Doesn't look good does it?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Pecky10
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Doesn't look good does it?

Post by Pecky10 »

Aces wrote: It is early days I will agree on that, but at the moment it isn't looking that good, that's my opinion, not wanting to argue about it, but on the poll 50% think we will be mid table at best, so i'm not on my own.
The poll I saw shows 50% think we'll be in the play-offs or better - I wouldn't say that means there's a wholesale case of the doldrums here.... I really don't think it's as bad as some people like to purport ;)

A few months ago, when BMc came in, more than one person (not just me!) said they were happy to build for the future, get promotion with a team that's capable of staying up even if that took 2-3 years.... funny how much that's changed with two weeks of the season to go isn't it? We're back to everything being around buying players for big bucks to get instant success :roll:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I'll settle for season of progress, more entertaining football, tighter defense along with the previously mentioned changes season tickets radio etc. And of course no thmping Tuesday night home defeats. If that adds up to a play off place or Auto :silent: wont say the word then yes I'll be over the moon.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Managers expect to be able to sign the players they want, its not for them to worry about the finances - that's for the chairman. Paraphrasing something DO'L said a decade ago before it all went pear shaped. A lot of owners/chairmen make assurances to incoming managers that turn out to have small print conditions. Happens in a lot of clubs. I'm sure its not the first time its happened to BMD either.

However look at the limitation - its a one out one in, reduce the wage bill before increasing it. It's not a sell players to make your own transfer kitty! Sounds like they are running it as a business and finding it harder to sell-on players, so putting the caveat on new signings to ensure the don't get caught out at the start of the season.
Pecky10 wrote:
A few months ago, when BMc came in, more than one person (not just me!) said they were happy to build for the future, get promotion with a team that's capable of staying up even if that took 2-3 years.... funny how much that's changed with two weeks of the season to go isn't it? We're back to everything being around buying players for big bucks to get instant success :roll:
Yes, and I've seen "GFH out" posts else where like YEP/FB. Fans are an impatient lot who want there cake and eat it - build for the future but also get a few ready-made players for instant success. lol
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

O'Leary's a great example of a manager not worrying about the financial side of transfer dealings :mrgreen:
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Pecky10 wrote:
Aces wrote: A few months ago, when BMc came in, more than one person (not just me!) said they were happy to build for the future, get promotion with a team that's capable of staying up even if that took 2-3 years....
Yep, I was one of the said few, and I'll put it even simpler, I just want the club to progress this season and get better. To achieve that we don't have to go up.

Since getting back in the Championship we have slowly gone backwards in a Michael Jackson moonwalk style, slowly and systematically selling off all the best players and never once attempting to replace them.

This season (so far, touch wood), we have added quality, and kept the better players. That's progress, and lets hope by saying that I have not bloody jinxed it!
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

I've read a few interesting comments on this thread about the financial fair play regulations that are now in force and took some time out to read the rules and consider the implications for ourselves. It is evidently clear to me that for GFH to invest large sums of money into a transfer kitty now, would be to create a massive risk of severe financial penalty in the future if that investment were to not pay off (see Leicester if you want to go down the ""speculate to accumulate argument"). For the coming season, Leeds will breach the "fair play" rules if we were to incur losses of more than £3 million - which, if they were to invest the £5 million to £7 million suggested by Aces and others, would, in my opinion be highly likely.
If, for example, we were to lose £8 million and get promotion, then the impact of this would be a fine of the order of £5 million. This fine would rise by £800,000 for every £1,000,000 over that limit.
If we were to not get promoted, a transfer embargo would be applied the following season until we could demonstrate balancing our books. That represents a potential "meltdown" of our playing strength.
To put it another way, if we gambled even relatively small amounts (by today's premiership standards) and failed, we would end up having to sell off every playing asset we had to balance the books. (Deja vu anyone?)
The shining light at the end of our tunnel is our Academy, investment in which is exempt in the financial fair play regulations. If I were GFH and had a couple of million to spend, I'd put it into improving our "grass roots" players facilities and take the time to build the club. This might seem frustrating for us supporters, but that's the constraint that the ffp regulations are putting on clubs.
In summary, I assess what GFH are apparently doing is absolutely right, and I support their strategy and tactics 100% (apart from that lousy away kit :wtf: )
We're on our way to....
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

When I started out my career a wise man once told me fairness is for children. Just like like billy, norman and johney would leave have a foot for the ball and one for the man when going into a tackle. Top business people find a way round obstacles, and impose their own rules. FFP MY ARSE, ..actually within the boundaries of FPP I suspect we could easily spend an additional £5m on transfer fees and wages each year for the next 4 seasons. Transfer fees could be capitalised. However I digress why oh why do you think city are spending in excess of £200m on their sporting "academy" which might just encompass a mall, hotel and flats which all might just provide a revenue stream to supplement football income. GFH COULD FREE up the thick end of £5m of working capital pa overnight with the legitimate acquisition of the ground and TA. Sad fact is they are skint members hoping for the equivilent of a lottery win to get us up. No they are not as bad as bates, but he sure made sure he sold us to owners who couldn't really demonstrate what a ( fill in the expletive) he was!!
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/2013072 ... um=twitter
News we've been all been waiting for.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Pecky10 wrote:
Aces wrote: It is early days I will agree on that, but at the moment it isn't looking that good, that's my opinion, not wanting to argue about it, but on the poll 50% think we will be mid table at best, so i'm not on my own.
The poll I saw shows 50% think we'll be in the play-offs or better - I wouldn't say that means there's a wholesale case of the doldrums here.... I really don't think it's as bad as some people like to purport ;)

I might be on my own on this, but I thought we would have been spending more than £1 million pounds this transfer window after being taken over. I might be expecting too much and like I have said, it's no guarantee of promotion. If I recall we have sold players over the last two years and I'm not certain of this, but this money hasn't been spent on new payers, I know most of the money gained for our players like Johnson, Clayton, Howson, Snodgrass and Bechio was before we were took over, but I personally expected more funds. You say we should build a team for the future, but we have sold our so called better players and what's to say that won't carry on happening. I hope it doesn't I hope some great youngsters come through, I can wait, but I want to see us retain our better players, not let them go for less than they are worth.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Aces wrote:
Pecky10 wrote:

I might be on my own on this, but I thought we would have been spending more than £1 million pounds this transfer window after being taken over. I might be expecting too much and like I have said, it's no guarantee of promotion. If I recall we have sold players over the last two years and I'm not certain of this, but this money hasn't been spent on new payers, I know most of the money gained for our players like Johnson, Clayton, Howson, Snodgrass and Bechio was before we were took over, but I personally expected more funds. You say we should build a team for the future, but we have sold our so called better players and what's to say that won't carry on happening. I hope it doesn't I hope some great youngsters come through, I can wait, but I want to see us retain our better players, not let them go for less than they are worth.
I know nobody can say for certain we wont sell our best players, but all we do know is it hasn't happend yet, many expected Byram to go to Man City, he hasn't and think it would have happend under Bates.
Every player has his price though, would be foolish to think different. However unlike the Bates regime i would hope the money from any sales would go into the managers transfer kitty. Again until the situation arises we should give GFH the benefit of doubt.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.