Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Scott Wootton signs from Man Utd

Post by SMorientes »

Bogdan wrote:There isn't even a need for analogy, that gets asked in football every single weekend, along the lines of "how big was that win"? On Soccer AM they had Ledley King last weekend and after an introduction of "you asked not to ask you about Bale's transfer", Chamberlain said "but we will ask you, how good is he?", with the kind of intonation that made it obviously rhetorical. Cheers for that, I can see how this is going to be insightful and gripping!
Yeah I saw the interview, it was quite painful at times, Ledley seemed a bit awkward, especially at moments when Bale was brought up.
At least if you ask how big a win was you can answer by contextualising it and saying: 'well it puts us up to xth place in the league', which could be information some people listening mightn't know, rather than: 'it was so important I might as well have died had we lost'
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I really hate that question 'just how good is he' it just prompts a bout of brown nosing. I would much prefer to listen to an interview where the presenter references Gary Connolly and then asks 'just how number 2s is he?'

Now that would be worth listening to.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

On the topic of interviews, do you think the FA and many fans are to blame?
If players and managers say how they really feel, or act in the heat of the moment they get ridiculed, fined, even banned. I would love to hear managers saying how poor the Ref was, or how they fancy their team to stuff Man utd because they are crap. To hear players after games saying how they enjoyed running rings around a piss poor team, would be entertaining and reflect how the player really felt.
But you only have to see the reaction to McCormack's goal celebration to get the gist why it's better for the persons to act in a robotic "professional" script like manner.

Unfortunately it's in their best interest for players and managers to use safe standard answers, towards the safe standard questions that interviewers now know they will only get the answers to.

The days of Kevin Keegan rants and Vinnie Jones having players in his pockets seem long gone.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

SMorientes wrote:
Bogdan wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Nic wrote:Just watched the Wootton press conference - he says the right things "big club" "heritage" "passionate fans"
:yawn:

Wouldn't it be nice for a new player to say something a bit different every now and then :)
"small club", "tinpot", "rubbish fans"? :D

I know what you mean though, and when someone coming from Liverpool and Manchester says it, you wonder how impressed is he really. :) If he plays like he means it though, we won't care. :)
I suppose coming from such clubs he might appreciate it more. Being told he's not going to cut it at old trafford so he'll be moving on, he'd've been thinking, damn I'm gonna have to take a massive step down to a little Championship club, and then he gets lucky and actually gets to take a step up instead. :D But he probably does appreciate still being at a big club, not having to move to Yeovil or something. It'd be like living in a big city all your life and then having to move to a tiny provincial town where nowt happens.

I do genuinely agree with Barlow Boy though, I'd love to hear a player say summat different. Trouble is; the question's so loaded, there's only one answer and the fans just want to hear it given with a degree of sincerity.
It's the equivalent to when they ask contestants on reality shows (sorry for the analogy) 'what would it mean to you to win?' and every person they've ever asked in 20 years of this format of television has replied along the lines of 'it'd mean the world to me'. It frustrates the hell out of me, I wish someone would turn round and say something different, but what else could they say? 'it'd be nice but not winning wouldn't be the end of the world...' What's the point in even asking the question? But viewers / fans just lap it up all the same.

Rant over :evil: unless someone engages me, then I could go on for hours still.
Its not always the case - did you see the interview Tonge gave when he was signed. To paraphrase it was all about what security it gave him and what the club could do for him rather than what he was adding to the club. Wootton is obviously aware of the rivalry and that he will face a hard time by some fans, so he does seem to be coming here aware that he's got another chance and needs to impress not blow it, so I do think he will try because he wants to be a first team regular and should know its not automatic (despite the areas we are lacking in that he can fill)
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Nic wrote:Just watched the Wootton press conference - he says the right things "big club" "heritage" "passionate fans"
:yawn:

Wouldn't it be nice for a new player to say something a bit different every now and then :)
Yes agree totally with this sentiment. It applies to most of the statements on the OS.

OS: "We're going out against 'xyz united' for 3 points"
Alternative: "We're pretty rubbish at the moment and we expect to lose"

Alternative: "xyz player grew up hating Leeds, but his agent persuaded him that the night life is pretty good, and in any case, he needs his % to enhance his cash flow"

OS: "McD says 'xyz united' are tough opposition and will give us a hard game"
Alternative: "McD says 'xyz united' are pretty rubbish really - they're bottom of the league after all - and we'll easily pick up the 3 points"

I could go on but will refrain for now (hopefully)
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

What I really like about this signing is that it creates competition. We now have three center backs, all of whom are good, and yet only two will start (until there is an injury, anyway). These three are going to be fighting for a place, and that will make them better players, harder workers, and make us a better team.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

USA for Leeds wrote:What I really like about this signing is that it creates competition. We now have three center backs, all of whom are good, and yet only two will start (until there is an injury, anyway). These three are going to be fighting for a place, and that will make them better players, harder workers, and make us a better team.

The only problem is that two out of the three can't win a header inside the six yard box. (That's assuming the new boy can) :D
I once played against Don Revie.