Statement from LUST

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Statement from LUST

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Statement from the Chairman
Dear Trust Member,

Since October 2009 it has been my privilege to serve as Chairman of the Leeds United Supporters Trust, working with some of the most honest and genuine people I have ever met. It has been a tremendous journey, and in more ways than I could have ever imagined the experience has mirrored the ups and downs that as Leeds fans we understand better than most. I have always done my best to voice the opinions of our members to the club, to the media and to anyone who has had an interest in Leeds United, and I have done so with purpose and conviction. I hope that the members of LUST appreciate that.

Back in 2009 the Trust had 224 members, was disregarded and discredited by the club’s owner Ken Bates, and while it had good people on its board it didn’t feel like it was realising its potential. It was with that in mind that I joined and became Chairman, with a refreshed board and a determination to rebuild the Trust into a strong, credible organisation fit for the purpose of tackling the circumstances that the club and its supporters found themselves in. I am very proud to have been part of the team that built the Trust into what it is today: an organisation with a membership of over 9,000 and the ears of the local authority, local MPs, central government and the media, but most importantly with the ear of the club.

We have achieved everything we set out to achieve and more. As a board our members could have asked little more of us, and as Chairman I couldn’t have hoped for more than we have achieved. In this respect I feel that my journey has come full circle and that now is as good a time as any to stand down, take a rest and hand the stewardship of one of the largest and most respected supporters’ trusts, not only in the UK but across Europe and the world, to someone who can continue to raise its profile, serve the best interests of its members and work with a new owner. The Trust faces new challenges, and having represented our members under two former owners to the very best of my ability I feel I can stand tall and proud of my efforts, and hand over the job to someone else.

To my fellow board members I would like to express my sincere thanks for all of the time, the effort, the hard work and the dedication you have shown and given freely. It has not always been easy - we have tested each other’s patience at times, and the differences in opinion have often been as great as the results we have achieved. But quite simply I could not have wished for better people to support me and serve our members than all of you who have served on the board with me for the last near-on five years. My thanks to you all.

To our members, who in their thousands have given us support, it has been an honour to serve you. I have not always agreed with the mandate you have asked us to follow, and I have had strong reservations about some of the opinions you have asked us to voice on your behalf, but the purpose of the Trust is to give you a voice - one voice, your voice - and I have always tried to make sure my personal opinions have not deterred me from making your opinions the priority and making sure they are heard. For giving me the opportunity to do that, and for giving me the kind of support that has been a source of great strength to me, I will always be so very grateful. You truly are the best supporters in the world.

In many respects I got a lot more than I bargained for when I came to the chair. I knew it would be difficult, I knew that with my head above the parapet I would get shot at, and I expected to be the subject of a fair amount of personal attention, but I had no idea how much my family would be affected by it all. Had I realised the extent of the suffering I would be putting them through I probably would not have taken on the role at all. To my soul-mate, Kirsty, who has suffered more than most and paid a price for my ambition and for the ambitions of thousands of Leeds fans, I can only say thank you for supporting me all the way through this. Nothing can ever repay the debt of gratitude you are owed. To my kids, who have lost out on my time, my attention and often my patience while I struggled to serve our larger Leeds United family, I am forever grateful to you and love you all dearly.

To those who have sniped, snarled, lied and judged from afar, and who will probably take a great deal of pleasure from my decision to stand down, I hope one day you have the pleasure of realising what ‘Marching On Together’ actually means. The Trust will go from strength to strength long after Gary Cooper is gone and will continue to represent its members - Leeds fans - which is a source of great comfort to me.

Thank you to all who have supported me. I will always be proud to be a LUST member, and will continue to fulfil the duties of Chairman and to support the board in any way I can, but will stand down at this year’s AGM satisfied that I have achieved all I set out to do, knowing that LUST is in great shape and ready to face new challenges.
It really has been emotional.

Gary Cooper
Proud ‘moron’ and ‘dissident’
MOT
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Statement from LUST

Personally a big thank you from me Gary for everything you have done for us the fans at the cost of some many personal issues. Enjoy the rest of your life & now put your family first.

MOT
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Very well said Phil, Gary is a genuinely good chap and one day the truth will out about the disgusting treatment and abuse he has had to suffer, including possibly from KB and GFH.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

The Trust is now a respected voice of the Leeds United supporters thanks to his work.

Good luck Gary and I think I can speak for LUFCTALK in saying thank you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Once we have a few replies I'll invite Gary over ;) Every Leeds fan owes him & his shoes will be hard to fill.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

:thumbup: to everything above. Have a rest and enjoy your family time now.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Sheepy wrote:The Trust is now a respected voice of the Leeds United supporters thanks to his work.

Good luck Gary and I think I can speak for LUFCTALK in saying thank you.
Yes, I hope you're right G. I am not referring to regulars on here but one of the most stressful things that has occurred as a result of Gary's involvement and people being fooled by Bates' and even GFH's 'inaccurate' attacks on him/his family (LIES in other words) is how easily some Leeds fans turned against Gary AND aimed abuse at him.
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by +15 »

All the best Gary, sit back and enjoy having the family around you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks for all you have done big man, that statement is clearly from the heart just like your love of Leeds United.

Cheers mate, and all the best.

Kev
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
shopo200558
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by shopo200558 »

A big thank you to Gary Cooper for all the hard work and time he's put in on our behalf, I have never met him but would gladly buy him a pint if the opportunity arose, enjoy more time with your smaller family.
MOT