A couple of VERY lucky results (look at Middlesborough!)

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: A couple of VERY lucky results (look at Middlesborough!)

Post by birkybullufc »

The first half performance today was a lot better than mediocre. Losing 3-2 when 2-0 up will always be disappointing but no need to overreact. Redfearn isn't a genius. He is just working very hard at getting the team doing things properly and doing an excellent job. Defensive mistakes of old crept in today but Watford are a very good side. They have a team full of players who would be stars at Leeds; Vydra, Deeney, Watson, Anya, Gomes.
But our players are improving and with a bit more quality added in the summer we should do fine next season.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I take your point, but they seem to be 'together' if that makes any sense.

Any celebration of a goal, is generally followed by twitter feeds with pictures with the 'young guns' generally featured. I honestly think, like us, they live and breathe Leeds United Football Club, that might be wishful thinking on my part, and approaches in the summer may change minds, but I just get that feeling.

I could be wrong, but I really do think we are on the verge of something, if we give it a little bit of patience (I appreciate we have given that in abundance for how ever many years we care to remember).
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I can see both sides of this discussion and there is actually no way of knowing what will happen and to some extent it is out of our hands. IF Premiership clubs want to take a punt on Cook, Byram, Mowatt and Taylor then I agree it will be very difficult to keep them purely because of the quick chance they will see of Prem football but more obviously because of the money they could earn. I somehow doubt Mowatt will be a target as he is IMO only borderline in our own side - he is too one footed, too slow, and does not have the stamina for 90 minutes. The rest may well be worth a punt.
I hope we can keep them all and somehow we need to add 5 or 6 better players to the group - even Redfearn said this himself tonight in his post match chat with Eddie Gray. I can't agree with calling Redfearn poor (or whatever the word was that was used above) - I think he has worked out his best eleven or 12 players and is getting the max out of them. It is not his fault that we are still short of cover and also short of those other quality players we need - he is not responsible for recruitment and is working with what he has. He also seems confident that we have other young players on the fringe of breaking through - again we saw Walters on the bench today and I am sure he will get a run soon - and he was looking superb in pre season. He mentioned Philiips and Dawson tonight too . All is not lost but I take the point we need to get lucky between now and next season to not lose the good players we have, find a way around the embargo to strengthen, and then to hit th ground running in 2015/16.
shayod
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by shayod »

I never said that Redfearn was "poor" - he just doesn't have the experience and I disagree with those Watford players being household names? Even Deeney is only known as a journeyman footballer. It just seems to me that despite ownership changes, managerial changes etc etc we seen destined to stay as a Championship team who may or not survive in that league from year to year, who will lose their best young players to "Premiership" sides (Norwich!!!) and, unless we get a REALLY good manager or a new owner with the kind of money that City's owners have, will ALWAYS be like that.

It truly depresses me to say that but I don't see anything else on the horizon for Leeds.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

shayod wrote:I never said that Redfearn was "poor"
Not in so many words, but you did say "suddenly everyone thinks Redfearn is a genius!" which by inference means you think he is poor.

shayod wrote:Even Deeney is only known as a journeyman footballer.
By whom ? He's only played for two clubs and he averages a goal every three games, having scored a hundred as a pro. He's an excellent player at this level and it's not the first time he's put us to the sword.
shayod wrote: ... destined to stay as a Championship team .. will ALWAYS be like that.
If football is anything, it's cyclical - you simply cannot say that. Bournemouth and Brentford prove anything can happen .. just as Wigan and Wolves prove it in another way.
I don't know how old you are, but in my lifetime we've spent approximately a decade in the top flight, followed by ten years in Division 2 (as was) then another ten at the top, followed by the current period mostly in The Championship .. we're due a trip back up real soon .. hang in there, kid.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

rigger wrote: You sound like a walking copy of The Sun ...
:lol: :lol:
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

They will stay because Cellino will pay them because he wants promotion.
Get the kettle on
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Get the kettle on »

Cellino doesn't want a manager and i'd be very surprised if he did any kind of 'u turn' on this matter. To this end Redders needs the fans support. I can't get to the games and i stand to be corrected by those who have more knowlege of our team under Redders stewardship but it seems to me like Redfearn (and his assistant) are doing good work and so is the team. Also, aren't Watford the top scorers in the country?
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

I don't think the original poster was applying logic or reason so it would be fruitless to try and apply it in any response.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Watford are 3rd and on a great run of results. Its no consolation, but losing unluckily on Saturday
was not a poor result. At least compared to the some of the results we have had t put up with in recent years.

And also Brighton have just won 3 of the last 4, so we haven't been beaten by dross.

agree that if Wigan lose tomorrow night, that bottom three are looking most likely to go down.
If Wigan go down, we could do worse than sign James Mc Clean as a wide player.