamu »

Aces wrote:I quite like Pearce, I think he gives everything each game. My issue with him, is he isn't that quality experienced defender that we need to pair up with the others. To me if we got say, a James Collins, a CB of his ilk, three of our current CBs could play along side a player like him.
Collins isn't really quick enough to cover for Pearce.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

SiMamu wrote:
Aces wrote:I quite like Pearce, I think he gives everything each game. My issue with him, is he isn't that quality experienced defender that we need to pair up with the others. To me if we got say, a James Collins, a CB of his ilk, three of our current CBs could play along side a player like him.
Pace isn't everything, a skilled positional sensed defender can do just as good a job as a quick one. We need someone to Marshall them, to get them working together as a tight unit. Championship footy isn't the quickest anyway.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

Aces wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
Pace isn't everything, a skilled positional sensed defender can do just as good a job as a quick one. We need someone to Marshall them, to get them working together as a tight unit. Championship footy isn't the quickest anyway.
I was the defensive organizer and communicator on my team. I was never the quickest or fastest, but I played like you described and made my team better. But I was also a liability in situations where individual skill was paramount. We want someone who can do both organize and win the individual battles. That's what the best defenders do.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Mellor wrote:Of all the (playing) problems at lufc the one which has concerned me the most is our inability to defend. It's not a new problem, no recent manager has resolved it consistently. It's odd cos decent defenders don't cost pots of money although with Peltier and Kenny in the side, plus Pearce from the Prem we must have had the most expensive back line in the league.

In the expectations for 14/15 thread I said my expectation was that we would learn to defend. This doesn't involve spending millions but it does require the manager/coach to put defending at the top of his list of priorities. For too long defending has been neglected IMO. Unrest in the boardroom is no excuse for lack of shape on the pitch, for failing to defend as a team and for schoolboy errors.

Looking around Europe in the paper this morning I see that the champions in Spain, France and Italy all had the best goals against column, no doubt Germany was the same (no table in my paper).

RL fans will also know that Rhinos are top of the league because their points against column is (far) superior to their rivals.

I don't rate Pearce or Lees particularly but what I really dislike is the poor coaching which leads to our poor defending. I'm hoping Cellino being Italian will sort things out. Turning ER into a fortress starts with clean sheets. If we continue as we are we will be marooned in the championship forever.

Good defending starts with good discipline, concentration, organisation, all things which can be put in place on the training ground. Perhaps that will happen in May. It certainly has to happen if we are to have a good season.

Defending - where it all starts for me.
Don't worry anymore mate, the Italians are in town :thumbup: DEFENDING is their middle name, it's an in-built mentality & a big part of the latin game. I expect to see a massive improvement in this department next season.....Cellino is King :lol: