Smith and Cantona.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Smith and Cantona.

Post by Independent Republic »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
isrodger wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
isrodger wrote: Posive pal, Played for us and Oldham at right back, watch him take a free kick for scum, ... Right footed. At the time mel sterland was out for the season, although, I think it was more down to him being traumatised, by lee sharp, Giggs and kanchelkis.
Just typed 'Denis Irwin right back' and, blimey, you're right. He was a right back until the 91/92 season, when he switched to left back.
He was always a right back at Leeds and Oldham, but he progressed so much as a player that he filled in at left back for them. Great player, one of the worst transfers from Leeds ever made, Billy Bremner I think it was, just didn't rate him. Or Linighan for that matter, and Tommy Wright and Andy Ritchie too to a lesser extent.

IMHO the banners on here are to celebrate former players. And with all due respect to them (there's Ferdinand too, his exit hurt as well), players who went to man u kind of nullify any celebrating don't they? :D

BTW there was a chance we were going to get Paul Parker when cantona went there, but Wilko's negotiating position was that weak I think he had to make do with selling cantona for a measly amount of money.
In fairness to Billy I am not sure anybody bar eddie gray really rated Irwin (tinkerbell) and Linighan. I couldn't believe he got rid of Scott Sellers. Somebody is going to shoot me down (apologies in advance) but Billy was arguably our worst manager.
You wouldn't get me arguing it because I completely disagree with that idea :D I do see where the argument comes from though. Allan Clarke took us down before Billy took over from Eddie, and we got to the FAC semi and PO final under BB. For me, in my lifetime, the worst by far is Wise and Jimmy Adamson isn't far away either. Clough and Stein don't qualify as they were only here on holiday :evil:

Have to agree with ONS. Sniffer (fro m memory) was poor and even wasted £930k on OPeter Barnes! Billy nearly brought us success in the FAC only for Brendan Ormsby to present Coventry with a gift goal in the sem, and Peter Shirtliff (I think) scored too late, late goals in ET of the playoffs to psychologically ruin me for a few ywears. I think Venables was another useless codger. He lost us Olivier Dacourt bu twe got Max Clifford in return. Wise? The less said the better. Have to say NW doesn't rate high on my list either.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

George Graham probably turned the club around during a time we just needed to be a solid unit. But god was the football dour...
cadillacjukebox
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by cadillacjukebox »

I remember Clarke being poor, and Bremner bringing through youth and doing well. Eddie Gray was great to watch, unless you enjoy great defending, but Adamson was one of the worst for sure.

I disagree with Wise, not because I think he was good, but in the -15 season, his simplistic "everyone's out to get us" policy worked wonders.

In terms of players we let go, I also remember a super quick left back (Mike Phelan?) being gifted to Man City about the same time we let Irwin go.

*goes and puts tin hat on re: Wise comments*
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

We were in the 3rd dividion under Wise though, like the everyone hates us attitude was a season too late, the poison bloody dwarf that he was is :lol:
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Player banners: Nigel Martyn
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mapperleywhite wrote:Player banners: Nigel Martyn
Great call :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

cadillacjukebox wrote:I remember Clarke being poor, and Bremner bringing through youth and doing well. Eddie Gray was great to watch, unless you enjoy great defending, but Adamson was one of the worst for sure.

I disagree with Wise, not because I think he was good, but in the -15 season, his simplistic "everyone's out to get us" policy worked wonders.

In terms of players we let go, I also remember a super quick left back (Mike Phelan?) being gifted to Man City about the same time we let Irwin go.

*goes and puts tin hat on re: Wise comments*

My issue with Bremner was he let 4 £1m plus players leave for less than £100k in total. Irwin, Phealan, Linighan, Sellers - He also got rid of Andy Richie & tommy Wright - who cut it in the first division with oldham. The only kid he sort of brought through was Batty. Yes we got to the play offs and Semi. But he spent big relative to practically all clubs in the second division - he Sold & then bought back Baird & Had the proceeds of the Snodin Sale - £800k. I don't think he made one really good signing - rememeber Caswell & David Harle!!!

He destroyed eddies young team. Eddie had come in as a bit of a pureist - but his last two signings were all about toughening up the side, Baird & Snodin. His midfield of Lorimer, Snodin, sheriden & Sellers would walk this division - he was sacked a year too soon & that's why for me its Sorry Billy legend as a player; but as a manger a LEG END.
Deleted User 130

But still not the worst Leeds manager :D
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:But still not the worst Leeds manager :D
I am not sure wise just fell out with Sullivan & Derry, and yes the team was very poor, but I was impressed how him & poyet turned us round in minus15 season. He also brought on beckford, and bought Johnson. It's a hard call. Adamson, Blackwell, Wise, Bremner, Reid, venables ..... But I did believe Alan when he said "if I don't make us european champions in 4 yrs he would consider himself a failure" - classic
Deleted User 130

Wise got us relegated, and Sullivan was by far one of the best keepers we had for years. Ankergren became erratic and in all honesty, I said it at the time too, I believed Sullivan in goal would have preserved our Championship status. True, Wise wan't to blame for the points deductions but so what? Bremner had very little money at his disposal, neither did Eddie. I'm not trying to sing the praises of any manager who wasn't very good, but blimey, Wise to me is by far the worst just on quality of play and the fact he took us to our lowest ever point in history.