An idea stolen from elsewhere

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Maplewhite
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: An idea stolen from elsewhere

Post by Maplewhite »

Leeds United catering service have a legend - Tomas Brolin.
The generation that doesn't study history has no past nor a future
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

Pretty shocked the name Gary Kelly hasnt come up here to be honest.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

jjrgreeney wrote:Pretty shocked the name Gary Kelly hasnt come up here to be honest.
:?: been mentioned 4 times already!
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
jjrgreeney
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by jjrgreeney »

SMorientes wrote:
jjrgreeney wrote:Pretty shocked the name Gary Kelly hasnt come up here to be honest.
:?: been mentioned 4 times already!
haha i realised after i posted it and read back that he had been mentioned :clap:

Players like Radebe, Kelly, Bremner and a few others would class as legends to me purely down to not on how many games they have played but when they did play for us everything was on the line blood sweat and tears and they gave everything for the badge.
Football is my religion and Elland Road is my church.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

SMorientes wrote:Pretty much by definition a club legend is a player who is still revered many years later, about whom future generations, who never saw them play, know all about. Having only seen from early 90s onwards myself, I can say there aren't really any players post revie era that fit that bill until the side that won the league in 92, especially that midfield 4. After that I agree about radebe, his name will still be sung and known for many years and generations of fans. Yeboah's a possibility because of how iconic those goals have become. Martyn because he's in the greatest all time XI. After that noone really, Kelly is on lists of all time most appearances but that's it.

Much as many of you will not enjoy hearing this, younger members are better able to tell you who qualifies as a legend since they have less biased views and can tell you which players they know all about through virtue of their status rather than having to look them up or owt. Revie and Bremner and Charles are the extremes, can't go to Elland road without seeing them everywhere. Hunter, Clarke, Charlton, Lorimer, Giles and Gray are other ones which everyone knows about since being a young fan. Others are perhaps not as 'legendary' as those who watched them play might wish. Feel free to shoot me down or disagree :)
A well-written post. I don't agree with all of it, but certainly you have a point about younger fans. It does wind me up though, that in my xpert eleven leagues, there are Liverpool fans who've never heard of Terry McDermott. The youth can often be misguided, while the older can have rose coloured specs. Those Leeds and Liverpool teams that won everything (nearly) between the mid-Sixties and the Eighties can only contain legends, though? I don't care if you've never heard of Paul Reaney, Alec Lindsay, Mick Jones or Steve Heighway, because you were born in 88, and the moment they're placed below Xabi Alonso and Ross McCormack in an all-time top 100, it's a load of old nonsense.

Leeds fans do seem to appreciate their heritage though, unlike other Premier League teams' fans...
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Malcolm Stark wrote: A well-written post. I don't agree with all of it, but certainly you have a point about younger fans. It does wind me up though, that in my xpert eleven leagues, there are Liverpool fans who've never heard of Terry McDermott. The youth can often be misguided, while the older can have rose coloured specs. Those Leeds and Liverpool teams that won everything (nearly) between the mid-Sixties and the Eighties can only contain legends, though? I don't care if you've never heard of Paul Reaney, Alec Lindsay, Mick Jones or Steve Heighway, because you were born in 88, and the moment they're placed below Xabi Alonso and Ross McCormack in an all-time top 100, it's a load of old nonsense.

Leeds fans do seem to appreciate their heritage though, unlike other Premier League teams' fans...
Well certainly there are young people who have absolutely no interest in heritage, I'm sure you could find teenagers who don't know who Churchill or Atlee or even Thatcher were (I mean there are some who don't even know who is currently prime minister). But that doesn't really detract from how famous (or infamous) any of them still are. Same goes for football, it's only worth asking younger fans with at least a passing interest in their club's history.
As to the point about Ross mccormack being above Mick Jones et al, current players can never be given 'legendary' status by the very nature of the word. You might say they have potential to become a legend but only time will tell, posterity will decide ultimately. For the record I doubt any of our current crop will get anywhere near that status, much as I like some of them.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
18longleeds
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by 18longleeds »

Radebe is a Leeds legend , 11 years or so playing for us, and he would play anywhere if needed. He stayed when ac Milan, scum etc were supposedly knocking (could be wrong)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The simple question is: Would Ross McCormack have got into Don Revie's squad? I think the answer is, that if he was on Leeds books at the time, he might have got into the reserve team squad.
I once played against Don Revie.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

johnh wrote:The simple question is: Would Ross McCormack have got into Don Revie's squad? I think the answer is, that if he was on Leeds books at the time, he might have got into the reserve team squad.
I'd ask, if Ross McCormack had been on the bench during the 1970 Cup Final, would he have got on at any point, to add some influence, change the impetus, alter the shape of the game, relieve some tired legs, at any point during the long, hard four hours of that Final?

The type of player McCormack is, I'd say definitely yes. Therefore he's better than Mick Bates?
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Malcolm, you could say that about any player - fresh legs are fresh legs. If McCormack had been available at that time he wouldn't have made the bench.
I once played against Don Revie.