Leeds Memorabilia

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds Memorabilia

Post by Selby White »

I started as an apprentice Electrician in 1974 and remember my first wage was £17 and the company i worked for were one of the better ones, other lads who went elsewhere got £12 upwards.

Was 16 at the time, my year was the first ones that had to stay at school until that age so everywhere had gone two years without employing school leavers.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Talking Memorabilia has anyone got the Esso coin collection of FA cup winners to celebrate the centenary cup final in 1972, got a coin with every couple of gallons.

I've got full set in the proper folder, great the Leeds coin is at the top and think is bigger than the rest (that could be memory playing tricks will have to dig it out and check).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Billy the kid
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Billy the kid »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
Billy the kid wrote:2/6 probably wouldn't even buy you a programme in 1975. His fee was £10 which wasn't bad. A skilled working man was probably on about £50 a week then but by that time inflation was really kicking off and it wasn't long before he would have been on a £100 a week. I like collecting stuff so I will keep the letters myself.

I don't know if Keith Archer is still around. In the film The Damned United the actor playing him appears at 5:10 in the following clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvHOcJPxrJs
Keith Archer is very much alive :D He is probably in his home right now, 300 or so yards away from me slaving away on my laptop. I'm actually going to pop in to see him before going to the game tonight, as he is a keen stamp collector (or was) and I have a few old albums I'd like him to see. His son is one of my oldest, best buddies.
That's good news. It's a pity he isn't still running the admin at Leeds. They wouldn't be in the mess they are in now.
Billy the kid

Post by Billy the kid »

johnh wrote:In 1975 a skilled man would have been on at least £100 per week, maybe a bit more. Inflation kicked in a few years earlier so had already had an effect. When I moved south in 1969 I was on £2.5k p.a. and that included the southern 'weighting'. By 1975 I was on £8k p.a. (same job). In 1976 I got a mega promotion which trebled my responsibilities. There was a Labour government in and they had introduced a pay freeze. My reward for my big promotion was £300 p.a. :shock: Still feel a bit miffed. :D
You were getting more than treble my wage in 1975, but I was a very unskilled worker. I would guess that you were getting more than most Second Division footballers if you were on £8k in 1975.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Billy the kid wrote:I was a very unskilled worker
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant !
I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe themselves as that before :mrgreen:
Billy the kid

Post by Billy the kid »

rigger wrote:
Billy the kid wrote:I was a very unskilled worker
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant !
I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe themselves as that before :mrgreen:
But it is true. I only did unskilled work and I wasn't any good at that. I couldn't even hold down a job as a dustbin man. I was sacked because I couldn't carry the bins without dropping stuff. You have to try carrying a bin full of ash to understand how difficult that job could be. In those days you put the bin on your shoulders and tipped it in the back of the van yourself.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

1981 I was on about £40 per week at 18 years of age at that time unemployment was at an all time high. I hated my jod in the Post Office. I had a run in with my boss (didn't handle run ins as well I did later in life) so walked out. No benefits for 8 weeks a few slaps from me dad for no income and no beers at the weekend with mates.
Joined the army then Police went from £28 per fortnight unemployment benefit (3 weeks in total) in 1882 to £1800 a month in 1985 to over £2500 in 1990, not a bad salary those days.

What I have come to realise a few years ago, and to paraphrase something someone once wrote income =£100pm outgoing £90pm =happy income £100pm out goings £110pm = unhappy.

I'm doing a job I love, getting paid a pittance ( yes a good Police pension helps) But I look at where I was heading the salary I "could" ave been on and I'm happy I'm not.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Billy the kid

Post by Billy the kid »

Davycc wrote: What I have come to realise a few years ago, and to paraphrase something someone once wrote income =£100pm outgoing £90pm =happy income £100pm out goings £110pm = unhappy.
You're thinking of Wilkins Micawber in David Copperfield : "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."

I think a lot of people would be happier if they learned how to live within their means. My company pension isn't much but I think I live like a king.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Davycc wrote: Joined the army then Police went from £28 per fortnight unemployment benefit (3 weeks in total) in 1882 to £1800 a month in 1985 to over £2500 in 1990, not a bad salary those days.
At least you made the most of your free time when you were unemployed and invented a time machine.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

SMorientes wrote:
Davycc wrote: Joined the army then Police went from £28 per fortnight unemployment benefit (3 weeks in total) in 1882 to £1800 a month in 1985 to over £2500 in 1990, not a bad salary those days.
At least you made the most of your free time when you were unemployed and invented a time machine.
Sorry was getting my press ganged days in the RN mixed up.

Wheres the "It's an age thing" thread... bet I'm the oldest lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders