Leeds United's Top 100 players. Do you agree?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Leeds United's Top 100 players. Do you agree?

Post by Aces »

Aces wrote:The following team was voted the greatest ever Leeds United team by supporters and announced on 10 April 2006 on the Leeds United Web-site.[2] A formal dinner also took place to reward all the players voted into the team.
Nigel Martyn (1996–2003)
Paul Reaney (1962–1978)
Norman Hunter (1962–1976)
Jack Charlton (1952–1973)
Terry Cooper (1963–1974)
Peter Lorimer (1962–1979, 1983–1985)
Billy Bremner (1959–1976)
Johnny Giles (1963–1975)
Eddie Gray (1965–1983)
Allan Clarke (1969–1977)
John Charles (1948–1957, 1962)
Who would win between these two teams?

Robinson
Irwin
Ferdinand
McQueen
Sterland
Speed
Batty
Strachan
Cantona
Hasselbaink
Yeboah
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Robinson, Irvin, sterland, speed, and much as I love him batty, would be nowhere near. At their peak you coud make a case for the others alongside jordan & radabe. Although they hardly played for Leeds yeboah and cantona would have been some combination.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Thing is, that team starting with Robinson is not based on how those players performed for Leeds. Every team in the land could present a "what if we'd had him at his peak XI" that would be outstanding, so I don't think it's fair to put in, say, Irwin. I mean, why not have Seaman in there instead of Robbo by that logic ?

Take my local club, Southampton.
Off the top of my head, their "What If" team would look like this:

Peter Shilton

Mick Mills
Dave Watson
Mark Wright
Wayne Bridge

Alan Ball
Matt Le Tissier
Jimmy Case

Kevin Keegan
Mick Channon
Alan Shearer

Of course, neither that nor the Robinson, Irwin, Ferdinand side would get anywhere near our Revie side in whatever guise it turned out.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Thing is, that team starting with Robinson is not based on how those players performed for Leeds. Every team in the land could present a "what if we'd had him at his peak XI" that would be outstanding, so I don't think it's fair to put in, say, Irwin. I mean, why not have Seaman in there instead of Robbo by that logic ?

Peter Shilton

Mick Mills
Dave Watson
Mark Wright
Wayne Bridge

Alan Ball
Matt Le Tissier
Jimmy Case

Kevin Keegan
Mick Channon
Alan Shearer

Of course, neither that nor the Robinson, Irwin, Ferdinand side would get anywhere near our Revie side in whatever guise it turned out.
And no Gareth Bale ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Aces wrote:
Aces wrote:The following team was voted the greatest ever Leeds United team by supporters and announced on 10 April 2006 on the Leeds United Web-site.[2] A formal dinner also took place to reward all the players voted into the team.
Nigel Martyn (1996–2003)
Paul Reaney (1962–1978)
Norman Hunter (1962–1976)
Jack Charlton (1952–1973)
Terry Cooper (1963–1974)
Peter Lorimer (1962–1979, 1983–1985)
Billy Bremner (1959–1976)
Johnny Giles (1963–1975)
Eddie Gray (1965–1983)
Allan Clarke (1969–1977)
John Charles (1948–1957, 1962)
Who would win between these two teams?

Robinson
Irwin
Ferdinand
McQueen
Sterland
Speed
Batty
Strachan
Cantona
Hasselbaink
Yeboah
or even
Harvey
Kelly
Radebe
Woodgate
Dorigo
Currie
McAllister
Madeley
Graham
Mckenzie
Jones
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

rigger wrote:Thing is, that team starting with Robinson is not based on how those players performed for Leeds. Every team in the land could present a "what if we'd had him at his peak XI" that would be outstanding, so I don't think it's fair to put in, say, Irwin. I mean, why not have Seaman in there instead of Robbo by that logic ?

Peter Shilton

Mick Mills
Dave Watson
Mark Wright
Wayne Bridge

Alan Ball
Matt Le Tissier
Jimmy Case

Kevin Keegan
Mick Channon
Alan Shearer

I only put an alternative team down of other top players that have played for us, not necessarily for a long time, or if they were super stars elsewhere. Ferdinand played for England well over 50 times and at his piqué he was an amazing centre half. Robinson also played a lot of games for England, I'm not saying he was a great goalie, but have we had a great goalie play for Leeds, just as I was typing, I remembered David Seaman, so I should have put him in. Batty again, he played a lot of international games as well. TBH I wouldn't swap any of the team I picked with the original Leeds team picked in 2006, I was just commenting on how they would have faired against that great side, with John Charles in it. Sure would have liked to see them go head to head with each other.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Dennis Irwin won 7 premiership titles, 2 FA cups and a Champions league, which is some going, plus 56 appearances for Ireland. Rio Ferdinand played 81 times for England, Paul Robinson 41 times and David Batty 42 times according to Wikipedia. I'm not saying this makes them as good, or even better than the great side, but to me it shows they were top players.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

rigger wasn't arguing any of them weren't ever top players, just that they weren't at their best when at Leeds, they were only truly top players at other clubs. Not all of them, but a good few of them.

Bale and Oxlade Chamberlain surely to add to the Saints' 'What if' XI.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

I would say Rio was at his best when he was at Leeds. O'Leary & staff turned him from a good footballer into a World class defender. His performances in WC2000 highlighted that.
When Batty returned to the club for his swan song. His influence when he played was outstanding. We hardly seemed to lose when he played. His range of passing was never better.
Paul Robinson also probably at his best when at Leeds and maybe should have gone to achieve more.
Saying all that they all would struggle to get near Revie's team.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

SMorientes wrote:rigger wasn't arguing any of them weren't ever top players, just that they weren't at their best when at Leeds, they were only truly top players at other clubs. Not all of them, but a good few of them.

Bale and Oxlade Chamberlain surely to add to the Saints' 'What if' XI.
I didn't think he was anywhere near arguing TBH.