Leeds United Cult Heroes

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United Cult Heroes

Post by Davycc »

Agree with most of the selections but am a tad suprised only Selby White mentioned Gary Kelly. I always thought that he did everything needed when needed without a fuss. Cant really remember him having a total disaster. I don't think we'll ever see another one club player, not in the top 2 divisions anyway. So much depends on fitness now and once that starts to go then most will take a paycheck from a lower league club and move on rather that quit at say 36-38. Of course that fecker Giggs is the exception to my rule.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
SlashNBurn
Giddy Kipper

Post by SlashNBurn »

Andy Hughes.

He scores, we riot.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Davycc wrote:Agree with most of the selections but am a tad suprised only Selby White mentioned Gary Kelly. I always thought that he did everything needed when needed without a fuss. Cant really remember him having a total disaster. I don't think we'll ever see another one club player, not in the top 2 divisions anyway. So much depends on fitness now and once that starts to go then most will take a paycheck from a lower league club and move on rather that quit at say 36-38. Of course that fecker Giggs is the exception to my rule.

That's the thing, Davy, I think Gary Kelly, for what he's done, is in the Club Legends category.

Cult Heroes is something totally different. Like Duncan McKenzie or Tony Yeboah.

For Newcastle, Temuri Ketsbaia and Asprilla are probably cult heroes, rather than club legends.

That's how I see it, anyhow! :)
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Malcolm Stark wrote:Nice story. I like the fact that McGovern has no bitter memories of his short time at Leeds, even though it must have been a miserable time. Every time I hear him, he's a funny, straight-talking bloke.

Might he have eventually succeeded under Jimmy Armfield? Maybe, but we'll never know.
Don't think either of them were that happy when they realised I was a Leeds fan if I'm honest :D Neither of them were ever given a chance, McGovern was actually a really good player but the fans were on their backs from Day 1. If you are to believe everything you see and hear McKenzie was Clough's ears and eyes in the dressing room reporting all the goings on back to Clough. This is actually portrayed in the Damned United.

I've just looked up that O'Hare played 6 games and McGovern 4 for us, if memory serves me correctly I don't think either played for Leeds post Clough. Hopefully there's someone on here that can confirm that.
Thing is, The Damned Utd, the book not the film, never shows Duncan McKenzie betraying any changing room confidences. Cloughie badgered him, and badgered him, but there was never any juice spilt.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

Mr Russell wrote:ok here's some of mine

Tony Currie
Vinny Jones
Arthur Graham
Duncan McKenzie
Ian Baird
David Batty
Ray Hankin
Joe Jordan

And if i was going on Notthingham Whites reasons for a cult hero (1st Leeds goalscorer etc)
Vince Hilaire

Aces i could start that thread which would include Rachubka but i don't think the Admin would approve ;)

On the 1st Leeds scorer basis mine is Strachan, but he ia an absolute LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!! If we're going by my 1st Leeds goal it was the Sunderland full back who defelected Swans cross on Boxing Day at Elland Road circa 1985 to give us a 1 all draw. Att: 33,000.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

"Michael Bridges performances in the UEFA Cup especially were top drawer."

Yes I agree 100%. I was working in London then and there were some early kick-offs, so I used to bunk off early to watch those games in my B&B.

He was a goal machine at that time.
Last edited by mapperleywhite on 20 Sep 2013, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

I liked Michael Bridges. Was delighted when he signed for Newcastle. Doesn't matter he wasn't that brilliant, still was class.
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

I'll throw in Eirik Bakke as a cult hero. :thumbup:
Deleted User 1076

Post by Deleted User 1076 »

Phil Masinga
Vinny Jones
Robert Molenaar
Rod Walace