Smith and Cantona.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The Don
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: Smith and Cantona.

Post by The Don »

Cantona deserves to be hated, Smith does not. I still have a soft spot for Alan, if it wasn't for insolvency and relegation he would still be playing for us I expect.

I'm fairly convinced Dennis Wise did his best to relegate us on Ken Bates orders. What manager would set out a team specifically to lose?! It goes against the very principles of sport. Ex-Chelsea so what do you expect, he is for me the worst Leeds manager of all time.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Wise got us relegated, and Sullivan was by far one of the best keepers we had for years. Ankergren became erratic and in all honesty, I said it at the time too, I believed Sullivan in goal would have preserved our Championship status. True, Wise wan't to blame for the points deductions but so what? Bremner had very little money at his disposal, neither did Eddie. I'm not trying to sing the praises of any manager who wasn't very good, but blimey, Wise to me is by far the worst just on quality of play and the fact he took us to our lowest ever point in history.
I am not being pedantic but relatively Bremner had big money to spend.... However judging by your avator, I am not going to win our debate, I gracefully concede.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Bepedantic if you want my friend, the thing that you seem to be doing also is ignoring the fact that Wise took us to our lowest ever point, and he will not have been short of funds from his close friend Bates. BB got us to the play off final and to the FAC semi. He wasn't even my favourite player, the avatar is one of my fave pictures but it has nothing to do with this debate :D
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Bepedantic if you want my friend, the thing that you seem to be doing also is ignoring the fact that Wise took us to our lowest ever point, and he will not have been short of funds from his close friend Bates. BB got us to the play off final and to the FAC semi. He wasn't even my favourite player, the avatar is one of my fave pictures but it has nothing to do with this debate :D
You have a very good point, which I cant really argue with. What good days out they were. I remember the initial second leg at elland road, billy gave bob Taylor his debut, what an atmosphere. TheN to brum, feck me, how could shez put us up with 6 mins to go and we lose within time.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

When I look at Charltons winning goal I am still gobsmacked by how static our defence was when Peter Shirtlifter headed in their winner. Seems a long time ago now - due to the fact it is.
Deleted User 130

Sheepy wrote:When I look at Charltons winning goal I am still gobsmacked by how static our defence was when Peter Shirtlifter headed in their winner. Seems a long time ago now - due to the fact it is.
Was reliably informed that John Pearson was blamed for both goals for not doing his marking job.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
Sheepy wrote:When I look at Charltons winning goal I am still gobsmacked by how static our defence was when Peter Shirtlifter headed in their winner. Seems a long time ago now - due to the fact it is.
Was reliably informed that John Pearson was blamed for both goals for not doing his marking job.
You know what I woud have put money on him being a wilko signing ... About 7 ft and couldnt head the ball.....Another cross against billy I'm afraid ONS !!!
Deleted User 130

Ha, to be fair we signed him for his aerial ability in attack, and he served us well in that respect :D
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I'm saddened nobody has picked up on my brilliant and extremely funny pun on his name. (Shirtliff, not Pearson)
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

The Don wrote:Cantona deserves to be hated, Smith does not. I still have a soft spot for Alan, if it wasn't for insolvency and relegation he would still be playing for us I expect.

I'm fairly convinced Dennis Wise did his best to relegate us on Ken Bates orders. What manager would set out a team specifically to lose?! It goes against the very principles of sport. Ex-Chelsea so what do you expect, he is for me the worst Leeds manager of all time.
What did Cantona do for us to hate him? He was instrumental in us winning the league then Wilko sold him to Man utd. Hates a strong word, I thought I hated Thatcher for being out of work a year because of her in the 80s but when she died I had no hate of her at all. I can't see what he did to be hated, if banging someone else's missus, allegedly is the reason, I think it's bollox IMO.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT