An idea stolen from elsewhere

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: An idea stolen from elsewhere

Post by johnh »

Phi

No, not Dom Matteo. I went in the YEP website and found the name - Ormsby (who he?) :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Surely there are many different ways of being regarded a 'legend', with time a club and number of appearances just a couple of them. I'm sure the keeper who scored in the last minute to keep carlisle up is regarded as a legend for that one act, but I don't think he played that many games for them. For impact on the clubs fortunes I would say Howard wilkinson and gordon strachan are legends, for longevity and appearances Gary kelly is, for his amazing goals yeboah could be considered, and for one off memorable moments Carl shutt and dom matteo will always be remembered for their goals in the nou camp and the san siro. There's probably other examples, I suppose it depends on each individuals perception of legendary
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Post revie candidates for me currie, strachen, batty, radabe. Others who deserve a mention, sheriden, mccallister, smith, martyn, whilst Dorigo & aurther graham were top players, and i guess gary kelly desrves a mention given the lenght of time he stayed with us.
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

It would probably be going over the top to call him a legend, but for me Lee Chapman played a pivotal role in the latter half of the 1989-90 season, and subsequent promotion, after eight disastrous years in the wilderness (those eight years seemed to last forever and yet now we have been nine years and counting out of the top flight), followed by success in the top flight and winning the title two years later.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought is was referring to Aces nicking my avatar from the old forum :shock: :D
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

It's hard to define the parameters to qualify as a legend. For me its players who, over an extended period of time did played memorably and/or entertained us.

Can't really add to the names already mentioned post Revie, but I'd certainly say Tony Currie, Nigel Martyn, Tony Dorigo, Lucas Radebe, Tony Yeboah and John Sheridan. The '91/92 title winning midfield of Strachan, Batty, McCallister and Speed is the stuff of legends.

I always enjoyed watching Ian Snodin play, but that's maybe only because he illuminated the dark times when BB was manager. Paul Hart always put a shift in and was very steady.

Maybe we could start a thread of anti-legends: first punt Paul Okon :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

MOT1964 wrote:It would probably be going over the top to call him a legend, but for me Lee Chapman played a pivotal role in the latter half of the 1989-90 season
One recollection is that Chapman was quoted as saying he hated Leeds, so thanks for the goals but you can't be a legend........
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

As others have said, the word 'Legend' is vastly overused in Society in general today, not just in football, IMO.
Also, each of us may well have a different definition/set of criteria, that mean someone is a legend in our eyes?
For me, post Don Revie era legends would be Strachan & Sgt Wilko, for delivering promotion and First Division title.
Other possibles/maybes would be Kelly, Radebe, Viduka, Currie, Sheridan?
Might have missed one or two others, but hey........... :thumbup:

MOT.
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

Pretty much by definition a club legend is a player who is still revered many years later, about whom future generations, who never saw them play, know all about. Having only seen from early 90s onwards myself, I can say there aren't really any players post revie era that fit that bill until the side that won the league in 92, especially that midfield 4. After that I agree about radebe, his name will still be sung and known for many years and generations of fans. Yeboah's a possibility because of how iconic those goals have become. Martyn because he's in the greatest all time XI. After that noone really, Kelly is on lists of all time most appearances but that's it.

Much as many of you will not enjoy hearing this, younger members are better able to tell you who qualifies as a legend since they have less biased views and can tell you which players they know all about through virtue of their status rather than having to look them up or owt. Revie and Bremner and Charles are the extremes, can't go to Elland road without seeing them everywhere. Hunter, Clarke, Charlton, Lorimer, Giles and Gray are other ones which everyone knows about since being a young fan. Others are perhaps not as 'legendary' as those who watched them play might wish. Feel free to shoot me down or disagree :)
Last edited by SMorientes on 26 Aug 2013, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Deleted User 1076

Post by Deleted User 1076 »

Vinnie Jones
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

I can't believe no one has added Steve Morrison yet!