fao our ROI members

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

fao our ROI members

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What's the word out there about McDermott is one of the favourites for taking over the national team ?
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 972

Re: fao our ROI members

Post by Deleted User 972 »

Well according to the early reports mcdermott is in the mix along with hughton,mick mcarthy and the bookies clear favourite martin o neil. Alot of irish people want hughton but i cant see him taking it.mcarthy cant happen hes too low level it would never work. I myself would love to see a young fresh manager with new ideas so i would opt for di matteo but no one has mentioned him. The fans arent really talking about mcdermott because the majority of them dont appreciate how good a manager he is.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

BmD i think is a club manager and no way would he walk out on Leeds just a few months after taking over, this is his biggest challemge and as he stated many times he has the hunger to succeed at Leeds more so because of how it ended with Reading last season, besides tne irish job isnt something id even do there so bad
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Question - Is McDermott of Irish background? Secondly I'm not sure McDermott is that great a manager! In the limited time he has been here he has done well. But this is a manager who was sacked by slough, Woking & reading - he is hardly Brian Clough yet. Certainly in terms of track record he is behind the other 3. Regardless, I can't see him leaving us, I think he has fallen for us. He may use it as an opportunity to renegotiate his contract though! Dare I say it, it might be a job for warnock, long ball, big jack and all that.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

CorkWhite wrote:BmD i think is a club manager and no way would he walk out on Leeds just a few months after taking over,
That's what they said about Jock Stein at Leeds :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 972

Post by Deleted User 972 »

theres no chance of warnock getting the job the irish fans are sick of long ball and negative football and we just someone who can pick the right players and have a go at teams and mcdermott could certainly do that.he wouldnt be my first or second choice but id be happy enough with him out of the realistic targets.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:BmD i think is a club manager and no way would he walk out on Leeds just a few months after taking over,
That's what they said about Jock Stein at Leeds :roll:
Very true :D but still i do think Leeds Utd has got into BmD skin.

I for one would be unhappy if he took the Ireland job if offered it because i do think he has the ability to bring us higher, but i'm not sure he has the same ability for a job where he cant transfer players, what makes a good international manager is his coaching skills, BmD has good scouting skills but has he got the coaching skills to be an international manager? I haven't seen enough of it to really say so, and very few do but when they do its recognised early on in the careers.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

For McDermott to leave us now would be a disaster, we actually have a manager who is a planner and thats exactly what we need.

I think, and I hope that Ireland will want a bigger name.
Barney
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Barney »

isrodger wrote:Question - Is McDermott of Irish background? Secondly I'm not sure McDermott is that great a manager! In the limited time he has been here he has done well. But this is a manager who was sacked by slough, Woking & reading - he is hardly Brian Clough yet. Certainly in terms of track record he is behind the other 3. Regardless, I can't see him leaving us, I think he has fallen for us. He may use it as an opportunity to renegotiate his contract though! Dare I say it, it might be a job for warnock, long ball, big jack and all that.
I remember reading an interview BMcD gave to an Irish newspaper a few years ago whilst at Reading. He said that his ultimate goal in management was to one day manage his country (his country being Ireland). He said one of the biggest regrets of his career was accepting an England underage call up whilst he was an arsenal youth,thus making him ineligible for any future Ireland call ups. He said he only ever wanted to play for Ireland and he only accepted the call up because of pressure being put on him by arsenal at the time. Apparently he was looking to earn a pro contract and it wouldn't have looked good if he'd turned down England at the time.
The FAI chief executive apparently named him as a potential candidate today. Can't see him getting it over some of the guys also named. Hope he doesn't either cos Leeds means far more to me than Ireland does! Interestingly Dave o'leary is apparently another name on the short list although the smart money seems to be on Martin o'neill.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

I doubt its the right time for BMD, much better he makes a success at Leeds and increase his stock value. I just hope there isn't now lots of talk by fans saying we can't let him go until an Ireland manager is found. Our fans seem to lack backbone and full of pessimism when it comes to the possibility of players going - it got tedious over RMC.